News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

trainplane3

It was pretty meh for me. And despite what anyone will believe, I did go in wanting to like it.

It's fun, sure, but the phrase in my mind when I got off was "shockingly threadbare".
The story just keeps making less sense the more I think about it. I remember in GotG 1 how those little ships did nothing with holding back whatever it was and somehow they're holding back a giant space god?

Give me a version with that UoE intro theme they have a 90 second recording laying around of. Still probably would've enjoyed a storyless energy coaster more.

Also, the night lighting package on the UoE building is shockingly bad in person. Like, really bad. This picture probably isn't fair to use but the whole building is incredibly bland looking:
NwCTIAm.jpg

I'm willing to excuse the other pavilions since they were from a different generation. But looking at how nice the Creations/Connections walkway is and the entire entrance plaza including the restrooms and then you have this as your flagship attraction? Someone dropped the ball along the way. Oh and there isn't an external pavilion loop, is there? It's just the entrance plaza music with some spaceship hum, right?

disneygeek90

Both of my past two ride, last Saturday and yesterday, featured at least two broken screens. Really hope that issue isn’t lasting longer than a few hours or even a day because it is woefully noticeable when there’s just a big dark empty wall next to you.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Both of my past two ride, last Saturday and yesterday, featured at least two broken screens. Really hope that issue isn’t lasting longer than a few hours or even a day because it is woefully noticeable when there’s just a big dark empty wall next to you.
Interesting, do you recall which ones?

disneygeek90

Interesting, do you recall which ones?
The one yesterday was the first one after turning back forward, the nice long one where you’re riding along the side of the wall. Felt really bad with that one out.

This was a different one than Saturday, which was one of the smaller ones about halfway through and probably less noticeable to most.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm willing to excuse the other pavilions since they were from a different generation. But looking at how nice the Creations/Connections walkway is and the entire entrance plaza including the restrooms and then you have this as your flagship attraction? Someone dropped the ball along the way. Oh and there isn't an external pavilion loop, is there? It's just the entrance plaza music with some spaceship hum, right?
I think really the lighting at Xandar is inline with what we see in the breezeway and main entrance, basically a lot of color changing LEDs in either strips or clusters. I think a lot more could have been done in both areas.

trainplane3

I think really the lighting at Xandar is inline with what we see in the breezeway and main entrance, basically a lot of color changing LEDs in either strips or clusters. I think a lot more could have been done in both areas.
I won't disagree. I guess my issue comes from how dark the rest of the pavilion is. The initial D23 art had lighting along the sides while the final result (after changing the pavilion colors from bronze to what it is now) is just painted highlights. Just a purple/blue glow so it's not very exciting for the headline attraction.

Definitely should've done something more with the panels on the roof of the building?

UNCgolf

The one yesterday was the first one after turning back forward, the nice long one where you’re riding along the side of the wall. Felt really bad with that one out.

This was a different one than Saturday, which was one of the smaller ones about halfway through and probably less noticeable to most.

This is an issue with using screens/projections heavily -- if they aren't functioning the whole ride experience in that section goes away (outside of any physical thrill). With AAs/physical sets, even if some of the effects are broken, there are still actual physical objects there to see/experience and give a sense of place.

I don't think they had any choice but to use screens/projections on this particular ride due to its nature, though.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I wonder if it's less a broken screen and more an issue with the proxi-sensor indicating when the media needs to start playing...
Could be. The timing was all out of whack yesterday. Ride was down about 10 mins while in line. Once the ride ended we pulled up way short of the lighted tunnel, music stopped early, and a long pause to get to the exit. Definitely not one of their smoothest evenings.

With how heavily the visuals rely on screens though, you really can’t afford to have this a consistent issue whether it be screen or timing problems.

doctornick

Two broken screens already?
Just to clarify, but I don't think there are any actual "screens" on the ride, right? I think all the video is projections onto the walls. So, when a video is down, it's a probably with the projector in same fashion (as mentioned, might just be the mechanism that triggers to tell the camera to project the image). Just a minor quibble to be clear, since the ride doesn't have giant TV screens on the walls.

MrPromey

Just to clarify, but I don't think there are any actual "screens" on the ride, right? I think all the video is projections onto the walls. So, when a video is down, it's a probably with the projector in same fashion (as mentioned, might just be the mechanism that triggers to tell the camera to project the image). Just a minor quibble to be clear, since the ride doesn't have giant TV screens on the walls.
Pretty sure for visual integrity, most projected media this like this are projected on to screens rather than walls, similar to how you don't got into the movies and stare at a white wall before the lights go down.

With this in mind, I think the word screens still likely fits since there's more than one kind of screen.

Maybe it's a generational thing but a projection screen is what I automatically thought of when I saw "screens" in relation to this ride.

All that said, I can see where people talking about screens being "down" might come across as confusing to some, I guess since that does make it sound like we're talking about an LED or something that way.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Pretty sure for visual integrity, most projected media this like this are projected on to screens rather than walls, similar to how you don't got into the movies and stare at a white wall before the lights go down.

With this in mind, I think the word screens still likely fits since.

Maybe it's a generational thing but a projection screen is what I automatically thought of when I saw "screens" in relation to this ride.

All that said, I can see where people talking about screens being "down" might come across as confusing to some, I guess.
I think the distinction they were trying to make was that they don't believe Cosmic Rewind features large Television Screens, or LED Screens.

This is part of the issue with discourse around "screens" within theme parks - there's a lot of diverse tech and applications of it that can all fall under the umbrella of "Screens", and not all of them are problematic to the same degree. I feel like the conversation around projections and video installations could be more productive if we as a collective made up our minds to be more specific with our language than just calling it all "screens", but heck if I know how to get us to the point where we're doing that.

MrPromey

I think the distinction they were trying to make was that they don't believe Cosmic Rewind features large Television Screens, or LED Screens.

This is part of the issue with discourse around "screens" within theme parks - there's a lot of diverse tech and applications of it that can all fall under the umbrella of "Screens", and not all of them are problematic to the same degree. I feel like the conversation around projections and video installations could be more productive if we as a collective made up our minds to be more specific with our language than just calling it all "screens", but heck if I know how to get us to the point where we're doing that.
I get it :)

I made a quick edit that messed up my post in a couple of places without me realizing. That's why the second sentence in where you quoted ends weirdly with just "since" and I didn't notice it until your response.

I updated it so it hopefully makes more sense.

doctornick

With this in mind, I think the word screens still likely fits since there's more than one kind of screen.

All that said, I can see where people talking about screens being "down" might come across as confusing to some, I guess since that does make it sound like we're talking about an LED or something that way.

Right. I mean, I get that they are projecting onto something akin to a movie screen and not just white drywall, but I was replying to the statement that the "screen is broken" doesn't really make sense in that context. It would be more correct to say that the projection is down in terms of identifying the potential issue at play.

"Screen is down" sounds more like a large video monitor that is malfunctioning.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Right. I mean, I get that they are projecting onto something akin to a movie screen and not just white drywall, but I was replying to the statement that the "screen is broken" doesn't really make sense in that context. It would be more correct to say that the projection is down in terms of identifying the potentially at play.

"Screen is down" sounds more like a large video monitor that is malfunctioning.
I think we're on the same page. 👍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom