News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

It's worth noting that we were never given any indication that anything planned for the Skyliner was cut - the concept art always showed unthemed towers.

It's a bit of a stretch to assume they would have themed them if not for "budget cuts". Not every decision, poor or otherwise, comes down to that.
Agreed.

I was responding to the general comment that Imgineering was lazy, not any specific instance of seemingly minimal effort put into theme/design.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They could have designed the placement of the ship to allow all three lower fins to have an attach point.. think like a cradle design. Or done some sort of rear support fork model (think like they did with the Tie fighters in later star wars projects).

You'd think with SSE and it's innovative 'floating ball' just right next door they would have been under pressure to make this effect look genuine.

But a ground structure that was uneven in levels could have been made to look like a docking pad attaching at the fins with enough volume to have hard mount points.

Obobru

Disney is known for recycling old attraction parts into new attractions. It's great to see they kept part of the old Mickey Wand that used to loom over Spaceship Earth waiting for the right attraction to showcase this long stored piece from a Disney classic. I can imagine people lining up to get an instagramable photo with this iconic piece of metal.

sedati

I don't think it looks complete yet. Isn't it still missing this piece on the bottom?

View attachment 616999
I did a quick photoshop using one of Bio's pics and here's an approximation based on the concept art (not that rough scan above which is a less preferable if not more probable possibility:

Untitled-2.jpg

There's more than just a fin. Even in the film, there's more body beneath the cockpit. I also filled in the support, though to satisfy the nostalgic, they could cover it with mirror tiles like there used to be on Energy and also the structure hiding Spaceship Earth's elevator.

No Name

I did a quick photoshop using one of Bio's pics and here's an approximation based on the concept art (not that rough scan above which is a less preferable if not more probable possibility:

View attachment 617792

There's more than just a fin. Even in the film, there's more body beneath the cockpit. I also filled in the support, though to satisfy the nostalgic, they could cover it with mirror tiles like there used to be on Energy and also the structure hiding Spaceship Earth's elevator.
I don’t think there’s any fin being added in the front, nor is there in the movie.

tommyhawkins

View attachment 617792

i think youre over thinking it, its gonna look like what it is....a stand to land the ship on, similar colours to imply its meant to be there. if they had shown them landing like this in the movie everyone would be praising how much like the film they got it.
zanadustand.png

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I do hope there is a full size Milano ship in the queue, as while this looks ok, I bet most people don't really remember it from the first movie

sedati

i think youre over thinking it, its gonna look like what it is....a stand to land the ship on, similar colours to imply its meant to be there. if they had shown them landing like this in the movie everyone would be praising how much like the film they got it.
View attachment 617805
Very well may be, I just was looking at the features on the concept art being pointed out by others and wanted to see what that might look like. As I said in my post, based on the more recent image from the imagineer's tablet, what you've posted is more likely.

James Alucobond

From what is visible in the newer art, it won't be styled to look like part of the ship. It will be more than a plain, flat color, but it will look like a separate docking platform.
That isn’t better. It’s already too big and bulk.
Again, I think it's only "too bulky" if, narratively speaking, it's supposed to be an armature for displaying an inactive ship. If the intent is to make it look like a proper docking station for a functioning vehicle that is actively transporting Xandarians to the pavilion, I don't think the same rules apply. Of course, it could still end up looking terrible if it's just not aesthetically pleasing, but if it's supposed to appear to be functional, I don't immediately think it looks too big relative to the size of the ship.

No Name

From what is visible in the newer art, it won't be styled to look like part of the ship. It will be more than a plain, flat color, but it will look like a separate docking platform.

Again, I think it's only "too bulky" if, narratively speaking, it's supposed to be an armature for displaying an inactive ship. If the intent is to make it look like a proper docking station for a functioning vehicle that is actively transporting Xandarians to the pavilion, I don't think the same rules apply. Of course, it could still end up looking terrible if it's just not aesthetically pleasing, but if it's supposed to appear to be functional, I don't immediately think it looks too big relative to the size of the ship.
I don’t see how it could be a docking station story-wise. First of all, these star blasters only hold 1 person I think. I don’t know that for sure but they definitely aren’t a means of transporting people. Second, what an odd and inefficient place for a single docking station, right in front-center of the building, facing the opposite direction, and completely surrounded by shrubbery and/or a small fence. Everything about it screams display stand and not docking station.

lazyboy97o

I don’t see how it could be a docking station story-wise. First of all, these star blasters only hold 1 person I think. I don’t know that for sure but they definitely aren’t a means of transporting people. Second, what an odd and inefficient place for a single docking station, right in front-center of the building, facing the opposite direction, and completely surrounded by shrubbery and/or a small fence. Everything about it screams display stand and not docking station.
Even as a docking station, the whole appeal of Xandar is it being technologically advanced. That this grand star fighter sits on a box doesn’t really follow the romance of the imagery, even if it was somehow a practical way of boarding this unpractical design.

James Alucobond

The look of Xandar is eclectic. While they have what appear to be romantic, graceful public spaces, much of what I assume is government or military infrastructure is incredibly utilitarian and blocky. Again, I'm not discounting that this dock could look hideous, or even that its placement is impractical due to it trying to fill a gap left over from a repurposed building. I just don't view it as being wildly out of scale.
1643598104285.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I do hope there is a full size Milano ship in the queue, as while this looks ok, I bet most people don't really remember it from the first movie
Artist concept shows it's a screen with maybe Groot and Rocket outside it as AAs. The live actors appear in the Milano talking to you. They're obviously going to be on film.

Epcot82Guy

They made the ship structure jarring to distract from the fact the ride doesn’t fit in at EPCOT to begin with!

I'm waiting with baited breath for Thee Zach Riddley's Post:

"Going with lower design standards and exposed industrial elements represents the decades of minimal capital we spent on this park, allowing us to evolve the story into the incredibly cohesive neighborhoods of new Epcot. But being our own corporate sponsor, we took the risks of misplaced corporate sponsors from EPCOT Center and evolved them into true shoehorning. This is corporate synergy at it's best! Plus, senior leadership gave us the added bonus of simply giving up on making this look great. This allowed us to draw on the corporate energy that created the Epcot of the 2000s we all know and love. This is perhaps the best example of just how much we honor the history and story of Epcot."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom