News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

DisneyDodo

Many people have this tendency to dislike a business decision, simply because it is motivated by profit. For most, this feeling is subconscious and they will justify the dislike by convincing themselves that the business decision is actually harming the customer. I believe this to be the underlying reason that people on these boards criticize Disney for its use of IPs, clones, gift shops, and upcharge VIP experiences. In reality, these things are not detrimental to the parks and, when used correctly, can actually enhance them.

I’ve seen this tendency applied not only to Disney parks, but in many other realms, as well. It’s clearly a common trait in human nature, but it does lead to some irrational disdain.

Jenny72

Well, the question is, is Disney using these things "correctly," in a way that enhances the parks? I guess your view is that they are? Can you explain how in your view the parks are enhanced by its current use of gift shops and IP?

lazyboy97o

Many people have this tendency to dislike a business decision, simply because it is motivated by profit. For most, this feeling is subconscious and they will justify the dislike by convincing themselves that the business decision is actually harming the customer. I believe this to be the underlying reason that people on these boards criticize Disney for its use of IPs, clones, gift shops, and upcharge VIP experiences. In reality, these things are not detrimental to the parks and, when used correctly, can actually enhance them.

I’ve seen this tendency applied not only to Disney parks, but in many other realms, as well. It’s clearly a common trait in human nature, but it does lead to some irrational disdain.
What a wordy way to trot out the dumb “Disney is a business” line.

Frizzball

I honestly find I prefer IP rides to 'original' concepts because it feels like becoming part of a movie I love and that's amazing. Theme parks in the UK are all generic out of the box ride with an 'original' theme so Disney's use of IP's feels incredibly unique especially when they're carried out with such care and extreme attention to detail as Avatar Land. I love Guardians of the Galaxy and I can't wait to ride a ride based on it. I love what Disney did with the overlay on Tower of Terror in California even if I'm annoyed that they replaced the original. If this ride ends up being just as connected to the source material as that I will be ecstatic.

The problem I have with Disney's use of IP is never that they are using it but WHERE they are using it. Frozen should not be in the Norway pavilion, it should not have such a small capacity and it should not have replaced a ride that actually fit the theme of Epcot. Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway (or whatever it's called) should not be replacing a ride that provides the perfect representation of Hollywood Studios themeing. GOTG, no matter how much I am looking forward to it (we were going to visit in 2020 but have now pushed it to 2021 to ensure we get to ride it) is almost definitely going to be a bad fit for EPCOT.

I have no problem with Disney using IP and I think it's incredibly strange to expect them not to but I am annoyed that recently this use of IP has begun to heavily disrupt the overall themeing of the parks.

Thebolt

[QUOTE="Chris82, post: 7973633, member: 108514]I'm not persuaded that Disney's design for Galaxy's Edge will necessarily scratch the same Potter itch. No one wants to go to Batuu or whatever the heck it is in the same way they want to go to Hogwarts or Diagon Alley. But I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Who was clamouring for Hogsmead? Everyone wanted Hogwarts, but a tuck shop would not have paid the bills... So they built retail

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The problem I have with Disney's use of IP is never that they are using it but WHERE they are using it. Frozen should not be in the Norway pavilion, it should not have such a small capacity and it should not have replaced a ride that actually fit the theme of Epcot.
FWIW, they resolve some of the Arandale/Norway tension in the short running with Coco... and I should put "short" in quotes because 20 minutes is kinda long for a short.

Last edited:

AEfx

I don’t think they do.

What they do want is P&R to be the primary cash generator for the whole company. The recent restructuring is just the start. They think adding just IP to the parks will help this. I think they’re wrong going 100% IP but what do I know.

If the goal of building new attractions is to attract people to the parks, then yeah - on this one I will disagree with you.

Incomudro

[QUOTE="Chris82, post: 7973633, member: 108514]I'm not persuaded that Disney's design for Galaxy's Edge will necessarily scratch the same Potter itch. No one wants to go to Batuu or whatever the heck it is in the same way they want to go to Hogwarts or Diagon Alley. But I could be wrong.

Who was clamouring for Hogsmead? Everyone wanted Hogwarts, but a tuck shop would not have paid the bills... So they built retail[/QUOTE]

I'm actually glad that Disney chose to not faithfully replicate a pre existing and specific Star Wars location.
I'd rather explore a new one, than place myself in familiar locations.
I may be a minority in that opinion, I don't know...

Pixieish

Who was clamouring for Hogsmead? Everyone wanted Hogwarts, but a tuck shop would not have paid the bills... So they built retail

I'm actually glad that Disney chose to not faithfully replicate a pre existing and specific Star Wars location.
I'd rather explore a new one, than place myself in familiar locations.
I may be a minority in that opinion, I don't know
I'm right there with ya.

matt9112

Epcot beat museums hands-down by being the newest. Then, it wasn't. Other museums came about and outshined it, maybe not in scope or scale, but in innovation. Then they didn't. On and on- it's a cycle. Most museums become embarrassingly out of date before they (hopefully) get a bump back up on top for a brief shining moment. Like you mentioned, it's really those traveling, temporary exhibits and films that keep most of these type of facilities at all relevant.

not just newness but stuff you couldn't see anywhere else. i missed Epcot in its prime due to my age but i still remember seeing my first robot vacuum,dimming lights,touch screens among other things at Epcot. it wasn't just the educational factor. It was things you legitimately wouldn't see anywhere else in the world (if you were not wealthy) that is what made it special to me.

RSoxNo1

I don't see the harm in using IPs. I'd prefer a mixture and it would be great to get more 'original' rides, but the outrage at IPs has always been a bit much, but to each their own. If Imagineering had come up with some of this on their own and not based on a movie franchise no one would bat an eye. I don't see the harm *where it makes sense*. (And Guardians is one of those times where it does NOT make sense, and Epcot has a sad history of this pattern. I don't give a flying you know what that Quill "visited Epcot as a kid". When it comes right down to it, that's extremely insulting to us, TBH)
No the outrage hasn't been a "bit much". You said it yourself. There needs to be a mixture.

This is Potter's fault and the fault of simple minded execs that think that Potter's success is solely based on the IP. The quality has to be there too, and sometimes an original concept is better.

RSoxNo1

I don’t think they do.

What they do want is P&R to be the primary cash generator for the whole company. The recent restructuring is just the start. They think adding just IP to the parks will help this. I think they’re wrong going 100% IP but what do I know.
Still relevant every time I re-post it. Addicted to the Easy Money

In that article, I use the following quote:
As we spend money at the parks on new attractions that are based on known intellectual property and brands, the likelihood of their success is greater. So when we increase Toy Story’s presence or other Pixar presence, when we put Frozen in the parks, when we grow Star Wars presence, which we will do significantly, when we do it with Princess, for instance, you’re going to see, I think, basically better bets being made that pay off, that are more likely to pay off for us than some of the bets that were made in the past. – Bob Iger, Quarter 3, Fiscal Year 2014 Earnings Call

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Still relevant every time I re-post it. Addicted to the Easy Money

In that article, I use the following quote:
As we spend money at the parks on new attractions that are based on known intellectual property and brands, the likelihood of their success is greater. So when we increase Toy Story’s presence or other Pixar presence, when we put Frozen in the parks, when we grow Star Wars presence, which we will do significantly, when we do it with Princess, for instance, you’re going to see, I think, basically better bets being made that pay off, that are more likely to pay off for us than some of the bets that were made in the past. – Bob Iger, Quarter 3, Fiscal Year 2014 Earnings Call
In that respect Eisner was a better CEO. IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom