News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is still a road to the south of the gravity building.

Solved...

1548622093585.png

tparris

It's literally one of the ugliest buildings on the planet. The failed attempt at camouflage just makes it ugly AND tacky.
I wouldn’t call this a failed attempt in the slightest. Would you rather have it be heavily themed and take away from SSE? It’s not supposed to be invisible, because that isn’t possible. You don’t really notice it unless you are looking for it specifically. Most people won’t give it a second thought unless they are looking at it from the parking lot or across WS Lagoon.

sedati

Some really tall trees could still go in to block the building. Then it makes more sense to paint it blue so anything showing through the trees will blend in as sky. The key here is the trees would need to be quite tall.
I seem to remember once being evacuated from Splash Mountain and seeing these trees backstage that were in these huge cement pot-like structures. This raised up what were smaller trees and made them seem much taller onstage.

tparris

I get that the building is an eyesore in its current state. But I will hold out hope that it is not too noticeable while walking through the park.
The only place where it’s really “in your face” is the parking lot, and most people will have their attention on SSE anyways. You can’t even see it from the old Energy pavilion. It is visible from most of WS, though, but it’s a lot less noticeable than the TT building IMO.

RandySavage

The approach to the park (as well as how it will look from half of World Showcase promenade) should be have been given consideration by the Imagineers involved, since we know the Bobs-at-the-Top don't care. How a similar coaster project would look for MK's southwestern Adventureland expansion pad:
MK Boxing.jpg

I think a sleek, elegant naked coaster (like Hulk) would have been much better for vistas than what's happening with GotG.

Poor EPCOT Center... wasn't enough to kill its spirit, now they have to drag its body through the dust like Hector. And to continue referencing mythology, Chapek is like the legendary giant Thunderbird, flying over WDW and farting out really tall stacks of mediocrity at random (Tron box, GotG box, Corondo tower, Swolphin tower, Riviera).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I haven’t followed this thread that close so I may have missed it, but do we know that they are planning on keeping the building as is without any attempt to preserve views from inside the park? Seems like a lot of griping over something that may get better once finished.

lazyboy97o

I haven’t followed this thread that close so I may have missed it, but do we know that they are planning on keeping the building as is without any attempt to preserve views from inside the park? Seems like a lot of griping over something that may get better once finished.
The whole point of prefinished insulted metal panels is that they are prefinished. There is nothing there to support the weight of anything else.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Saw this in person yesterday while driving (had to go back to VGF to retrieve an item left there on the previous Friday night), so I can finally say I have at least a little in-person perspective now.

From the outside, it is... big. It grabs your eye's attention because of its size. I can see how it won't be as eye-grabbing from inside the park, due to other factors, but all the paint in the world isn't going to reduce the sheer size of the building.

lazyboy97o

How many of you commenting have actually seen this building? If your hundreds (or thousands) of miles away I’d suggest reserving judgement.

In time it will be not much worse than the Soarin buildings AND it does fade into the background from the park... I think the vast majority of guests will a) not even realize the coaster is in it, and b) not think it distracts from anything.
I’ve seen it. It’s a monstrosity.

MickeyMinnieMom

The approach to the park (as well as how it will look from half of World Showcase promenade) should be have been given consideration by the Imagineers involved, since we know the Bobs-at-the-Top don't care. How a similar coaster project would look for MK's southwestern Adventureland expansion pad:
View attachment 344996
I don't think this pic is a valid comparison at all. When one approaches the building from this angle at Epcot, it's from the parking lot -- which is not exactly a pretty vista without this building! With MK parking at TTC, it's a totally different ballgame -- by design. They obviously never went for that with any park besides MK.

I've heard people mention some intentionality as you approach Epcot from the parking lot... to me, with every other park besides MK, "on stage" begins as you enter the gates -- not in the parking lot. MK is an exception. From "on stage" in Epcot, this building isn't nearly the problem the photoshopped pic suggests.

RandySavage

They obviously never went for that with any park besides MK.

I've heard people mention some intentionality as you approach Epcot from the parking lot... to me, with every other park besides MK, "on stage" begins as you enter the gates -- not in the parking lot. MK is an exception. From "on stage" in Epcot, this building isn't nearly the problem the photoshopped pic suggests.
The MK is particularly special in that way, but there are other Dis examples of the pre-park approach, ticketing & transporation areas being carefully considered, "on stage" and looking very elegant & appealing (e.g., Hong Kong Disneyland).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom