News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Bairstow

No. Coaster first and foremost.

Besides, doesn't "omnimover" imply a continuous, unbroken chain of ride vehicles? The Vlodrop pictures posted appears to show a train of 4 pivoting cars (with only the first and last cars installed on the test trains).
How exactly is this that different from the various iterations of Mack's spinning coaster designs?

Awakening

i highly doubt a 2 minute roller coaster featuring the guardians of the galaxy will inform me at all about anything, much less energy.

Did the length of the ride get announced and I wasn't paying attention? As far as I'm aware the only thing we know about it is that it's Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe the ride system, and that it'll have scenes in it. Everyone just seems to have this negative opinion when for all we know, it could be a worthwhile ride.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
If it starts as an energy ride that is overtaken by the Guardians... could be interesting and funny.

Could be a cool concept indeed. Maybe start looking very much like an omnimover with a continually moving string of cars going through the station (similar to the original Journey into Imagination) and maybe stay that way for a show scene or two making it seem like an omnimover in all respects with set pieces and songs hearkening back to classic 80s omnimover attractions, then at some point, that train "segment" speeds up as the GOTG take over separating it from the rest of the string of cars [again, not unlike the original Journey into Imagination] into the launch and the coaster portion of the attraction.

Disney Analyst

Could be a cool concept indeed. Maybe start looking very much like an omnimover with a continually moving string of cars going through the station (similar to the original Journey into Imagination) and maybe stay that way for a show scene or two making it seem like an omnimover in all respects with set pieces and songs hearkening back to classic 80s omnimover attractions, then at some point, the train "segment" speeds up as the GOTG take over separating it from the rest of the train into the launch and the coaster portion of the attraction.

We should be hired.

Awakening

Could be a cool concept indeed. Maybe start looking very much like an omnimover with a continually moving string of cars going through the station (similar to the original Journey into Imagination) and maybe stay that way for a show scene or two making it seem like an omnimover in all respects with set pieces and songs hearkening back to classic 80s omnimover attractions, then at some point, the train "segment" speeds up as the GOTG take over separating it from the rest of the train into the launch and the coaster portion of the attraction.

I like to imagine that since Guardians is so self-referential already, that Peter Quill might make a comment about how EPCOT is for learning, or how that's not as prevalent since he last visited, and take it upon himself to teach the audience as we join him on the journey.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I like to imagine that since Guardians is so self-referential already, that Peter Quill might make a comment about how EPCOT is for learning.

I like to hope that how Peter Quill so so nostalgic for the music of his childhood, that they might bring back some of the original UoE songs as part of the ride's mix-tape soundtrack... (*breaks out into song*) "Energy, these are a few of your faces, glowing in timeless places, bringing our lives new graces"....

Awakening

I like to hope that how Peter Quill so so nostalgic for the music of his childhood, that they might bring back some of the original UoE songs as part of the ride's mix-tape soundtrack...

Same. There are so many possibilities and options that can be explored, while still keeping the spirit of both GOTG and EPCOT alive and prevalent. It just seems silly to write it off as a failure when construction just started.

October82

For you maybe?

Same. There are so many possibilities and options that can be explored, while still keeping the spirit of both GOTG and EPCOT alive and prevalent. It just seems silly to write it off as a failure when construction just started.

It's not a value judgement - it's simply a consequence of choosing to do a short thrill ride in a space that is replacing a 40 minute reflection on a complicated topic.

GotG isn't going to be "meaningful", even if they mention the word energy, that doesn't mean it won't be "entertaining".

smile

Besides, doesn't "omnimover" imply a continuous, unbroken chain of ride vehicles? The Vlodrop pictures posted appears to show a train of 4 pivoting cars (with only the first and last cars installed on the test trains).
How exactly is this that different from the various iterations of Mack's spinning coaster designs?

consider primeval whirl vs. gringotts...
generally, the former does either free or measured momentum based spins while the later is targeted aim/directional positioning.

for example, one could program a 3-car train at a show scene to the right of the track and have car 1 at 135°, car 2 90°, car 3 45° so all are towards, regardless the orientation of the track or train itself...
so, an omni (or even lps) in the vague sense they can be pointed in directions irrespective of the track... at least that's what i got from the inference.

unique, but not particularly novel unless designed to be

matt9112

So likely the spinning will act more as an element to ensure that you are facing in the direction that they want you to face for each segment of the ride? Maybe facing to the side for a show scene/projection or backwards for a downhill portion? Not completely dissimilar to how an omnimover points you in the direction that they want you to look, only this will be on a (mostly) free moving vehicle and the rotation will be controlled completely electronically?

If this is the case, it could yield some interesting results. Like the ability to randomize the rotation (sometimes you see an element on the left side, sometimes on the right side), maybe have a segment where two adjacent cars are facing each other, or change the rotations for different "versions" of the ride (like a Halloween version)...

Could even be a good place to use Disney's new patent that senses how scared you are. Maybe if it senses you are scared, your ride car stays facing forward the whole time, but if it senses you are not scared, the vehicle rotation becomes much more erratic (controlled, just going down more hills backwards/sideways)...

No insider info coming from me though, of course, just spit-balling ideas based on what has already been said...

hasn't Martin hinted that there's no real show scenes except before and after gravity building?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom