guests in wheelchairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LivingtheDream

Original Poster
Ok ... I'm probably gonna get ripped for this, but I have to ask .... has anyone else noticed, when they are at the parks, the high number of people in wheelchairs (mostly disney owned) that don't seem to need to be in one? ... I was at MK yesterday and, after seeing someone literally jump right out of the chair to get on Snow White, kept a count of how many times I observed it ... the total was nine times .... now, I'm not trying to say that there are not legitimate ppl out there that need to use a wheelchair, and I thank God that my family nor i need one, but it made me think that there are some out there that try and use the wheelchair as a way to avoid waiting in the lines, and that disgusts me .... does anyone know if there is a certain criteria for renting a wheelchair at WDW? ( like, you can't walk up and rent one) ....

DisneyChik17

What disgusts me is that while me & my family are conscious of people in the wheelchairs, many in wheelchairs are not conscious of people on foot. My mother was ran into by a woman in an EVC while standing and waiting for our meal. There was no excuse me. There was no real apology either. Then the next day the same lady was at AK and we saw her run a woman's foot over while she was standing. And she was not in the middle of the walkway, she was off to the side with her group. It was ridiculous.

I also don't agree with people wrongfully using the wheelchairs. I know many have disabilities that are not totally visible and may need that chair, but you can tell some really don't need it.

It's truly sad that people cannot just be honest and suck it up.

Champion

Do you mean wheelchairs or the motorized scooters?

I am fine if they are in a wheelchair, sometimes there are things wrong that you just can't see. And with the wheelchair at least someone is making an effort to move it, whether that be the person in the chair or someone pushing them.

However. When I see people riding the motorized scooters for no other reason than because they are fat and too lazy to walk, well, its time Disney does something about that.

I can see Disney having to make a 'no scooters or wheelchairs without a medical excuse' rule. If someone forgets or doesn't know the rule, you give them the wheelchair and say 'we trust you, just make sure you're aware next trip'. It would cut down on the huge amount of lazies.

PigletIsMyCat

But what would the criteria be?

I have a major foot problem that, on occassion, necessitates a wheelchair, which I rent from the parks. I do not have a disability. I do not have a handicapped parking permit. I do not carry a medical report with me.

Also, those 'fat and lazy' people who are on the scooters may well be fat, but they may have a condition that 1)causes their weight 2)prohibits them from walking, regardless of their weight.

But I get your point. I'm fat AND lazy, but that's not why I need a wheelchair :lol:

TwoTigersMom

First of all, LivingTheDream, I'm not ripping you, but was there really a need to start another thread on this subject? There are many threads already like this one if you wanted other's point of views.

Secondly, pertaining to this comment "When I see people riding the motorized scooters for no other reason than because they are fat and too lazy to walk", Champion who are you to judge whether someone is legitimately in need of a wheel chair or not? Are you a doctor? Have you done a complete physical on them to make sure they are in need? If not, then you can't judge. No one can judge another's pain.

As far as the rudeness of people in wheelchairs, there are just as many people that are able bodied and walking around WDW that are rude, if not more. I am very fortunate that I do not have to ride in a wheel chair but I have family and friends who do. They don't appear to the gerneral public to be in need of one, but they do need it.

Basically, just be greatful your not stuck in one on your trip and go about your day. Just because you don't see the need does not mean there isn't one.

memobrien

I'm sorry I jsut feel the need to comment here for a few reasons.

1. Not everyone has disabilities that are visible to the naked eye. MANY, MANY people have issues that would prevent them from being able to walk the disances required at WDW. However they would be fine to get up to ambulate into the ride.

For example, my DH had a LARGE tumor that was pressing on nerves in his leg the last time we went to WDW. to the naked eye he would have looked fine. However he was unable to walk for more than about 20 feet with out having HORRIBLE pain. It would also cause his back to spasm. Now did he get up without issue to walk form the chair to the ride, yup. But did he need a chair to get around...totally!!

2. If there is someone who was jsut renting a piece of equipment to get to the head of the line...shame on them! but at the end of the day they are the ones that have to look at themselves... and you know what they say about what goes around comes around.

3.As far as people being rude with the chairs or scooters, I have 2 different issues. First when I was younger I was on a trip to WDW with my family and I actually fell in Disney and fractured my ankle. I had to get a chair so that I could get around the park. I can't tell you how many people let their kids run into me when i was literally sitting still in the chair. People hit me, pushed my chair out of the way and were soooo rude you can't image it.

Second part... my DH ended up needing his leg to be amputated and walked for the last 2 years with crutches. We have had people trip him, hit his crutches, push into him and all kind of other things that you can't even image. So my question is this...was it my fault or his that we needed the aides to move? Did that somehow give people a license to not see us, be rude and NEVER apologize? Has my husband bumped into people with his wheelchair - of course he has. accidents happen! and you don't always know it has happened.

My personal comment is that if you are concerned with how people behave, you should model the behavior you want. If you bump into someone, do you say your sorry? If someone hits you, try saying something - nicely - to them. Maybe they aren't aware that they did it.

Maura

eeyoremum

I am going to reply from the other point of view. My husband is disabled. He was hurt in an industrial accident years ago. If you looked at him you would not be aware of his disability I have been after him to get a motorized scooter for years and he is finally agreed.

If you see my husband in the park you would not see his injury. You may think his is lazy, or trying to cheat the system. Without getting too personal I will tell you the last 10 years has been *ell. My husband cannot go to the mall and walk for even 1 hour without spending 4 more hours in bed. The medication my husband takes just to make throught the day would floor any other person.

Sorry to sound so defensive. I think it is important for people to understand that just because people maybe able to "jump out of their scooter" for a ride does not mean they can walk the park all day long.

kcnole

I think you aren't judge to qualify who needs one. My wife looks perfectly healthy but can't walk around in a theme park all day. So she rides around in a wheelchair after about half a day, and then we get one. She gets out of it to get on rides and then gets back in it. More than once I've had some jerk say something to her about how she shouldn't be using one because she doesn't "look" handicap. Its been all I could do to restrain myself in those situations.

So sure, do some people abuse them? Of course, but is every person that you see riding around in one who doesn't look handicap doing so? Hardly.

Badger Brent

My daughter broke her leg and injured her knee 5 years ago in a sledding accident. She had her knee scoped in Nov. and had her knee cap adjusted a lot and major scar tissue removed among other things. They told us she has the knee of an 65 year old person and will live with arthritis the rest her life. You would have to come up close to her scars from the surgeries, but the unseen things going on with her knee still to this day hurt her. She's 16 and after the last two trips, she waits until her knee pain gets unbearable and swells up before she will get the wheelchair. She absolutely hates the glares from people as she gets in and out of the wheelchair. We to have seen abuse of wheelchairs, but not by all. Like other's have said, some injuries can't be seen visually from the outside. Here's how we approach the use of the wheelchair for rides or attractions. If the wait is longer than listed time of 45 minutes, we use the wheelchair access. Less, she will wait in the standby line or FP line. Quite frankly, it's a pain in the butt to use this around the parks. I'm thankful she doesn't have to use this on a daily basis like others in life. A little more understanding and compassion in the world today would be awesome. Just a little give and take in life and it could be fun. ;)

lilmizpixie3

I believe some people think they can get on rides faster if they rent a wheel chair and don't need them. This use to be the case, but now if you are in a wheelchair you might go through a special line but you still have to wait for your party to catch up. There are very few rides that let you skip the whole line and get on faster...duhhhh:brick:

For those who actually need wheel chairs it doesnt really bother me. What bothers me the MOST is the crazy stroller drivers who hit your heels as you walk through the parks. Especially at night when you are trying to get out of the parks.:fork:

fossilizedtrees

What bothers me is when a whole group of people will walk up with someone in a wheelchair to get on a ride. I thought there was some rule about only one person being able to go with them because, well it only takes one person to push it.
I mean it's more of an access thing. if your group really wants to stay together, the person who needs the handicap access can wait for their group (with their helper)
to get through the line couldn't they?

Of course there are many people who need to use wheelchairs and I feel terribly sorry for them, and getting on theme park rides a bit quicker is no compensation for their disability, but I agree with a couple of the earlier posts that this is a growing problem, particularly with the motorised scooters. On a busy day it's hard to go for more than a few minutes without being bumped into / forced to make a hasty leap out of the way / get a nasty scowl off the occupant for just walking on as you were, and it's just as much of a problem with a lot of inconsiderate stroller drivers.

(It's amazing how many drivers of the motorised scooters are perfectly able to waddle over to the cashier at Electric Umbrella or Pecos Bill and come back with six bacon double cheeseburgers and 32oz Cokes.)

I think Disney should bend over backwards to be as helpful as it possibly can be to disabled people, and I don't see how it can possibly do anything about the people who rent the scooters just because they can't be bothered to walk, so it's hard to think of a solution.

DisneyChik17

My daughter broke her leg and injured her knee 5 years ago in a sledding accident. She had her knee scoped in Nov. and had her knee cap adjusted a lot and major scar tissue removed among other things. They told us she has the knee of an 65 year old person and will live with arthritis the rest her life. You would have to come up close to her scars from the surgeries, but the unseen things going on with her knee still to this day hurt her. She's 16 and after the last two trips, she waits until her knee pain gets unbearable and swells up before she will get the wheelchair. She absolutely hates the glares from people as she gets in and out of the wheelchair. We to have seen abuse of wheelchairs, but not by all. Like other's have said, some injuries can't be seen visually from the outside. Here's how we approach the use of the wheelchair for rides or attractions. If the wait is longer than listed time of 45 minutes, we use the wheelchair access. Less, she will wait in the standby line or FP line. Quite frankly, it's a pain in the butt to use this around the parks. I'm thankful she doesn't have to use this on a daily basis like others in life. A little more understanding and compassion in the world today would be awesome. Just a little give and take in life and it could be fun. ;)

This is why I am more sympathetic to the not-so-visible situations that cause people to use wheelchairs and EVCs. When I was 15 I dislocated my knee cap at a soccer practice. In the whole process I lost 90% of the cartridge between my knee cap and leg bones and I tore my MCL. I was on crutches for about 8 weeks. I have 5 scars on my knee, a hole drilled in my kneecap, and a knot in my MCL. I can never really play soccer like I used to and walking all day hurts SO BAD. I don't like wheelchairs so I take a lot of pair relievers, but it still hurts. If I were to need a wheelchair, people would see a healthy 18 year old girl and scoff at the fact that I was in a wheelchair, but they don't know the pain I have in my knee.

I know that sounded like a pity party, but it was just to let you know that your daughter isn't alone. Hopefully they will have something to help people like us out before our age catches up to the age of our knees.

LivingtheDream

Original Poster
wow ... knew I was gonna get ripped but ............... if I offended anyone I apologize .... my only intention was to duscuss if it was a real problem or not ... I in no way intended to offend anyone

DarthCarr

Okay,I'm 17 and when I go to theme parks I need a wheelchair. I am fat and lazy but I need the wheelchair. I have not only a extra bone in my back but a weirdly angled bone in my back,plus have had bad legs before I was fat,I sprained my ankle 2 years ago,and it still acts up badly now and then,and a low tolerence for heat. So do I need a wheelchair? Yes. Can my problems be seen from other people? No. Do I want a job yes,but that is inside and not very hot,and it can't be one where I would have to lift heavy items all the time. Its been a pain looking for "the right job" but I can't really help my situation. My Mom to has problems,and are worse than mine. She walks from the car in a handicap spot,and can hardly breath going into Wal-Mart. She also has Genetic Disc Disease in her back. But these can't be seen by the wondering eye either. So before you judge just think of what I just said. And we too have run into people at Disney,but it has always been a accident,we have said sorry each time we knew it happened. We get dirty looks all the time because we just look Fat and Lazy.

My girlfriend and I play a fun game while at WDW and I would recommend trying this when you go...

It is called "Lazy or Disabled" We also have noticed the growing problem (pun intended) with ECV's. So whenever we come across someone scooting around the world we look at each other and give our opinion. The icing on the cake was one evening we were enjoying wishes when we watched a 55 year old woman climb on top of her ECV and stand-up to get a better view of the fireworks. We were absolutely rolling on the ground laughing. Needless to say “LAZY”!!!!

On a personal note, I have no problem with people using the ECV's if they are truly in need of one, but what a great opportunity to get some exercise while having fun walking around the parks. We are also disgusted by the overweight children that parents stuff in strollers, we have seen obese ten year olds wheeling around in Doublewide Disney strollers. This goes back to my previous point about the amount of healthy activity that one can get without even noticing it.

Check this out, my GF’s mom wore a pedometer one day at Disney and we logged at least 11 miles of walking.

aladdinjrstar

Account Suspended
First of all, LivingTheDream, I'm not ripping you, but was there really a need to start another thread on this subject? There are many threads already like this one if you wanted other's point of views.

Secondly, pertaining to this comment "When I see people riding the motorized scooters for no other reason than because they are fat and too lazy to walk", Champion who are you to judge whether someone is legitimately in need of a wheel chair or not? Are you a doctor? Have you done a complete physical on them to make sure they are in need? If not, then you can't judge. No one can judge another's pain.

As far as the rudeness of people in wheelchairs, there are just as many people that are able bodied and walking around WDW that are rude, if not more. I am very fortunate that I do not have to ride in a wheel chair but I have family and friends who do. They don't appear to the gerneral public to be in need of one, but they do need it.

Basically, just be greatful your not stuck in one on your trip and go about your day. Just because you don't see the need does not mean there isn't one.

Excactly how i felt! I just really coud'ln put it in words. I think that people need to make less of the fat comments. I know TONS of heavy set people and they dont have to take breaks from walking or use wheel chairs. Most overweight poeple do have problems with there feet so they DO need wheel chairs.. ect. Thats what makes me really mad when people make the fat jokes becuase they have NO idea what the person on a wheel chairs story is!!!

TwoTigersMom

Of course there are many people who need to use wheelchairs and I feel terribly sorry for them, and getting on theme park rides a bit quicker is no compensation for their disability, but I agree with a couple of the earlier posts that this is a growing problem, particularly with the motorised scooters. On a busy day it's hard to go for more than a few minutes without being bumped into / forced to make a hasty leap out of the way / get a nasty scowl off the occupant for just walking on as you were, and it's just as much of a problem with a lot of inconsiderate stroller drivers.

Wow, you must really have some sort of magnetism, because during my last 12 day trip to the World, neither I nor anyone in my party encountered any of those situations. You would think if it was such a growing problem and hard to go for more than just a few minutes without it happening, we would have experienced it many times during our trip. Or maybe I was just too busy enjoying WDW and my family to notice any of this.

(It's amazing how many drivers of the motorised scooters are perfectly able to waddle over to the cashier at Electric Umbrella or Pecos Bill and come back with six bacon double cheeseburgers and 32oz Cokes.)

Many folks that must endure riding in a wheel chair or a scooter are still able to walk short distances, just not all day long especially in the hot sun. Again as I said in an earlier post, no one has the right to judge another's pain.

I think Disney should bend over backwards to be as helpful as it possibly can be to disabled people, and I don't see how it can possibly do anything about the people who rent the scooters just because they can't be bothered to walk, so it's hard to think of a solution.

I don't think the solution is hard at all. Go about YOUR day enjoying YOURSELF. If everyone in this world would realize they are responsible for their own actions the world could be a better place. Instead, so many people are to busy policing other people to ensure their own happiness in life.

NadieMasK2

Never judge a book by it's cover. "Lazy or Disabled", well I think that's a petty use of your park time but to each his own I guess. Just seems quite judgemental to me on something that you cannot possibly know one way or the other.

I have been on the other side, after being diagnosed with a kidney disease. Ambulatory people can be just as rude and inconsiderate, it's more about the person not whether they are riding or walking. I had people intentionally slip in front of me after lining up for a parade and sitting there forever. If you are in a wheelchair, you cannot see parades or fireworks, period. Being on the other side gives you a different perspective.

OneLuckyMom

We rented wheelchairs (manual push) for my mother every day last summer on our trip. She does not use a wheelchair normally, but has problems walking for any great length of time - after about an hour, she generally cannot walk anymore because of back and knee problems. In her daily life this isn't an issue, she just doesn't go anywhere that requires that much walking, and does things like shopping in small trips. But at WDW it was a major problem, since the rest of us wanted to do more than 1 hour of stuff a day without feeling like we were ditching my mother all day, or killing her by making her go at our pace! So the wheelchair was the answer. We DID NOT use it to skip any lines - we didn't get the disability pass - we just used it to push her around the park between attractions. She walked onto every single attraction, though the normal lines. We just made sure to fast pass everything we could, or picked things where the wait wasn't long. It allowed both her and my daughter to have an enjoyable vacation, and spend lots of time together.

So don't assume people use the wheelchairs just to bypass lines. Many who use them use them just to get around without extreme pain, and never ask to bypass a single line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom