Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

The design of the attraction opens it up to more physical scenes (5th Dimension Room, bottom of drop shaft, unload area) whereas the DCA version doesn't have those open areas. Mission Breakout also fits the DHS park much better than DCA. DHS will soon have a land for Star Wars, a land for Toy Story, and a Land for Muppets. Having a Superhero themed land with Guardians fits a lot more in the park flow than having such an attraction in a park devoted to Nostalgic California.

This all makes sense on paper. The problem is that WDWs version is the original and widely viewed as the best version. Not to mention the best attraction at the park. I don't think they should have rethemed the Tower at either park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because that part of the hotel got zapped by lightning and destroyed.

Since we see the original frontage sign and there are windows right next to the elevator shaft, then if the elevators did open, they opened originally to... what? A balcony? That doesn't make sense. Any supposed wing that was torn off would have made those windows unusable and would have blocked the tower's signage.

Professortango1

Unless you take a look at the scene in the first movie where they escape (or break out) of the prison. Rocket commandeers a watchtower and sends it up and violently down. My assumption is in this ride, we are not in elevators, but are being loaded into the collection cases that are being moved into storage. Rocket takes over and again... chaos ensues.

What exactly was going on in Tower of Terror? Were ghosts controlling the elevator? What did lightning have to do with the twilight zone? Was there a reason those five were sent into the fifth dimension, or was it random happenstance (which is not a very Twilight Zone thing to do.) Why did they take us along? I get why the elevator dropped, but why did it go back up? Why did it continue to furiously shake us up and down (again, if this were true to the show there would be some clever message about society or humanity etc.) Why did it take our picture? Why does the elevator eventually stop? Most stories have a set-up, conflict and conclusion. This just ends. What did we learn about the fate of the five guests? About the fifth dimension? About ourselves? Why in an abandoned hotel is the gift shop still open and fully stocked?

By the way, I love- love Tower of Terror, but as with Epcot Center, these forums seem to force me to look at my beloved attractions with far more scrutiny and I'm afraid they keep falling short of what I remember them to be.

Were ghosts controlling the elevator? Yes.
What did lightning have to do with the Twilight Zone? Not much. The TV show angle was more of a framing device. The DCA version actually removed more of the The Twilight Zone and sold it moreso as a ghost story.
Was there a reason they were sent into the 5th Dimension? Wrong place wrong time. It happens in many episodes.
Why did they take us along? Misery loves company. Ghost stories are often about ghosts bringing mortals into their world.
Why did the elevator go back up? Because we are caught in the middle of a conflict. Ghosts making it drop, elevator shaft regaining control. Also, it gives us the terrifying feeling the Tower itself is toying with us like a cat with a bird.
Why did it continue to furiously shake us? See above, ghosts vs machinery
Why did it take our picture? Really??? Why do any of the Disney attractions take our picture? These pictures exist outside of the ride experience and the snapping of the picture isn't part of the narrative.
Set-up, Conflict, conclusion. Set-Up: We're in a haunted hotel elevator. Conflict: Ghosts are pulling us down while the elevator is taking us up. Conclusion: We fall to the bottom, but survive...this time. Rod Serling warns us to be more discerning next time.
The fate of the five guests? They are in the ghost world/Twilight Zone still. We barely escaped their fate and have learned not to meddle in such things.
Gift Shop? Another "really???"

As for Guardians; will we want the car to drop? Naturally, the human experience doesn't want to fall. Ending with such a fall works well for a ghost story as it ends with the fearful moment, but you're okay. You and the elevator are fighting against the fall, you fall to your assumed death, but you survive.

With Guardians, the good guys need to win, therefore the fall needs to be a good thing. We need to want to fall. This plays against simple human behaviors. It doesn't line up.

sedati

Sorry you feel that way (especially about Epcot Center).

I propose this question: If they were to build a GOTG ride from scratch, would it resemble ANYTHING close to TOT? My guess is no.

As for what the TOT was all about...I honestly think you're reading too much into it. Nothing in the Twilight Zone was ever really explained to satisfy someone looking for "closure". The ride (to me at least) was you setting foot into a haunted/bewitched hotel frozen in time (minus the gift shop of course). You learn about what happened when lightning struck the place back in the 30's (a freak accident??) and you're more or less exploring it yourself in the present. Then you enter the elevator and, uh-oh...ITS HAPPENING AGAIN! There's no rhyme or reason WHY these things occur...but regardless, its happening, and you either have fun on it or you don't.

I'm fine with Epcot Center, but I do take a much more adult view on what it actually was/accomplished than I did when I was young.

If Imagineering had this great new tech for a drop ride, then yes, I believe you could get something pretty close to what you are getting with GOTG. Just at Twilight Zone was built around this ride tech, so will this. The drop elevator concept could have been tied to a geyser or Captain Nemo's inventions just as well. No one remembered that famous old Twilight Zone episode in an elevator because there wasn't one- it is an example of stretching a theme to fit a ride, not vise versa. If a GOTG ride was to be built from scratch today I think they would look at what new tech they have in the works and fit the ride/story to that.

Many keep saying that a GOTG ride has to be about spaceships, but that's only a bit of what they're seen doing: archaeology, heist, escape, gambling, shootouts, space battles, and dance-offs are all elements seen in the first film and any of them could serve as a launching point for a theme park story. Personally I think echoing the prison heist is perfect because that happens to be THE SCENE WHERE THEY FIRST BECOME A TEAM.

But as for what Mission Breakout is all about... I honestly think you're fretting too much about it. Nothing about the look or design has to ever really be explained to satisfy someone looking for "closure." The ride (to me at least) is about you setting foot in an old hotel that has been taken over by an eccentric collector from elsewhere in the galaxy (sure he needs a gift shop- how else is he to pay for his collecting habit?) We'll learn about how he took revenge on the Guardians by capturing them and placing them into his industrialized museum/fortress. We too are placed in the collection and , uh-oh... ITS HAPPENING AGAIN! Rocket leads another exciting break-out. There IS a rhyme and reason why these things occur... and regardless, it's happening, and you are either going to have fun or it or you won't.

Professortango1

This all makes sense on paper. The problem is that WDWs version is the original and widely viewed as the best version. Not to mention the best attraction at the park. I don't think they should have rethemed the Tower at either park.

Its definitely problematic. Another selfish reason I'm more open to DHS' Tower receiving the re-theme is I think it is due for an update/upgrade regardless of Tower Ownership. I do understand the Tower is beloved, but I still prefer DCA's version of the actual ride experience and found the DHS version to be a bit corny and awkwardly paced. Plus the designer in me finds it odd to have 90% of DHS be lands themed to franchises and this weird right portion of the park be an extension of their Main Street area. These are unpopular notions, that's why I didn't even bother including them before.

But the updated Tower does have better possibilities with the DHS design and it does fit the DHS park much better than it fits DCA.

Earl Sweatpants

I'm fine with Epcot Center, but I do take a much more adult view on what it actually was/accomplished than I did when I was young.

If Imagineering had this great new tech for a drop ride, then yes, I believe you could get something pretty close to what you are getting with GOTG. Just at Twilight Zone was built around this ride tech, so will this. The drop elevator concept could have been tied to a geyser or Captain Nemo's inventions just as well. No one remembered that famous old Twilight Zone episode in an elevator because there wasn't one- it is an example of stretching a theme to fit a ride, not vise versa. If a GOTG ride was to be built from scratch today I think they would look at what new tech they have in the works and fit the ride/story to that.

Many keep saying that a GOTG ride has to be about spaceships, but that's only a bit of what they're seen doing: archaeology, heist, escape, gambling, shootouts, space battles, and dance-offs are all elements seen in the first film and any of them could serve as a launching point for a theme park story. Personally I think echoing the prison heist is perfect because that happens to be THE SCENE WHERE THEY FIRST BECOME A TEAM.

But as for what Mission Breakout is all about... I honestly think you're fretting too much about it. Nothing about the look or design has to ever really be explained to satisfy someone looking for "closure." The ride (to me at least) is about you setting foot in an old hotel that has been taken over by an eccentric collector from elsewhere in the galaxy (sure he needs a gift shop- how else is he to pay for his collecting habit?) We'll learn about how he took revenge on the Guardians by capturing them and placing them into his industrialized museum/fortress. We too are placed in the collection and , uh-oh... ITS HAPPENING AGAIN! Rocket leads another exciting break-out. There IS a rhyme and reason why these things occur... and regardless, it's happening, and you are either going to have fun or it or you won't.
LOL. Thanks for basically taking my breakdown of your comment and then replicating it Mad Libs style with your thoughts. Bonus points for that.

I'm really not "fretting" about this as it may seem. I'm 99.9% convinced I will ride this maybe once. But it just doesn't sit well with me in terms of the "way forward" with Disney and their parks strategy.

Disney Analyst

I mean, I am sure the story will make sense in the end. You are being loaded into The Collector's display case, and are being lifted to your soon to be forever display home... When Rocket manages to stop the gravity pull or whatever and you go on a wild ride while he tinkers with it, until he figures out who to get you safely to the ground... in which you then run a way as fast as you can so as to not be recollected, into a gift shop.

Earl Sweatpants

I mean, I am sure the story will make sense in the end. You are being loaded into The Collector's display case, and are being lifted to your soon to be forever display home... When Rocket manages to stop the gravity pull or whatever and you go on a wild ride while he tinkers with it, until he figures out who to get you safely to the ground... in which you then run a way as fast as you can so as to not be recollected, into a gift shop.
Oh, I have no concerns that the actual ride "story" will make sense. That was never an issue with me.

sedati

Were ghosts controlling the elevator? Yes.
What did lightning have to do with the Twilight Zone? Not much. The TV show angle was more of a framing device. The DCA version actually removed more of the The Twilight Zone and sold it moreso as a ghost story.
Was there a reason they were sent into the 5th Dimension? Wrong place wrong time. It happens in many episodes.
Why did they take us along? Misery loves company. Ghost stories are often about ghosts bringing mortals into their world.
Why did the elevator go back up? Because we are caught in the middle of a conflict. Ghosts making it drop, elevator shaft regaining control. Also, it gives us the terrifying feeling the Tower itself is toying with us like a cat with a bird.
Why did it continue to furiously shake us? See above, ghosts vs machinery
Why did it take our picture? Really??? Why do any of the Disney attractions take our picture? These pictures exist outside of the ride experience and the snapping of the picture isn't part of the narrative.
Set-up, Conflict, conclusion. Set-Up: We're in a haunted hotel elevator. Conflict: Ghosts are pulling us down while the elevator is taking us up. Conclusion: We fall to the bottom, but survive...this time. Rod Serling warns us to be more discerning next time.
The fate of the five guests? They are in the ghost world/Twilight Zone still. We barely escaped their fate and have learned not to meddle in such things.
Gift Shop? Another "really???"

As for Guardians; will we want the car to drop? Naturally, the human experience doesn't want to fall. Ending with such a fall works well for a ghost story as it ends with the fearful moment, but you're okay. You and the elevator are fighting against the fall, you fall to your assumed death, but you survive.

With Guardians, the good guys need to win, therefore the fall needs to be a good thing. We need to want to fall. This plays against simple human behaviors. It doesn't line up.

The show certainly had an aspect of "sucks to be you," but there was usually a deeper message behind it.
I never caught on to the the idea that the tower itself was sentient and was fighting on our behalf. I've also assumed it was not the ghosts or the hotel controlling the elevator, but that it was just the experience of being pulled between dimensions.
We fall to the bottom and survive? That's about as satisfying an ending as those to Dumbo or the Mad Teacups- hey guys, ride time has expired- time to get out.
I like everything you've read into the story, but I'd like to know how many got any such a plot from the ride.

Ride photo and gift shop- attempt at humor, sorry, wrong forum.

As far as the falling- by your own logic, we may not want to fall in Tower, but by your own story, would we want to get flung up as that plays a part in the resistance to the ghosts and leads us to being saved (also very unnatural and against the human experience.)
In Guardians, I think the idea is we want to escape, but the means is up to Rocket and not us. I'm sure the human condition it to find and door and walk peacefully out, but by Rocket's methods we are in a hold on for your lives situation.
Needing to want to fall- look at the movie the Prisoner with Harrison Ford. He needed to jump off a dam to escape- didn't mean he wanted to or that it was a part of natural human experience.
"It doesn't line up" doesn't serve as an argument so much as it seems to serve as the mantra for this whole thread.

Last edited:

sedati

LOL. Thanks for basically taking my breakdown of your comment and then replicating it Mad Libs style with your thoughts. Bonus points for that.

I'm really not "fretting" about this as it may seem. I'm 99.9% convinced I will ride this maybe once. But it just doesn't sit well with me in terms of the "way forward" with Disney and their parks strategy.

Thank you for finding humor where humor is intended. There's plenty that doesn't sit well with me either, but there's always been and always will be.

If you are willing to ride this "maybe" once, then I'll place you as one of the more reasonable on this forum.

I'm not trying to be combative, but I'm an odd one in that I find great entertainment in a good argument (at least with those who are willing to have one.) That, and I'm also, I'm currently trapped in snow which accounts for my high post rate today.

sedati

Its definitely problematic. Another selfish reason I'm more open to DHS' Tower receiving the re-theme is I think it is due for an update/upgrade regardless of Tower Ownership. I do understand the Tower is beloved, but I still prefer DCA's version of the actual ride experience and found the DHS version to be a bit corny and awkwardly paced. Plus the designer in me finds it odd to have 90% of DHS be lands themed to franchises and this weird right portion of the park be an extension of their Main Street area. These are unpopular notions, that's why I didn't even bother including them before.

But the updated Tower does have better possibilities with the DHS design and it does fit the DHS park much better than it fits DCA.
Florida Tower is my tower, and I was wholly against the idea of such a change.... then I saw Doctor Strange.

Professortango1

The show certainly had an aspect of "sucks to be you," but there was usually a deeper message behind it.
I never caught on to the the idea that the tower itself was sentient and was fighting on our behalf. I's also assumed it was not the ghosts or the hotel controlling the elevator, but that it was just the experience of being pulled between dimensions.
We fall to the bottom and survive? That's about as satisfying an ending as those to Dumbo or the Mad Teacups- hey guys, ride time has expired- time to get out.
I like everything you've read into the story, but I'd like to know how many got any such a plot from the ride.

Ride photo and gift shop- attempt at humor, sorry, wrong forum.

As far as the falling- by your own logic, we may not want to fall in Tower, but by your own story, would we want to get flung up as that plays a part in the resistance to the ghosts and leads us to being saved (also very unnatural and against the human experience.)
In Guardians, I think the idea is we want to escape, but the means is up to Rocket and not us. I'm sure the human condition it to find and door and walk peacefully out, but by Rocket's methods we are in a hold on for your lives situation.
Needing to want to fall- look at the movie the Prisoner with Harrison Ford. He needed to jump off a dam to escape- didn't mean he wanted to or that it was a part of natural human experience.
"It doesn't line up" doesn't serve as an argument so much as it seems to serve as the mantra for this whole thread.

Fall to the bottom and survive is satisfying. It's a ghost story. It ends with you experiencing a near-death experience but somehow miraculously surviving. It isn't that the ride has run out, it is that the ghosts failed in their task. Once again, this is better sold in the DCA version than in the DHS version.

As for getting so much plot from the ride. It is all there. We hear the elevator rev up and pull us up between the drops, we see the ghosts beckoning to us, we have the Serling narration. There's more obvious plot here than in Haunted Mansion.

Earl Sweatpants

Thank you for finding humor where humor is intended. There's plenty that doesn't sit well with me either, but there's always been and always will be.

If you are willing to ride this "maybe" once, then I'll place you as one of the more reasonable on this forum.

I'm not trying to be combative, but I'm an odd one in that I find great entertainment in a good argument (at least with those who are willing to have one.) That, and I'm also, I'm currently trapped in snow which accounts for my high post rate today.
All good my friend. A healthy robust dialogue is always welcome with me.

In all honesty, you've caused me to actually look deep into the experience of the TOT and think about the way I view it...which is not how I expected my Tuesday morning to go. :)

Earl Sweatpants

Fall to the bottom and survive is satisfying. It's a ghost story. It ends with you experiencing a near-death experience but somehow miraculously surviving. It isn't that the ride has run out, it is that the ghosts failed in their task. Once again, this is better sold in the DCA version than in the DHS version.

As for getting so much plot from the ride. It is all there. We hear the elevator rev up and pull us up between the drops, we see the ghosts beckoning to us, we have the Serling narration. There's more obvious plot here than in Haunted Mansion.
You really need to listen to the Haunted Mansion Radio Story starring a young Ron Howard. Gives the ride SO much more "sense" and logic. Especially when you start noticing the raven in each scene.

Phroobar

Florida Tower is my tower, and I was wholly against the idea of such a change.... then I saw Doctor Strange.
The Florida Tower based on Doctor Strange would be incredible. Imagine the possibilities and the effects! It would be something I could get behind. However, TDO would just cheap out and screw it up. I wonder if Doctor Strange would be allowed there.

TP2000

Wait a minute. Are we now all switching our opinion of how this looks? Are we at that point were we start to praise this effort? Isn't that what we do around here? We start off hating the idea and the concept model. We watch it being built while making jokes. When it finally gets displayed we love it but wonder what is like inside. We wait in huge lines and post glowing reviews because its Disney! "Of its so much better than before! They should do this to DHS's version!"

That's about how Internet message boards have worked since the alt.disney.disneyland usenet days in the 1990's. The makeover from Tower of Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be sticking closely to that time honored script.

The only exception to that basic rule was the building of Disney's California Adventure in 1998-2001. We hated the idea and concept model, made jokes while it was being built, and when we finally went in for our AP preview in January, 2001 it was even cheaper and duller than we were afraid it was going to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Florida Tower based on Doctor Strange would be incredible. Imagine the possibilities and the effects! It would be something I could get behind. However, TDO would just cheap out and screw it up. I wonder if Doctor Strange would be allowed there.

There was a Doctor Strange streetmosphere in DHS for a bit. So, yeah, he's allowed there.

And a DocStrange overlay would make lots of sense with ghosts and the astral plane. There would be relatively few changes to make. The outside of the building could remain exactly the same.

Phroobar

That's about how Internet message boards have worked since the alt.disney.disneyland usenet days in the 1990's. The makeover from Tower of Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be sticking closely to that time honored script.

The only exception to that basic rule was the building of Disney's California Adventure in 1998-2001. We hated the idea and concept model, made jokes while it was being built, and when we finally went in for our AP preview in January, 2001 it was even cheaper and duller than we were afraid it was going to be.
Don't forget about the ten years of coming up with a new name for the park. My favorite one was Don't Come Again.

sedati

Tower was a purpose built structure designed for a specific concept. GOTG:MB Is not. It was designed to meet synergy goals and sell more Marvel merch. Which is fine but create something new, don't cheap out and re skin a fan favorite.

Yes, and that concept was "Hotel Mel."
The Twilight Zone Theme did not dictate the shape or layout of either the building or ride mechanism. It was a tall structure. It could be just as well be a hotel, a museum, or a giant lowercase "t."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom