Guest Surveys as way to gauge interest in new rides/shows: how does this work?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They tend to ask questions while guiding you to their desired response.
Bingo
The anti IP crowd is more about anti IP shoehorning. Shoving IP into places it doesn't fit just for the sake of IP. The majority of people who complain about IP, shoehorning seems to be the main reason. Look no further than Frozen.
Correct...for the 3,456,878th time on a forum that those that don’t agree refuse to read and consider. The “watchers on the wall”
Which always kind of baffles me, what else would they put in. I think it's nostalgia. the days of new long rides not based on a movie are gone and since they are not coming back ever, I'll always vote the other way. Maelstrom was old and hideous, so was The great movie ride. they needed to go or be updated. Now since Disney isn't allowing the imagineers to run free anymore, I'd much rather have Ip.

surveys are tricky affairs. they can be worded and/or manipulated to give a desired outcome. I've gotten quite a few surveys usually after the trip is over, I don't think they use them to make decisions on what goes into the parks but I have no inside track.
What else would they do?

Original ideas...off the top of my head.

But they can’t even do that in MOVIES anymore...so guess that’s not gonna fly, huh?

Last edited:

tl77

My personal feeling is, that in the early years... before Little Mermaid and Roger Rabbit... Disney World was a place focused on Disney Fans, basically an East Coast Disneyland. Between Walt's death in the late 60's and the Little Mermaid in the late 80's the Walt Disney company kind of just coasted along on "nostalgia for the Walt era", people who grew up watching the Mickey Mouse Club and Sunday Night Shows, and knew all the Disney movies by heart. When Epcot was being planned in the late 70's Disney didn't have any "current hit IP" to base attractions around... but that's the Disney World people like me grew up with.

After Roger Rabbit and the Little Mermaid came along, and were such huge hits, Disney started attracting people who weren't necessarily "Disney fans". Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Roger Rabbit, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, were all really popular and had an instant presence in the parks, and also outside IP like Star Wars, Indy, Muppets... began showing up in The (MGM) Studios to help compete with Universal Orlando which opened around that same time. That's the "when" and "why" Disney World started focusing on "current IP" to promote the Parks. Splash Mountain was the last big attraction based on something from that old "Walt era", and it got built just as this change over was happening, and is still only in the first 3 parks built in the "Pre-Little Mermaid era", Anaheim, Orlando, Tokyo.

Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland are both kind of "frozen in time" and seem focused on "Disney Fans" to me, but Orlando has evolved into more of an American Landmark, like Time's Square, or The Hollywood Sign, or Seattle Space Needle, St. Louis Arch... Disney World has become a place lots of people "go to see at least once in their lives", so as a result they've been focusing on attractions "most people" are currently failure with, like Avatar, Marvel, Frozen, Toy Story, or Star Wars... not saying I like it, but that's the reason they seem to do it

eliza61nyc

Bingo
Correct...for the 3,456,878th time on a forum that those that don’t agree refuse do read and consider. The “watchers on the wall”

What else would they do?

Original ideas...off the top of my head.

But they can’t even do that in MOVIES anymore...so guess that’s not gonna fly, huh?
Lol you're right but let me ask you. You KNOW that original ideas are dead, pretty much all in Hollywood and entertainment, heck even my favorite Broadway is pretty much all remakes, but you still cling to this illusion??
Just me, but isn't that a bit like being a prize fighter thinking he can win a fight while being down to the 9 count.

We do understand and consider the premise of Ip in wrong places, it's more of the fact that we accept what the current corporate management is willing to do and we choose the greater of two choices. Again, No there is no 3rd choice, Disney is not at this time going back, so yes for the 400th thousands time many folks will take a good Ip in the weird place over a horrible ride in the correct spot. Maelstrom was a horrible ride, so I'll take frozen every day and twice on Sunday. Ellen's universe was a disgrace, it was old and boring. So yep I was estatic to learn they were getting rid of it even if it was with an inappropriate Ip.

But to your point, yes I concede that GotG has nothing to do with the old Epcot. Thank the good lord.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

so yes for the 400th thousands time many folks will take a good Ip in the weird place over a horrible ride in the correct spot. Maelstrom was a horrible ride, so I'll take frozen every day and twice on Sunday. Ellen's universe was a disgrace, it was old and boring. So yep I was estatic to learn they were getting rid of it even if it was with an inappropriate Ip.
To be fair, Maelstrom wasn't a horrible ride, it was horribly maintained. If the effects/AAs... had been updated and not left rotting, maybe people feel differently. Universe of energy was the same way.

eliza61nyc

To be fair, Maelstrom wasn't a horrible ride, it was horribly maintained. If the effects/AAs... had been updated and not left rotting, maybe people feel differently. Universe of energy was the same way.
Great point, absolutely agree. I often wonder why no one in mouse headquarters thought to do that. Sometimes I feel as if the parks are sort of " the land that time forgot". It's like they built them and then packed up and left.
As much as I disliked The great movie ride, I do feel bad because even I could think of 14 ways the ride could have been upgraded and made relevant/interesting.
How does a company almost forget they have this responsibility??
Always shake my head at that.

erasure fan1

Great point, absolutely agree. I often wonder why no one in mouse headquarters thought to do that. Sometimes I feel as if the parks are sort of " the land that time forgot". It's like they built them and then packed up and left.
As much as I disliked The great movie ride, I do feel bad because even I could think of 14 ways the ride could have been upgraded and made relevant/interesting.
How does a company almost forget they have this responsibility??
Always shake my head at that.
Exactly, Disney has the tendency to do nothing, do nothing, do nothing, then oh my god this ride is falling apart and no one likes it!!! We have to get rid of it! A little love every 4 or 5 years at least, would go a long way to keep things fresh. You'd think a company as large as Disney would factor that into the budgets. But I'm betting they do, but it's better for the short term bottom line to just skip the non safety type updates unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom