News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

yensidtlaw1969

Having just gotten off an actual ride I agree 100%. This ridiculous demand that if there are no animatronics it should be dismissed is ridiculous. The right tech should be used to enhance an experience, not just force something in because someone prefers it. On this one, after actually riding I believe they have used the right solutions.
No one's demanding dismissal based on the lack of Animatronics.

Animatronics were planned to be included in Cosmic Rewind and were cut. There are several points within the attraction as built where an animatronic would be more compelling to witness than yet another movie star on yet another screen.

It seems plenty fair to say "There would be more to celebrate if this attraction featured Animatronics where they were intended because that would add value higher than looking at just another projection". That's very different from "There are no AA's so throw the whole thing out", which I don't think anyone serious is saying.

donsullivan

Premium Member
No one's demanding dismissal based on the lack of Animatronics.

Animatronics were planned to be included in Cosmic Rewind and were cut. There are several points within the attraction as built where an animatronic would be more compelling to witness than yet another movie star on yet another screen.

It seems plenty fair to say "There would be more to celebrate if this attraction featured Animatronics where they were intended because that would add value higher than looking at just another projection". That's very different from "There are no AA's so throw the whole thing out", which I don't think anyone serious is saying.
Why waste your energy stressing about what you heard ‘might’ have been considered instead of just enjoying what was built. You are choosing a viewpoint to leave yourself disappointed. I have no fact what may or may not have had to be value engineered on this attraction, but never has an attraction been built that wasn’t VE’d at some stage of its life.

I conciously choose to focus on experiencing what was created instead obsessively comparing it to some mythical thing that wasn’t. I enjoy the parks more that way.

yensidtlaw1969

Why waste your energy stressing about what you heard ‘might’ have been considered instead of just enjoying what was built. You are choosing a viewpoint to leave yourself disappointed. I have no fact what may or may not have had to be value engineered on this attraction, but never has an attraction been built that wasn’t VE’d at some stage of its life.
I have no idea what makes you think I couldn't possibly enjoy the attraction as built while also thinking about it critically.

I assumed that's what most of us here do.

Casper Gutman

I have no idea what makes you think I couldn't possibly enjoy the attraction as built while also thinking about it critically.

I assumed that's what most of us here do.
We're at that phase in a new rides lifespan where any suggestion that it is not the greatest attraction ever built is taken as equivalent to condemning the attraction as worthless and demanding that it be put to the flame. This is despite the fact that it seems every criticism from the grumps in the years leading up to the rides opening has proven to be correct and, in some cases, even more glaring then the grumps anticipated.

As a grump, I will endorse the following statement: "Cosmic Rewind is almost certainly a fun, exciting attraction, a definite upgrade over Ellen's Energy Adventure, and a positive addition to EPCOT as it exists today." In return, I would hope more optimistic posters would approve of this sentiment: "Cosmic Rewind and its development process contain elements that are worthy of criticism, and some of these elements are intimately linked to larger and more profound issues effecting EPCOT in particular and WDW in general and that have a continuing negative impact on the guest experience." Please note that these statements are not mutually exclusive.

Casper Gutman

I conciously choose to focus on experiencing what was created instead obsessively comparing it to some mythical thing that wasn’t. I enjoy the parks more that way.
So you haven't seen the primary piece of concept art for this attraction? The one that was used to publicize the attraction during its many, many years of development? Because I'm not sure how mythical that is.

celluloid

That awkward moment when you realize the only Animatronics/physical character representation left in the front half of EPCOT are with The Land, Journey into Imagination and (sort of)Nemo.

donsullivan

Premium Member
My general impressions after 3 rides in Passholder Preview this afternoon.

- not the most intense coaster ever but it doesn’t need to be for it to be enjoyable.
- more spinning of the ride cars than I expected but it adds a wonderful element to the ride.
- second to last row (front seat of last car) is best for launch. Front is best after that. (I rode both today)
- there is so much going on throughout you will miss a lot even after multiple re-rides. I saw stuff in a preshow room on third ride I had completely missed on earlier rides.
- the very last row has a flip out panel on the side of the car to ease mobility transfer into the vehicle.
- music track adds a lot to the experience. I got a different song on each ride.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m glad I took advantage of the passholder preview since I imagine it will be very difficult to get on for a good long while. While of course the Epcot connection is a ‘little’ forced I personally think it’s a great addition to the park.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

My general impressions after 3 rides in Passholder Preview this afternoon.

- not the most intense coaster ever but it doesn’t need to be for it to be enjoyable.
Thanks! Very helpful! For a ride wimp like me, who’s done and can tolerate Matterhorn, BTMRR, Splash, Space, and 7DMT - but hasnt worked up courage for RNRC or EE, how does this stack up?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Thanks! Very helpful! For a ride wimp like me, who’s done and can tolerate Matterhorn, BTMRR, Splash, Space, and 7DMT - but hasnt worked up courage for RNRC or EE, how does this stack up?
Focusing just on ride intensity I’d put it between Big Thunder and Space with a little bit of 7DMT for the spinning element. But there is so much going on it can be more of a sensory overload than those. Every age group I saw getting off had a huge smile.

Last edited:

tommyhawkins

So you feel that, had they built the preshow scene depicted in the primary piece of concept art, that would have diminished the attraction?

Also, to Tommyhawkins, what is so innovative about the preshow screens?

Innovative....for Disney lol. No. They aren't just flat screens, some In queue I had had trouble photographing yesterday they seem to be more holographic. But the glen close holding room and then the main room theyre double projecting onto a a transparent screen creating musion. It's adding a lot of depth to the space related content to something that would other wise be a flat dull screen. It's really impressive

ctrlaltdel

One note - if you are going for previews, when the queue is full, it takes about 30 minutes to get through. The outdoor queue on the side can then take 10-20 minutes to get through and is pretty brutal in full afternoon sun with no umbrellas or shade.
This seems like really bad design by Disney if you're saying what I think you're saying. Seems like a disaster if they only have 30 mins worth of queue indoors and an outdoor queue that doesn't even have dividers, much less shade.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This seems like really bad design by Disney if you're saying what I think you're saying. Seems like a disaster if they only have 30 mins worth of queue indoors and an outdoor queue that doesn't even have dividers, much less shade.
Not a problem for a ride that won't have standby for a long time.

lazyboy97o

The beauty of FastPass. If half the capacity was allocated to reservations then that 30 minute queue space becomes a 60 minute queue space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom