Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

I guess i don't see how Tron fits Epcot better than GotG. Neither belong, but that ship has apparently sailed.

I wish both Guardians and Tron were going into Tomorrowland. The city in Guardians of the Galaxy would work well with that design sensibility. It has a very retro futurist look.
With what is planned how are we supposed to distinguish Future World and Tomorrowland because it seems they are both becoming generic sci-fi lands?

HMF

It's been floated that "Future World" as a theme won't be staying.
I know but whatever they are going to call it will still be the same basic premise. I always felt the "Future World" name was mis-leading because it was always more of a showcase of futureistic technology not a semi-realistic vision of the future like tomorrowland is/was.

Timothy_Q

I know but whatever they are going to call it will still be the same basic premise. I always felt the "Future World" name was mis-leading because it was always more of a showcase of futureistic technology not a semi-realistic vision of the future like tomorrowland is/was.

I don't think there's anything specifically futuristic about tomorrowland, theme-wise.

Most rides have a "space" theme, which we still relate to future for some reason, but they're not about the future itself, like Horizons was.

Bob Harlem

Hearing this is going to be a launch coaster with a mostly screen based interior section, but with a launched outdoor section behind epcot. Any truth to this?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hearing this is going to be a launch coaster with a mostly screen based interior section, but with a launched outdoor section behind epcot. Any truth to this?

The UoE building will house the queue, some preshows, and the loading/unloading. The track will go through a corridor to another building that will be built behind UoE and the Wonders of Life pavilions. The coaster, whatever type it may be, will be all indoors. That's about as much as can be reliably nailed down at the moment.

Captain Neo

Oh duddeeee...

You shouldn't post opinion as fact. The D23 list is still being fine tuned but you may want to retract a lot of that.

It's childish to think they are "fine tuning" D23 just days before Bob Chapek has to go up on stage and present. What will be discussed at the conference was planned out and locked in months ago, speeches have been rehearsed and whatever special guests or surprises they wanted to have in store have already been set up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's childish to think they are "fine tuning" D23 just days before Bob Chapek has to go up on stage and present. What will be discussed at the conference was planned out and locked in months ago, speeches have been rehearsed and whatever special guests or surprises they wanted to have in store have already been set up.

Changing the presentation up to the last minutes wouldn't surprise me at all. They probably have the whole thing worked out but are still deciding which announcements to leave in and which ones to take out.

Castle Cake Apologist

You're seriously arguing with @marni1971 now?? It's so funny to me how you think that you just know everything, even to the point of going up against incredibly trustworthy people who have nearly flawless track records when it comes to things like this. A great example is from 2014, when you were telling @articos that he was wrong about Star Wars happening at the parks. Articos literally works in this industry, you don't. If I'm not mistaken, he was with WDI at one point even. Amazingly, Star Wars was announced a short time later, as predicted. Although, the best part of that exchange had to have been:
You can say that all you want but I have been around the block with Disney and I know who years from now will be proven right. Hint: It's not going to be you
Hint: It's barely three years later and we can see who was proven right. It wasn't you.

We get it, Disney has burned you in the past, so you're an insider now. Yet, nothing you say seems to ever be correct. Odd.

Last edited:

Karakasa

If Disney's theme park division is anything like "AAA" game publishers (which, hearing about how the heads of the parks acts and their background in sales, wouldn't shock me), they probably are still fine tuning. Especially since it'd be easier to announce attractions with just concept art and pics rather than long pre-rendered trailers.

trainplane3

Changing the presentation up to the last minutes wouldn't surprise me at all. They probably have the whole thing worked out but are still deciding which announcements to leave in and which ones to take out.
I completely agree with this. Wasn't there "supposed" to be some sort of Epcot announcement last year that was dropped just hours before the presentation and it was rolled back to a short interview answer saying "Epcot stuff eventually"?

Captain Neo

No they aren't companies can't work like that. There are speeches prepared, departments to be informed, promotional artwork and marketing materials created to be rolled out . They can't do any significant changes on a whim days before.

Rodan75

No they aren't companies can't work like that. There are speeches prepared, departments to be informed, promotional artwork and marketing materials created to be rolled out . They can't do any significant changes on a whim days before.

I've never seen a preso this big, not see last minute changes. They have a small army hustling to implement last minute changes. If they are 100% locked by Wednesday I would be surprised.

peter11435

Obviously you don't have experience with this sort of thing especially with Disney. This is not uncommon. Changes were made just days before to what was announced at the expos in 2009 and 2015. I have no doubt things are still not finalized.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Having worked for a company the size of Disney, I can totally believe they can work that way. Artwork may be created for some things ahead of time and not used, speeches can easily be changed at the last minute.

yensidtlaw1969

Think of it this way -- they're not announcing to the world something they have no intention of building simply because the presentation was "locked in months ago". Lots of pieces go into the puzzle of such large-scale construction projects, and things change over the course of development.

The presentation will be flexible to the wills of the company, not the other way around. Even if it means making some rushed last minute changes to visuals and speeches.

JoeCamel

This is a presentation to a rabid fanbase not to the BOD. They can and do "wing it" See Bob Iger when asked what the name of DHS was.

Captain Neo

With what is planned how are we supposed to distinguish Future World and Tomorrowland because it seems they are both becoming generic sci-fi lands?

TRON is based on real science. Guardians of the Galaxy is comic book sci-fi fantasy. Big Difference.

Tomorrowland was originally all about futurism and new technology until things changed in the 90s. Epcot is a dumping ground for hot movie IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom