Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

mergatroid

That's kind of my point, actually. I love the Guardians films, and the ride doesn't feel like it really features them at all. That's one of the reasons it seems poorly executed.

I was on board with the idea of using massive screens even though I'm normally not a fan, mainly because it seems like the best way to do a fast story coaster set in space. They just didn't do a very good job.
Sorry should have quoted this post of yours

I think this is where Guardians is a failure in execution.

That doesn't mean the ride itself is a failure (it's obviously not). But from reading comments here and elsewhere, people generally love the ride for the physical thrills (and the music). The story (and the Guardians themselves) is more or less superfluous to the enjoyment.

Theming/story should exist to improve a ride, not simply exist for the sake of existing. I get the impression that if they stripped out the story entirely and you were just looking at stars, planets, etc. it would not affect the ride's quality for the vast majority of guests. That's unfortunate, because they could have easily done that at EPCOT in a way that fit the park's original ethos.
That's why I'm saying that people want Guardians would be disappointed. Different opinions though and all that.

Casper Gutman

I want the Guardians in a Guardians ride. Mission: Breakout provides that. Cosmic Rewind doesn't. The cast is featured on small screens (even when there's a big screen in the room!), the aesthetic is not reminiscent of the Guardians at all, and the plot and villain has no emotional resonance with the characters or the franchise. This last point is particularly egregious, because Disney went to great lengths to establish that, for Peter Quill, EPCOT is closely connected to memories of his Mother. Quill's relationship to his Mother is, of course, the emotional core of both Guardians movies - its the entire reason for all the pop songs on the soundtrack, and why that soundtrack MATTERS. Yet having somewhat ham-handedly linked EPCOT to the central emotional arc of the franchise, Cosmic Rewind uses it for nothing other then a clumsy joke that MOCKS emotional connections to EPCOT! It's one of a long list of story elements the ride sets up at some length that ultimately have no effect on the ride experience, a list that includes time travel, a giant space deity, and the Guardians themselves! You could literally remove the time travel conceit entirely and it would make absolutely no impact on the ride.

What Disney is supposed to bring to rides is story, atmosphere, and theming. GotG succeeds DESPITE, not BECAUSE of, the story, atmosphere, and theming. That fact is compounded by the amount apparently spent on that story, atmosphere, and theming.

yensidtlaw1969

I want the Guardians in a Guardians ride. Mission: Breakout provides that. Cosmic Rewind doesn't. The cast is featured on small screens (even when there's a big screen in the room!), the aesthetic is not reminiscent of the Guardians at all, and the plot and villain has no emotional resonance with the characters or the franchise. This last point is particularly egregious, because Disney went to great lengths to establish that, for Peter Quill, EPCOT is closely connected to memories of his Mother. Quill's relationship to his Mother is, of course, the emotional core of both Guardians movies - its the entire reason for all the pop songs on the soundtrack, and why that soundtrack MATTERS. Yet having somewhat ham-handedly linked EPCOT to the central emotional arc of the franchise, Cosmic Rewind uses it for nothing other then a clumsy joke that MOCKS emotional connections to EPCOT! It's one of a long list of story elements the ride sets up at some length that ultimately have no effect on the ride experience, a list that includes time travel, a giant space deity, and the Guardians themselves! You could literally remove the time travel conceit entirely and it would make absolutely no impact on the ride.

What Disney is supposed to bring to rides is story, atmosphere, and theming. GotG succeeds DESPITE, not BECAUSE of, the story, atmosphere, and theming. That fact is compounded by the amount apparently spent on that story, atmosphere, and theming.
One of the biggest misses to me is the fact that riders are constantly being sent through jump points only to arrive in a place that looks exactly the same as the one they left. Have we moved to another place? Have we moved to another time? You'd never know from looking around, because it's all set in the void of space; perhaps the least-descript environment for showing the supposed change in place and time that the premise is built around. They got the Cosmic part right, but the only real hint of Rewind is the Big Bang projection and the fact that we launch backwards.

It makes me wonder if there's a way they could have set some major portion of the action just above the surface of the Earth, where there could be diverse scenery between the jump points that makes the time and space travel obvious and impressive. Make it that they catch Eson early on as they do, but not before he does something to the Cosmic Generator, causing it to glitch. Then they try to send us back to EPCOT, and they get the right place but the wrong time, so we arrive in the prehistoric era (which gives you the perfect opportunity to reuse some of the UOE Dinos . . .), and they keep jumping us forward in time until we get back to the present day, or something. Make it so that each time we jump it feels like we really went somewhere different instead of just being surrounded by more laser stars in the black of space.

James Alucobond

It makes me wonder if there's a way they could have set some major portion of the action just above the surface of the Earth, where there could be diverse scenery between the jump points that makes the time and space travel obvious and impressive. Make it that they catch Eson early on as they do, but not before he does something to the Cosmic Generator, causing it to glitch. Then they try to send us back to EPCOT, and they get the right place but the wrong time, so we arrive in the prehistoric era (which gives you the perfect opportunity to reuse some of the UOE Dinos . . .), and they keep jumping us forward in time until we get back to the present day, or something. Make it so that each time we jump it feels like we really went somewhere different instead of just being surrounded by more laser stars in the black of space.
I agree that this doesn't read well, and they could've been more diverse even without necessarily featuring the surface of a planet. Like, just put us in the middle of a completely foreign-looking nebula or thrust us into an environment of super-hot primordial gases. The initial big bang blast works decently, but the rest of the environment should be way more chaotic and better express the instability of the young universe.

Casper Gutman

I agree that this doesn't read well, and they could've been more diverse even without necessarily featuring the surface of a planet. Like, just put us in the middle of a completely foreign-looking nebula or thrust us into an environment of super-hot primordial gases. The initial big bang blast works decently, but the rest of the environment should be way more chaotic and better express the instability of the young universe.
I really thought the entire point of the planet prop was a projection effect that would show a planet crashing into existence. Instead its... just sort of there. But I hadn't even thought of what you're saying - filling the space with multi-colored gases could have been visually spectacular. Have the vehicles narrowly dodge some matter thrown out from the explosion. As it is, the big bang is... not big at all.

disneygeek90

Okay. So after close to 20 rides, I've figured it out. The left side is Conga, Everybody Eants to Rule the World, and Disco Inferno. Right side is One Way or Another, I Ran (So Far Away), and September.
I know a few here have debunked this, but, are we sure??

4 rides on the right: 2 September 2 One Way Or Another
3 rides on the left: 2 Everybody wants to rule the world, 1 Conga

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Rode it yesterday for the first time. Return time was 9:59 pm. Due to storm, I think a lot of people left. Got on at 8:30.

First question: who’s STUPID idea was it to design a funnel section of the queue??? That is absolutely awful. It’s awful in haunted mansion, and it’s worse here. There were so many people getting ed off at each other after the pre-show. It was so tense. The line was fine right after the funnel.

The ride itself was super cool. I deem the attraction worthy of Epcot status. However, I got pretty darn dizzy on this ride, not in a good way... and I’m only 24 and go to parks all the time. I have no issues with any ride at all. Not even Mission: Space. But this one almost reached my limit. Too many aspects going on.

I think the rotation with the speed AND the screen was just too much.

WondersOfLife

Side note——

If you have a boarding group, and you need to use a DAS pass for someone in your group (we had a teenager with autism), you can just tell the CM at the front that you need a DAS for it once your boarding group time is open. They’ll let you in the lightning lane line.

correcaminos

Rode it today with an epileptic and 3 who deal with motion sickness issues. Full disclosure is this was part of a tour so we walked right in to the 1st preshow room. Story was super easy to follow until the ride started. To be super safe the one with epilepsy closed and covered eyes on the transporting room.

The story was totally lost on me once on the ride. Still a great ride. We have 2 more Epcot days and we'll try for VQ those days. Really smooth. Made EE feel rough. Not one in our group felt anything bad at all. Hair in face completely for one in the pic. All 3 can do most coasters without issues. EE kinda gets one of them. Two cannot do star tours at all. All 3 felt nothing.

We saw a lady ask for a bag, but that was it. Upon exiting an elderly lady needed help to do the stairs and sat down after. She didn't look dizzy or ill, but shaken.

Had Conga as our song and thrilled.

UNCgolf

I really thought the entire point of the planet prop was a projection effect that would show a planet crashing into existence. Instead its... just sort of there.

I don't think it works very well either; the scale is off and it looks more like you're flying past a little asteroid than something moon/planet sized.

Regardless, yes, it would have been easy to use different colors, possibly even with planets/stars/asteroids in the background, every time you jump to really signify you're in a completely different place like in the images below.

With that said, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a deliberate design choice to keep the ride as dark as possible. Any time there's flashes of brighter color in the current ride you can see surroundings/infrastructure, so they probably wanted to minimize that as much as possible. That's arguably a design flaw too, but that's a separate discussion.

1654482859311.png

1654483090550.png

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Rode it yesterday for the first time. Return time was 9:59 pm. Due to storm, I think a lot of people left. Got on at 8:30.

First question: who’s STUPID idea was it to design a funnel section of the queue??? That is absolutely awful. It’s awful in haunted mansion, and it’s worse here. There were so many people getting ****ed off at each other after the pre-show. It was so tense. The line was fine right after the funnel.

The ride itself was super cool. I deem the attraction worthy of Epcot status. However, I got pretty darn dizzy on this ride, not in a good way... and I’m only 24 and go to parks all the time. I have no issues with any ride at all. Not even Mission: Space. But this one almost reached my limit. Too many aspects going on.

I think the rotation with the speed AND the screen was just too much.
On your first time, you tend to look around more so maybe that's what cause it. You should just look straight and just let the vehicles turn to the direction where they want you to look. If you're purposely watching screens while going at a fast speed and rotating then it will mess you up.

Disney Maddux

I think I mentioned it in my review, but I can do intense coasters all day (even backrow of Rip Ride RockIt), and I have zero issues on Orange mission for MS.

But after getting off this, even I was feeling a little dizzy.

WondersOfLife

On your first time, you tend to look around more so maybe that's what cause it. You should just look straight and just let the vehicles turn to the direction where they want you to look. If you're purposely watching screens while going at a fast speed and rotating then it will mess you up.
That may help... thanks!

..although, I do think that is a bit much to follow for a theme park ride. “Don’t look around too much. That’ll make it worse.” 😂

Giss Neric

1. We travel back through the portal Eson created, and the Guardians follow us (pre launch)
  2. Almost instantly, they knock the Cosmic Generator out of Eson's hand and grab it with their ship's tractor beam (pre launch)
  3. It turns out that the void we were in was before the universe even began; the Big Bang happens, propelling us into the backwards launch
  4. Eson is now chasing the Guardians through time and space, with us tagging along for the ride, as Rocket opens new jump gates with the Generator trying to get back to the present day
  5. Eventually, the Nova Corps show up and restrain Eson with their grid of ships (before the moon section).
  6. Since he's no longer chasing us, the Guardians are free to take us and the Generator back to EPCOT.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I think that shows very well how overcomplicated this story is for a roller coaster. It sounds fine on paper, but it could have been much more successful being a simpler story - especially since you need about five more points from the pre-show to have the whole thing summarized.

It's like a 60 minute presentation someone tried to squeeze into 15 minutes vs editing the focus to appropriately fit into the time allotted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom