Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd argue it is temporary, actually, just not in the sense Tower of Terror will be returning. The fact they're already changing it a few months out shows just how easily it can be replaced.

It's not being replaced. The video and lighting elements will reflect a different storyline using the same characters in the same setting.

GOTG is not temporary, unless you view all attractions at Disney theme parks as temporary because they could be altered or replaced in the future.

No Name

I don't love seasonal decorations and overlays at Disney parks. Why? Because the holidays are all around me at home. So when I go to a theme park, I'd like to be able to get away from that, and if I don't go often, I'd like to be able to see the real thing. But I know many locals love it.

I mention that because this Mission Breakout one sounds like a good compromise. If I want to ride the real ride, I can do so during the day, and if I want to ride the holiday overlay, I can do so at night. Two options for two kinds of people.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I'd argue it is temporary, actually, just not in the sense Tower of Terror will be returning. The fact they're already changing it a few months out shows just how easily it can be replaced.

The beauty of cheap and efficient screen based attractions. Turn off a few lights, load up some new video clips and you have an all new experience.

BrianLo

Believe it or not, we may not have to if some people have their way once Star Wars opens.

Can you clarify at all? They want to do less seasonal stuff in DL if SW:GE proves popular enough to just keep the resort humming along?

They really should just create a small nightmare before christmas land in DCA and milk it for every conceivable holiday.

GiveMeTheMusic

Can you clarify at all? They want to do less seasonal stuff in DL if SW:GE proves popular enough to just keep the resort humming along?

They really should just create a small nightmare before christmas land in DCA and milk it for every conceivable holiday.

Right now there is a movement to confine seasonal everything to DCA so that DCA's deck can be stacked as cheaply as possible to pull any guests it can from DL. We're seeing it start this year with Halloween starting to be a big deal at DCA, and the parties will move back to DCA in 2018.

Whether those who want HMH to be "temporarily" retired until they can see what they're dealing with at DL when SWGE opens will be successful is yet to be seen, but it's a real possibility. I have a hard time envisioning HMH and IASWH both going away for any period of time, but it's on the table.

Kiwiduck

Right now there is a movement to confine seasonal everything to DCA so that DCA's deck can be stacked as cheaply as possible to pull any guests it can from DL. We're seeing it start this year with Halloween starting to be a big deal at DCA, and the parties will move back to DCA in 2018.

Whether those who want HMH to be "temporarily" retired until they can see what they're dealing with at DL when SWGE opens will be successful is yet to be seen, but it's a real possibility. I have a hard time envisioning HMH and IASWH both going away for any period of time, but it's on the table.
I'm not ashamed to say that I think the IASW holiday lights are one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I might have to join the anti Star Wars Land faction if it makes them go away!

TROR

I don't think Christmas time will ever actually leave Disneyland. It may be lessen than what it is now such as removing HMH and less decorations on the castle, but unlike Halloween Time which began in the early 2000's, Disneyland has always had some sort of decorations for Christmas as far back as 1955. To get rid of any Christmas offerings at Disneyland would be insanity.

Californian Elitist

It's an overlay on top of an existing attraction though. They basically painted over and redecorated what was already there and what little new stuff that was installed is mostly props, screens and projections. All could be just as easily swapped out and replaced with the next IP Disney wants to push.

This is exactly how I see it. It's an overlay because it's a re-skin of something that was already there. It's a permanent overlay. And now we have yet another overlay on the overlay.

Give me a break.

mikenatcity1

This will give DCA two major Halloween overlays - Radiator Springs Racers and GOTG. Come next year, not even the Mickey pumpkin may be safe at DL. Halloween has a new home at DLR.

Is there an overlay for RSR??? I didn't think there was (just something at Carsland in general). If so, i'm very intrigued! I am very excited about the new GOTG overlay. I haven't been on the ride yet, but i've heard it's good. I'm a huge fan of the original ToT in Florida (and the one in DCA was always a let down compared). Last year we were there the day the sign was removed off the tower so it will be interesting to see DLR without a ToT...

TP2000

Original Poster
I don't think Christmas time will ever actually leave Disneyland. It may be lessen than what it is now such as removing HMH and less decorations on the castle, but unlike Halloween Time which began in the early 2000's, Disneyland has always had some sort of decorations for Christmas as far back as 1955. To get rid of any Christmas offerings at Disneyland would be insanity.

Agreed.

And just think of the decorative possibilities they could do in December for Star Wars Land with Life Day decorations!

636138713803190127-835464541_maxresdefault%20(3).jpg

Phroobar

Agreed.

And just think of the decorative possibilities they could do in December for Star Wars Land with Life Day decorations!

636138713803190127-835464541_maxresdefault%20(3).jpg
Wookiees in red dresses, princesses singing off key, get a hug from Han Solo booth, learn to cook with Harvey Korman, Battle Escape ride completely spoken in wookiee. What that was that Diahann Carroll was doing to Chewbacca's dad.

Last edited:

Professortango1

People keep saying this, but GOTG is not an overlay. An overlay is inherently temporary - it overlays existing sets and elements. Haunted Mansion Holiday is an overlay. GOTG is a permanent attraction that could not be easily converted back to TOT.

GOTG: Monsters After Dark is an overlay. GOTG: Mission Breakout! is not. Just like Frozen Ever After, which is not an overlay either.

Sorry, semantics I know but it's driving me nuts

What about a permanent overlay? They simply just laid some new paint and pipes over the existing attraction. It is like Hyperspace Mountain, except its suspected to go for more than 3 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom