Rumor Guest Boat Rentals Not Returning

Mindy55

YeeHa Bob was let go when the resorts closed. Just like the cast of Hoop De Doo, for example.

Since Port Orleans hasn’t re-opened yet it’s too early to say that he won’t be offered another contract IMO. I hope they do try and entice him back. Same for the duelling pianists at Jelly Rolls.
Ahhh... ok, so maybe they’ll both return, I love Both!

Mindy55

On the other hand, all the kids clubs were closed. Poly, Beach Club, I think there was another one. The Contemporary introduced one and cut the arcade, but then reversed that.
I’m hoping customer demand will bring back amenities that are fun, nostalgic in nature and bring back that Disney Magic we all know and love

HarperRose

YeeHa Bob was let go when the resorts closed. Just like the cast of Hoop De Doo, for example.

Since Port Orleans hasn’t re-opened yet it’s too early to say that he won’t be offered another contract IMO. I hope they do try and entice him back. Same for the duelling pianists at Jelly Rolls.
Bob announced it on his Facebook page September 30th of last year.

nickys

Premium Member
Bob announced it on his Facebook page September 30th of last year.
His contract was terminated for sure. So were all other entertainment people like the Hoop De Doo cast, Sergio, etc They were laid off, not furloughed.

What I’m saying is he could be offered a new contract. As have some of the others laid off at the same time. Whether he would take it or not is another matter.

Cutting against the overall trend, Coronado Springs recently started offering fishing equipment and bike rentals again after years of neither. It's one of the rare instances of a resort actually adding something back.

(Unfortunately, the Coronado Springs sprite boats are permanently gone.)

UNCgolf

I'd be pretty surprised if Jelly Rolls didn't reopen and bring back most of the prior pianists. It seems like it does quite well.

Last edited:

tpoly88

Disney is doing as well as ever so I doubt they care, but they really have moved away from having lots of experiences that made me say "that was something I could only do at Disney" and just focusing on theme parks and dining.

Not that one can't rent a boat anywhere else, but it's convenient to do when you're there on vacation. It can be a small memory that adds to the desire to return.

See also things like the Adventurer's Club that offered unique experiences outside of the theme parks. I don't feel like I do much in the evenings anymore, other than going to Disney Springs with everyone else just because it's there.
i think a lot of it has to do with Liability. in todays "ill sue you for everything world" you cant have some of these experiences anymore. cant tell you how many times on the water mice around the poly that someone almost collided with the ferry. i agree that some of the things of the past were fun and gave me great memories (discovery island, river country and being allowed in the lake at the Poly) but you can understand why they remove these items. if you look at the amount of people that would rent the boats for example vs the amount of people that go to the park, shop and eat the difference is huge. from a corporate side id look at the cost of having such an attraction that makes so little and could cost so much from a law suit and insurance.

Mindy55

i think a lot of it has to do with Liability. in todays "ill sue you for everything world" you cant have some of these experiences anymore. cant tell you how many times on the water mice around the poly that someone almost collided with the ferry. i agree that some of the things of the past were fun and gave me great memories (discovery island, river country and being allowed in the lake at the Poly) but you can understand why they remove these items. if you look at the amount of people that would rent the boats for example vs the amount of people that go to the park, shop and eat the difference is huge. from a corporate side id look at the cost of having such an attraction that makes so little and could cost so much from a law suit and insurance.
I hear you, i witnessed the same but who really knows if that’s it .. and it’s important for us all to remember that The boats are listed as temporarily unavailable... I’m holding out hope!!

Deadphish

The water sprites ( or whatever the latest name for them was) used to be an integral part of the vacation resort. We would take a whole day and just do that, the pool, and other resort hopping and shopping things like trying restaurants we otherwise might not have.
I still maintain that cost cutting of alligator removal was a key part of the kid being attacked years ago.
I half expect the ferries from Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary to go next. Can you even get a ferry to the MK from Ft. Wilderness any more?
If all they do is use the large ferries from the TTC, there is no need to do any kind of maintenance to the lakes.
Another reason to not stay at a monorail resort. I'm sure they will lower the prices for the amenity that has been removed.

No alligator mitigation means gators will get bigger. "You're going to need a bigger boat."

A major part of the reason to go in the first place was the whole resort experience. The whole idea of eliminating any kind of non-essential cost center and turning it into a profit center or kill it decreases the value of the resort.

Are resort pools next for an up charge?
Thank you for your comment about the animal control, I’ve been saying for years the reason they stopped allowing swimming in the lakes was to cut cost. No longer had to maintain the wading areas at the resort beaches or pay to have the wildlife removed. Most people here respond with there was never swimming allowed in the lakes. They don’t realize all those beaches had lifeguards and swimming areas.

Mindy55

Thank you for your comment about the animal control, I’ve been saying for years the reason they stopped allowing swimming in the lakes was to cut cost. No longer had to maintain the wading areas at the resort beaches or pay to have the wildlife removed. Most people here respond with there was never swimming allowed in the lakes. They don’t realize all those beaches had lifeguards and swimming areas.
Yes! That’s exactly right! And the nets would be up to safeguard the swimming areas ... it’s just good old fashioned swimming hole fun. It’s a real shame the resorts are no longer viewed through the guest experience lens, rather it seems it’s looked at through easy money grabs and tightening costs

peter11435

The water sprites ( or whatever the latest name for them was) used to be an integral part of the vacation resort. We would take a whole day and just do that, the pool, and other resort hopping and shopping things like trying restaurants we otherwise might not have.
I still maintain that cost cutting of alligator removal was a key part of the kid being attacked years ago.
I half expect the ferries from Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary to go next. Can you even get a ferry to the MK from Ft. Wilderness any more?
If all they do is use the large ferries from the TTC, there is no need to do any kind of maintenance to the lakes.
Another reason to not stay at a monorail resort. I'm sure they will lower the prices for the amenity that has been removed.

No alligator mitigation means gators will get bigger. "You're going to need a bigger boat."

A major part of the reason to go in the first place was the whole resort experience. The whole idea of eliminating any kind of non-essential cost center and turning it into a profit center or kill it decreases the value of the resort.

Are resort pools next for an up charge?
There are state regulations regarding the removal and moving of alligators. They still remove alligators when necessary and regulations permit. They never stopped.

Watercraft transportation between Fort Wilderness and Magic Kingdom still exists.

Swimming in resort lakes was stopped due to wildlife and health hazards.

MmeLeota

did anyone mention Discovery Island...free no ticket required.
1620512156996.png

Mindy55

Like so many of the posts I’ve read, my family has had some awesome memories of bay lake adventures on the little boats!! I hope the bike and boat rentals return and thrive ... it’s one of the very last resort activities that exist.
did anyone mention Discovery Island...free no ticket required.
View attachment 555773
Yes but not the way you did it and it’s worth mentioning more than once!

M:SpilotISTC12

Getting rid of the boats makes perfect sense. You aren't buying park tickets if you're on a mouse boat! I'm shocked they haven't scrapped more out of park activities that way you're so bored you have nothing else to do but go to the parks. Parks is where they make their money so reduce the competition even it is your own.

Robbydj13

Getting rid of the boats makes perfect sense. You aren't buying park tickets if you're on a mouse boat! I'm shocked they haven't scrapped more out of park activities that way you're so bored you have nothing else to do but go to the parks. Parks is where they make their money so reduce the competition even it is your own.
Fair point lol, but Ill be honest, I have never rented a boat and never wanted to, but we typically go for 12-14 days when we go, and theres a lot of time spent outside of the parks. I get most people aren't doing that, but the less options outside of the parks, the shorter my stays will get

M:SpilotISTC12

Fair point lol, but Ill be honest, I have never rented a boat and never wanted to, but we typically go for 12-14 days when we go, and theres a lot of time spent outside of the parks. I get most people aren't doing that, but the less options outside of the parks, the shorter my stays will get
Renting the boats was one of the activities you did maybe once every 10 years. So if they just have the parks, your trips will get shorter that is what they want. They want you either in the parks or out the door so someone else is going to go to the parks is in your room. The fact they haven't sold off the golf courses, closed the mini golf courses and spas is actually astounding.

Mindy55

Renting the boats was one of the activities you did maybe once every 10 years. So if they just have the parks, your trips will get shorter that is what they want. They want you either in the parks or out the door so someone else is going to go to the parks is in your room. The fact they haven't sold off the golf courses, closed the mini golf courses and spas is actually astounding.
Well the mini golf courses are set to be demolished, I believe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom