Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Vegas Disney Fan

Does anyone know the minimum dispatch time? I’m inclined to believe 2,400 was always just a technical possibility and nothing above 2,000 is really feasible.

Watching a couple videos it seems to be approximately 60 seconds between trains per side, so that’s roughly 20 riders per train, 60 trains an hour per side, 2 sides, theoretically 2400 is possible.

That’s assuming full trains, zero breakdowns, no delays, etc though. A couple empty seats per train and capacity drops to 2000 very easily even with 60 second dispatches.

disneygeek90

Watching a couple videos it seems to be approximately 60 seconds between trains per side, so that’s roughly 20 riders per train, 60 trains an hour per side, 2 sides, theoretically 2400 is possible.

That’s assuming full trains, zero breakdowns, no delays, etc though. A couple empty seats per train and capacity drops to 2000 very easily even with 60 second dispatches.
Filling the cars is incredibly efficient. They have a similar load style as SDD which puts odd groups down one lane and even on another.

DonaldDoleWhip

This thread is a constant reminder of how subjective music taste is 😂. I’m sitting here with “I ran” as easily my no1 track so far. (Haven’t done Sept or Everybody.) Maybe it’s just me but I think I Ran really gives it a cosmic chase vibe which I dig. But that’s the beauty of a ride like this or RNRC, everyone will have their favorites.
Spot on. I find it slightly hilarious that my easy #1 (Conga) is an easy last place for a blogger I immensely respect, Tom Bricker.

Most of our other opinions are aligned, so it's okay that he's wrong here. ;) (Kidding!)

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Screenshot_20220614-120457_Samsung Notes.jpg

Just for even more statistical fun, here is how my 24 rides have broken up in terms of songs. Below each are the % of the total rides I had with that song.

Club Cooloholic

I rode twice got Everybody Wants to Rule the world. Whole family absolutely loved it. That said, I think they were smart when they developed this ride. The Guardians of The Galaxy are not a timeless IP. Their comic was never that popular, and WDW made the movies as work arounds to not having other marvel properties at the time. The movies did great but as the cast disappears from them and the director moves on the franchise wane. The ride is great but it could EASILY be reworked into another IP or some more generic if 10 years from now GOTG are not a thing at all. There is no animatronic investment

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I rode twice got Everybody Wants to Rule the world. Whole family absolutely loved it. That said, I think they were smart when they developed this ride. The Guardians of The Galaxy are not a timeless IP. Their comic was never that popular, and WDW made the movies as work arounds to not having other marvel properties at the time. The movies did great but as the cast disappears from them and the director moves on the franchise wane. The ride is great but it could EASILY be reworked into another IP or some more generic if 10 years from now GOTG are not a thing at all. There is no animatronic investment
Disney is the epitome of IPs that don't fade (excepting those whose ethos doesn't fit the modern world).

In fact, by giving an IP a place in a park, it keeps the IP's popularity going way past its cinematic freshness date.

This is like saying people will eventually get tired of Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, so, luckily, we can update their castles with more modern princesses.

Club Cooloholic

Disney is the epitome of IPs that don't fade (excepting those whose ethos doesn't fit the modern world).

In fact, by giving an IP a place in a park, it keeps the IP's popularity going way past its cinematic freshness date.

This is like saying people will eventually get tired of Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, so, luckily, we can update their castles with more modern princesses.
Those are cartoon characters. It's more like they made a ride about M.A.S.H featuring Alan Alda, pretty cool in the 70s and 80s...not so cool by the 90s.
I can't be the only one who rode GOTG and thought the IP had very little to do with why I was enjoying the ride.

Vegas Disney Fan

Those are cartoon characters. It's more like they made a ride about M.A.S.H featuring Alan Alda, pretty cool in the 70s and 80s...not so cool by the 90s.
I can't be the only one who rode GOTG and thought the IP had very little to do with why I was enjoying the ride.

Splash Mtn and Tower of Terror are based on old irrelevant shows and they remain wildly popular, they are building a coaster themed to Tron right now, none of those movies/shows have been relevant for decades, and a lot of visitors have likely never even seen them, but the IP doesn’t really matter as long as the ride is good.

I suspect that long after the Guardians movies are just a memory the ride will likely live on.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So, live-action Indiana Jones will wane? And they'll reskin his DL ride because it has little to do with him?

What's that? It has a lot to do with him? Then why is DINOSAUR basically the same ride system?

The conclusion is any ride can be rethemed by yanking out the old IP and putting in a new one. And yes, this includes Cosmic Rewind.

But you base that retheme as a likelihood because you think interest in that IP will wane.

An IP that made $.8 Billion, then $1.4 Billion, and then was featured in a movie that made $2.7 Billion. And has a third movie coming out. And two D+ specials. Regardless of why Disney chose to go with GotG in the MCU, it is a cultural juggernaut. And is highly unlikely to wane in popularity... just like Indy.

Casper Gutman

This is a huge condemnation of the ride. As Penguin said, the MCU is on the "indelible pop culture icon" level of Indy or Star Wars. It is the safest of the safe properties on which to base a major ride. Even putting aside its long-term cultural resonance, Guardians is perhaps the least cast-dependent property in the MCU - Rocket and Groot can be recast (as they are in CR) and appear in film after film.

The franchise's longevity and cultural importance is exactly why Disney parks handling of the MCU has been so shameful, bad enough that it should attract the interest of even notoriously theme-park-averse shareholders. You are correct - CR (and, even more profoundly, Avengers Campus) feel like attractions based on flash-in-the-pan properties, rushed out to capitalize on momentary success but ready for cheap-and-easy retheming when the cultural moment passes. The Guardians do NOT feel fundamental to CR - the ride simply isn't ingrained with the IP's aesthetic and sensibilities. And remember how I said Rocket and Groot are the two MCU characters with the longest potential lifespan? That's exactly why not including them as AAs is such an incredibly stupid decision.

Pop culture has NEVER seen a franchise like the MCU - not even Star Wars. The Disney parks need to start acting like it.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

This is a huge condemnation of the ride. As Penguin said, the MCU is on the of "indelible pop culture icon" level of Indy or Star Wars. It is the safest of the safe properties on which to base a major ride. Even putting aside its long-term cultural resonance, Guardians is perhaps the least cast-dependent property in the MCU - Rocket and Groot can be recast (as they are in CR) and appear in film after film.

The franchise's longevity and cultural longevity is exactly why Disney parks handling of the MCU has been so shameful, bad enough that it should attract the interest of even notoriously theme-park-averse shareholders. You are correct - CR (and, even more profoundly, Avengers Campus) feel like attractions based on flash-in-the-pan properties, rushed out to capitalize on momentary success but ready for cheap-and-easy retheming when the cultural moment passes. The Guardians do NOT feel fundamental to CR - the ride simply isn't fundamentally ingrained with the IP's aesthetic and sensibilities. And remember how I said Rocket and Groot are the two MCU characters with the longest potential lifespan? That's exactly why not including them as AAs is such an incredibly stupid decision.

Pop culture has NEVER seen a franchise like the MCU - not even Star Wars. The Disney parks need to start acting like it.
1655272121406.png

Club Cooloholic

This is a huge condemnation of the ride. As Penguin said, the MCU is on the "indelible pop culture icon" level of Indy or Star Wars. It is the safest of the safe properties on which to base a major ride. Even putting aside its long-term cultural resonance, Guardians is perhaps the least cast-dependent property in the MCU - Rocket and Groot can be recast (as they are in CR) and appear in film after film.

The franchise's longevity and cultural importance is exactly why Disney parks handling of the MCU has been so shameful, bad enough that it should attract the interest of even notoriously theme-park-averse shareholders. You are correct - CR (and, even more profoundly, Avengers Campus) feel like attractions based on flash-in-the-pan properties, rushed out to capitalize on momentary success but ready for cheap-and-easy retheming when the cultural moment passes. The Guardians do NOT feel fundamental to CR - the ride simply isn't ingrained with the IP's aesthetic and sensibilities. And remember how I said Rocket and Groot are the two MCU characters with the longest potential lifespan? That's exactly why not including them as AAs is such an incredibly stupid decision.

See I feel you condemned the ride more than me. I just said I loved it, but didn't think the IP had much to do with it. I didn't miss the AAs...I felt it was more like space mountain on steroids. The story didn't make a whole lot of sense. When does this even take place in the MCU timeline?
All I was saying is that they COULD rework it down the line if they ever wanted to. Heck, who knows, 20 years from now Disney might work out a buy out with Uni to put marvel in parks, and they build an Avengers Campus in the east.

DonaldDoleWhip

See I feel you condemned the ride more than me. I just said I loved it, but didn't think the IP had much to do with it. I didn't miss the AAs...I felt it was more like space mountain on steroids. The story didn't make a whole lot of sense. When does this even take place in the MCU timeline?
All I was saying is that they COULD rework it down the line if they ever wanted to. Heck, who knows, 20 years from now Disney might work out a buy out with Uni to put marvel in parks, and they build an Avengers Campus in the east.
I’m completely with you - I think this ride is all the better that it isn’t entirely dependent on its namesake IP (but rather the iconic music that’s a quintessential element of said IP) to be an absolute blast.

It’ll hold up even if the MCU’s Phase 2 doesn’t.

Club Cooloholic

I’m completely with you - I think this ride is all the better that it isn’t entirely dependent on its namesake IP (but rather the iconic music that’s a quintessential element of said IP) to be an absolute blast.

It’ll hold up even if the MCU’s Phase 2 doesn’t.
My wife actually thought the Guardians aspect was a bit distracting from the experience. She said it's sort of like a rock concert in space mixed with the feeling of being on ship as you're blown around. It really works in future world though because it truly gave the feeling of flying through space.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
My wife actually thought the Guardians aspect was a bit distracting from the experience. She said it's sort of like a rock concert ins space mixed with the feeling of being on ship as you're blown around. It really works in future world though because it truly gave the feeling of flying through space.
<takes notes for future High School Musical rotating coaster>

CntrlFlPete

had my 2nd ride today. Today was the 1st time I have ever taken Dramamine, but I was able to stomach the ride today, so now I am afraid to ride w/o a motion sickness defense! My wife hates 'spinning rides' but she loved this one (tool Dramamine as well based on my experience for pass holder previews (which my wife did not make).

My first ride had 'One Way or Another', today was 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World'. The music does seem to have added to the extremes of my rides. I felt OWoA was way more 'in your face', much faster beats seemed to feel more action packed.

Today, I didn't even notice what song it was until I realized at the end that I did not even notice the music -- but, since the song was still playing, I figured it out. I did pick up on more of the 'dialog' during the coaster part today so I do feel re-rides help out on that front.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom