Pre-Trip Guess who's going back?

Elphaba me.jpg

fizzieee

(PS does the DFB team all go get salon manis the day before a festival opens?? You can tell there are multiple people taking these photos and all of their nails look flawless :hilarious: )

I'm sure the DFB team does go get manicures pretty regularly, especially around the opening of a festival, since they know their nails will be in a good majority of the photos...... but you're absolutely right, everyone's nails look *chef's kiss* in all of these Food and Wine photos!

bee

Original Poster
These all look really good, but I stopped and drooled over the fried falafel pita. That looks like food heaven.

My vote is for the Mushroom Tart! :hungry:

jA2kQwE.gif

I'm sure the DFB team does go get manicures pretty regularly, especially around the opening of a festival, since they know their nails will be in a good majority of the photos...... but you're absolutely right, everyone's nails look *chef's kiss* in all of these Food and Wine photos!
I only recently got really into painting my nails. As in, during the early pandemic when I suddenly had a lot of free time and needed something fun to help me deal with everything, I got really into painting my nails. I never used to notice nails so much, but now I sure do!

dizfan917

Are you going to California Grill The Wave for brunch breakfast on your upcoming trip? They have refillable mimosas!
I tried to work it into our schedule, but getting there from Old Key West before a park opening (besides EPCOT) is tricky! I'd be fine spending $100 less than brunch for some scrambled eggs and bacon just to experience the view! 🏰 and mimosas!! I wonder if there is cheese?! 🧀

I may keep working on it... I already have ten ADRs scheduled for our nine day visit + F & W plans +2 lounge visits (Tamboo & Nomad) that we can't book ahead of time penciled in...

we shall see... 24 days for you guys!! ❤️ HOOOORAY!!! 🎆⛱️🏝️

bee

Original Poster
I tried to work it into our schedule, but getting there from Old Key West before a park opening (besides EPCOT) is tricky! I'd be fine spending $100 less than brunch for some scrambled eggs and bacon just to experience the view! 🏰 and mimosas!! I wonder if there is cheese?! 🧀

I may keep working on it... I already have ten ADRs scheduled for our nine day visit + F & W plans +2 lounge visits (Tamboo & Nomad) that we can't book ahead of time penciled in...

we shall see... 24 days for you guys!! ❤️ HOOOORAY!!! 🎆⛱️🏝️
We also have a LOT of ADRs. So many I'm afraid to count them all! :hilarious: I'm sure many of our plans will change. :)

bee

Original Poster
Who's ready for some DRAMMA???

In April I booked a cabana at the Swolphin pool for 8/21. At the time of booking, Resort Pass was renting out both cabanas and reserved chairs to anyone who wanted to visit for the day. I could have either booked under my resort confirmation number and paid later via hotel bill, OR booked as an outsider and paid upfront. Though I could have cancelled without penalty either way (provided I cancelled far enough in advance of course), I decided to book as a resort guest so I didn't have to pay upfront, and so I would get Marriott points since it would be on my bill.

MIL, FIL, and my brother Jay have all confirmed they will join us for the cabana day. Jay hasn't decided for sure where he's staying but M's parents will almost certainly stay offsite. On Sunday we called the Swolphin to ask about parking for our day guests, and the CM we spoke with said that guests NOT staying at one of the hotels could only use the cabana IF they purchased a day pass for $25. :facepalm: We contacted Resort Pass and they are not selling day passes for that day anymore. :facepalm: Not to mention we are already paying $xxx for the cabana and now we have to also pay $75 extra for our three guests??? :facepalm:

So we called back after contacting Resort Pass and told the CM they weren't selling them, and pointed out that in April we could have just paid upfront and booked it as outside guests. We could have stayed anywhere and all the people in the cabana would be off-site guests. The CM insisted that non-resort guests could never book cabanas, even though I could have done it through Resort Pass in April. It was like we were being punished for being resort guests and trying to play by the rules. :facepalm: She did offer to have her manager call us and "explain it more clearly." :facepalm:

Now we are not the type to try to "ask for the manager" for no reason, and we never want to make anyone's job more difficult. We have both worked in customer service, including answering phones, and we have had our share of callers who truly would not listen to reason. But we knew we were in the right, so we did ask her to have the manager call us.

The whole situation has just been very stressful and for the past few days I have not been nearly as excited for our trip. We just wanted to have a nice day hanging out with family and we're not trying to be sneaky or break any rules. I know this is very "first world problems" and we are lucky to have enough money to go on vacation, let alone spring for an extra activity. But the whole situation just made me feel really bad!

Tammy the manager called Monday but I missed the call and she left a voicemail. We have been playing phone tag ever since. Today we FINALLY connected, and she said all of our guests were welcome even though they weren't staying there. :facepalm: The only condition was that they had to pay full price for parking, and she also let us know about the return of the indoor mask deal. So it's all good and fine in the end and we are quite relieved not to have to cancel our cabana!

Last edited:

RememberWhen

Who's ready for some DRAMMA???

I booked a cabana at the Swolphin pool for 8/21. At the time of booking, Resort Pass was renting out both cabanas and reserved chairs to anyone who wanted to visit for the day. I could have either booked under my resort confirmation number and paid later via hotel bill, OR booked as an outsider and paid upfront. Though I could have cancelled without penalty either way (provided I cancelled far enough in advance of course), I decided to book as a resort guest so I didn't have to pay upfront, and so I would get Marriott points since it would be on my bill.

MIL, FIL, and my brother Jay have all confirmed they will join us for the cabana day. Jay hasn't decided for sure where he's staying but M's parents will almost certainly stay offsite. On Sunday we called the Swolphin to ask about parking for our day guests, and the CM we spoke with said that guests NOT staying at one of the hotels could only use the cabana IF they purchased a day pass for $25. :facepalm: We contacted Resort Pass and they are not selling day passes for that day anymore. :facepalm: Not to mention we are already paying $xxx for the cabana and now we have to also pay $75 extra for our three guests??? :facepalm:

So we called back after contacting Resort Pass and told the CM they weren't selling them, and pointed out that in April we could have just paid upfront and booked it as outside guests. We could have stayed anywhere and all the people in the cabana would be off-site guests. The CM insisted that non-resort guests could never book cabanas, even though I could have done it through Resort Pass in April. It was like we were being punished for being resort guests and trying to play by the rules. :facepalm: She did offer to have her manager call us and "explain it more clearly." :facepalm:

Now we are not the type to try to "ask for the manager" for no reason, and we never want to make anyone's job more difficult. We have both worked in customer service, including answering phones, and we have had our share of callers who truly would not listen to reason. But we knew we were in the right, so we did ask her to have the manager call us.

The whole situation has just been very stressful and for the past few days I have not been nearly as excited for our trip. We just wanted to have a nice day hanging out with family and we're not trying to be sneaky or break any rules. I know this is very "first world problems" and we are lucky to have enough money to go on vacation, let alone spring for an extra activity. But the whole situation just made me feel really bad!

Tammy the manager called Monday but I missed the call and she left a voicemail. We have been playing phone tag ever since. Today we FINALLY connected, and she said all of our guests were welcome even though they weren't staying there. :facepalm: The only condition was that they had to pay full price for parking, and she also let us know about the return of the indoor mask deal. So it's all good and fine in the end and we are quite relieved not to have to cancel our cabana!
What a hassle...
We’re also not the type to demand to speak with the manager, but there are times when you really need to have things cleared up. Glad it worked out and you can all enjoy the fun!

bee

Original Poster
TWO WEEKS UNTIL DISNEY!!!

We have a confirmed cast! Obviously M and me (Contemporary and Swan), MIL and FIL (offsite), and my brother Jay (hasn't decided between Coronado and offsite-he has three different reservations and has to choose soon haha).

M's brother and his girlfriend fiancée (!!!) have decided not to join us this time. They are both teachers, so they would either have to take time off to come down on Friday (not a great idea so early in the school year), or do a lot of driving on Saturday and Sunday for just one day of vacation. Plus, M's extended family is having a large family event on 8/28 (which is where we are going post-Disney also) and they would be traveling for two weekends in a row. But at least we'll get to see them then.

bee

Original Poster
Dining updates!

I cancelled GF Café. The menu is not that appealing and we may not want to resort hop that day anyway. If we do, we may try for Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace which has a veggie rainbow roll and some tofu lettuce cups.

Contempo Café has some good veggie options and at some point we MUST have this:

contempo-cafe-monorail-cupcake-april-2018-2-450x600.jpg

We scored a post-closing reservation for Oga's on our DHS day. We are really not feeling excited about any of the TS options in the park so I will likely cancel those and go for quick service. MIL and FIL will be joining the park party that day but leaving in the afternoon so sadly they won't get to experience Oga's.

RememberWhen

Dining updates!

I cancelled GF Café. The menu is not that appealing and we may not want to resort hop that day anyway. If we do, we may try for Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace which has a veggie rainbow roll and some tofu lettuce cups.

Contempo Café has some good veggie options and at some point we MUST have this:

contempo-cafe-monorail-cupcake-april-2018-2-450x600.jpg

We scored a post-closing reservation for Oga's on our DHS day. We are really not feeling excited about any of the TS options in the park so I will likely cancel those and go for quick service. MIL and FIL will be joining the park party that day but leaving in the afternoon so sadly they won't get to experience Oga's.
Post closing Oga’s sounds great! Maybe I’ll try for that with my sisters for our trip in October... Thanks for the idea!

bee

Original Poster
I almost had a crisis today! This may be a long, confusing story.

This morning I bought some Disney gift cards from Target (RedCard 5% discount!) totaling an amount large enough to cover the remainder of our resort balance for the Contemporary.

This afternoon I called and paid in full.

After I paid in full, I decided to check Priceline JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY because sometimes they have discounts on Disney resorts beyond what Disney offers directly.

And there was a room on Priceline that would have saved about $200 over what we had through Disney. WHY DID I CHECK AFTER I ALREADY PAID???? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I started doing math to see if we could reasonably spend the amount of the gift cards on just food, drink, souvenirs, etc. and the conclusion was that we *might* POSSIBLY could, but we didn't want to put ourselves in the position of overspending just to use up the gift cards.

I felt SLIGHTLY better when I realized that our direct-from-Disney reservation was for a better room type (Garden wing, garden view) than the room type Priceline had (Garden wing, standard view). Which I found veeeeery interesting since I knew I had checked both Disney and Priceline for standard view months ago and it was NOT available on either. When I booked the Contemporary through Disney the cheapest room type was garden view.

So I checked Disney...and they had standard view rooms available even though they hadn't had them before! And I jumped on our reservation and CHANGED THAT ROOM TYPE AS FAST AS I COULD. Considering the savings of paying the balance in gift cards that were 5% off (as opposed to a credit card at 0% off), the new reservation works out to be about the same as the Priceline reservation would have been. And I don't have to wait for Priceline to give me the Disney confirmation number because I have the same Disney confirmation number I've always had!

Moral of the story: If you're going to check Priceline for a better price, do it BEFORE you buy a bunch of gift cards and pay off your resort balance. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

PS I wonder if the appearance of more inventory means a lot of people have cancelled?

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Everyone has their lodging figured out, hooray!

Obviously M and I will be at the Contemporary/Swan.

M's parents will be offsite in Kissimmee.

My brother is staying offsite in the LBV area BUT the vacation creep has set in and he's now going to drive down after work on Friday 8/19 (instead of leaving home early Saturday 8/20). He's also agreed to drive M and me from the Contemporary to the Swan on our resort switching day, which will save us a Lyft ride AND give him the chance to see the room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom