guest services

Goofyernmost

agreed...not only that - the acronyms get way too out of control.

I saw HEA Roving around before it ever had the fuse lit.

Some posts have 5-10 acronyms. It's like it's "trendy" or something at times...but it's really not.
I don't mind him asking, but read his tone. "At least have the decency..."

He's also been a member since 2008 and has two posts in that time. I sense a troll.
At least have the decency is absolutely the wrong phrase, but, as adults perhaps we should be able to see it in the context and realize that it meant have the courtesy. The time here indicates that perhaps they are trying to hint that the use of acronyms are only good for people that are already aware of the places that they are identifying. Not everyone is completely familiar with all of WDW. I've been going there for 35 years and many of them cause me to have to figure it out by research. Basically because so many people are "coining" the acronyms as the go along. Wouldn't it be the better part of communication to just use the name and save others from not knowing what one is talking about? But, I suppose without them we wouldn't have the highly clever creations of M.I.L.F. or A.S.S.

Castle Cake Apologist

Any chance of somebody explaining what all the letters mean

AP's ?, GS?, MK?, SSR?. At least have the decency to use the full term in a post before trottiing out all the Two or Three Letter Acronyms (TLA's) see how easy that was. Not everybody was born in Walt Disney World (WDW)

These are pretty common WDW acronyms that are used very frequently on this website, of which you've been a member for nearly ten years. Even Disney refers to Annual Passes as "APs." Your post comes off as needlessly confrontational and sarcastic, as simply asking would have sufficed. Nobody else had trouble understanding him, as, again, these are all common acronyms.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

agreed...not only that - the acronyms get way too out of control.

I saw HEA Roving around before it ever had the fuse lit.

Some posts have 5-10 acronyms. It's like it's "trendy" or something at times...but it's really not.

...or this is an internet discussion board, on which acronyms are always common. It's not really that unusual to refer to a long name by an acronym instead of typing it out.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These are pretty common WDW acronyms that are used very frequently on this website, of which you've been a member for nearly ten years. Even Disney refers to Annual Passes as "APs." Your post comes off as needlessly confrontational and sarcastic, as simply asking would have sufficed. Nobody else had trouble understanding him, as, again, these are all common acronyms.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

...or this is an internet discussion board, on which acronyms are always common. It's not really that unusual to refer to a long name by an acronym instead of typing it out.
...and yet...it's still not some kind of ultra cool lingo...

More like internet laziness. I don't mind acronyms...but there are other ways..

Like use "tower" instead of TOT. Or call them "space, splash, and big thunder"...not SM, SM, and BTMM.

Sometimes acronyms lead to confusion.

Like "SW:GE"...my real pet peeve for other reasons...that sounds like a lightbulb

Castle Cake Apologist

...and yet...it's still not some kind of ultra cool lingo...

More like internet laziness. I don't mind acronyms...but there are other ways..

Like use "tower" instead of TOT. Or call them "space, splash, and big thunder"...not SM, SM, and BTMM.

Sometimes acronyms lead to confusion.

Like "SW:GE"...my real pet peeve for other reasons...that sounds like a lightbulb

What is your deal? Nobody is trying to be "hip" or create a "cool lingo." It's literally the first letters of attractions and areas with long names. Ya know, like an acronym. Sorry to break it to you, but acronyms aren't leaving the internet any time soon. As I said before, even Disney uses acronyms, including the ones in this thread.

Generally the context of the thread should tell you what the acronym means. To a specific point that you made, most people do refer to them as 'Splash' and 'Space,' because there are two attractions with the same acronym. Although, if the thread is specifically about one of those attractions, people may opt to use SM instead. Again, context generally tells you what you need to know.

Just out of curiosity, do you refer to the anti-lock braking system in your car as such, or do you call it ABS? Do you refer to filing your taxes with the Internal Revenue Service, or do you call them the IRS?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What is your deal? Nobody is trying to be "hip" or create a "cool lingo." It's literally the first letters of attractions and areas with long names. Ya know, like an acronym. Sorry to break it to you, but acronyms aren't leaving the internet any time soon. As I said before, even Disney uses acronyms, including the ones in this thread.

Generally the context of the thread should tell you what the acronym means. To a specific point that you made, most people do refer to them as 'Splash' and 'Space,' because there are two attractions with the same acronym. Although, if the thread is specifically about one of those attractions, people may opt to use SM instead. Again, context generally tells you what you need to know.

Just out of curiosity, do you refer to the anti-lock braking system in your car as such, or do you call it ABS? Do you refer to filing your taxes with the Internal Revenue Service, or do you call them the IRS?

You didn't read properly (not surprised)...I'm not an anti acronym person...I just think they do get out of hand from time to time on disney forums...and for keyboard rambos to become combative and "defend the acronym" is pointless...as was correctly called out (not by me) earlier.

It's not offensive to me...because it's acronyms...nor should an opinion on acronyms be offensive to you...

That's "my deal"

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You can also activate your AP at any park ticket window. I did mine at AK last year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can also activate your AP at any park ticket window. I did mine at AK last year.

Right...those are actually the same as "guest services" as far as access/business center. That's why you have to be specifically at a ticket center...resorts don't have the same capabilities...there would be too many people, not very trained, with access to too much money...things happen.

NeedMoreMickey

Sure I’m not the only one who has flipped on the news when they are talking DHS dept of homeland security and thought Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The acronyms aren’t consistent like SSR uses the resort but not for BW or YC or BC. Easy to see how someone new can get confused

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure I’m not the only one who has flipped on the news when they are talking DHS dept of homeland security and thought Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The acronyms aren’t consistent like SSR uses the resort but not for BW or YC or BC. Easy to see how someone new can get confused

There are many, many, many, more that thicken the alphabet soup. I like "CR", myself...or the aforementioned "FW"...

Or how about "TL" in 3 months? It was at least 2 things...now it's gonna be 3...maybe...or perhaps it will be TSL, TL, and T? Who knows?

I've gone cross Eyed.

https://images.google.com/imgres?im...1M:&vet=1&w=480&h=360&hl=en-us&source=sh/x/im

GVentola

I have bookmarked an acronym guide to this site, but a lot of times when I go to refer to it, I don't find the acronym I'm trying to decipher in it. Plus it's a pain to have to go look it up. Takes the momentum out of reading posts. I'm still not sure what it means when someone refers to their spouse as DH or DW. Dear Husband, Disney Husband? A good idea would be to type out the full name the first time you use it in a post, then abbreviate it every time after.

wombat

Barack-Obama-Confused-Look.gif

You're joking right? Everyone here knew what he was talking about and he's obviously soliciting recommendations from experts. The experts, in particular, know what he's talking about.

I am not joking. We are not all experts.

Yelloweaver

We need to activate our APs, and have heard that GS at MK is a long wait. We will stay at SSR. What is the best GS to use?

We were just in Disney and had to activate our APs. We arrived at the MK around 8 am, they were just opening for EMH and we were the first person in line to be called once an available CM opened up. No wait at all. I think its hit or miss though as I have seen long lines, thankfully not when I needed GS.

cdeev8690

I'm activating my pass during my next visit as well. My flight gets in after 11 PM and I'm hitting DHS the following morning. I plan on doing my usual rope drop scenario, getting there an hour before park opening. Do we know if park GS opens that early do they usually run on the same schedule as the park they are situated outside of?

I will apologize ahead of time for my use of acronyms. I'll admit that I'm too lazy to spell the words out fully and IDC.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have bookmarked an acronym guide to this site, but a lot of times when I go to refer to it, I don't find the acronym I'm trying to decipher in it. Plus it's a pain to have to go look it up. Takes the momentum out of reading posts. I'm still not sure what it means when someone refers to their spouse as DH or DW. Dear Husband, Disney Husband? A good idea would be to type out the full name the first time you use it in a post, then abbreviate it every time after.

Dear Husband/Dear Wife,

It seems that you are unwilling to learn the lingua franca of this particular board and so everyone here must adapt to your preferences.

danyoung56

Not everyone is completely familiar with all of WDW. I've been going there for 35 years and many of them cause me to have to figure it out by research. Basically because so many people are "coining" the acronyms as the go along.

That's very true. It's pretty easy to figure out what the HM is. It's quite a bit harder to decipher SDMT the first time you see it (Seven Dwarfs Mine Train). And then some folks just make up stuff and assume that everyone else will know what they're talking about. And even if you are a quote unquote EXPERT (like me?), sometimes acronym overload makes a post tough to read.

Amos1784

I second the Disney Springs and International Gateway!

I would just avoid Magic Kingdom and for right now Animal Kingdom.

wombat

I don't mind him asking, but read his tone. "At least have the decency..."

He's also been a member since 2008 and has two posts in that time. I sense a troll.
Yes be decent. Don't assume just because you know what they mean, other people do as well. Easy to be smug Mr Expert

CaptainAmerica

Yes be decent. Don't assume just because you know what they mean, other people do as well. Easy to be smug Mr Expert
The question wasn't intended for you. The OP asked a question of the experts and the experts knew what he or she meant.

If someone asks a question about DVC membership using acronyms I don't understand, I'm not going to cry about it. I'm not a DVC member so I'm not expected to understand, nor would I be much use trying to answer the question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom