Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoysCabin

True it would, as much as we dont want to see Epcot further diluted but no hope with that at this point Im afraid. I would rather see GotG take over energy that having it ruin tower of terror and making it look like something tacky inside and out that belongs on idrive.

also, are there any previous proposals for energy they could dust off and revisit and maybe retool with some other IP? (since they are adamant that everything must be IP driven)

I totally get where you're coming from and also have zero desire to see Guardians take over ToT, but the reason I swing the other way is because of the possibility that the area behind ToT could at least potentially in the future become a themed Marvel area of some kind; there's an outside chance that the overall theming of the area could be slightly preserved...don't get me wrong, it's a wrong-headed move in almost every conceivable way, but there's at least that possible silver lining.

With EPCOT, I know what you mean when you say maybe it's too far gone at this point, but beyond the whole "this will feel like the final nail in the coffin" fatalism that's hard to fight off feeling, along with the absurdity of how it throws off any pretense of theming EPCOT has anymore, I think the ride will also suffer there in the long run due to sticking out like a sore thumb. For all the very big faults I think Frozen has at EPCOT, it can at least somewhat blend in to World Showcase; this concept really can't blend in, and I think that will hurt its popularity over time as people who want a ride like it would just go to the revamped Studios when they realize that GotG would be the only attraction of its kind in EPCOT.

It's a terrible choice to make, either way, especially when they could just retheme Rock n' Roller Coaster super easily. That said, I'm at least glad to hear there's some hesitation at the moment to go forward with the move, even if it's likely that it'll still happen; any time bought for a new idea to be brought up is a chance for things to be handled more intelligently than this awful "which hostage will you save?!" scenario (I exaggerate for effect).

Cesar R M

That is not really a fair comparison...now if Simba had an actual ride that taught you about conservation with beautiful sets and animatronics, i think it WOULD be as popular as Frozenstrum... but to just put together a film with characters and say , see Edutainment doesn't work, is not really accurate...
I agree with you!

There is a huge difference in a simple video in a small theater vs full fledged attractions that moves and has full sets and animatronics..

Brer Panther

Well....we have Toy Story in both The Magic Kingdom and DHS.....just sayin'
And we have "The Lion King" in both Epcot and Disney's Animal Kingdom (and in the Magic Kingdom for a while).
And we have "Frozen" in both Epcot and the Studios.
And we have "The Little Mermaid" in both the Magic Kingdom and the Studios. Same with "Beauty and the Beast".

Matt_Black

And we have "The Lion King" in both Epcot and Disney's Animal Kingdom (and in the Magic Kingdom for a while).
And we have "Frozen" in both Epcot and the Studios.
And we have "The Little Mermaid" in both the Magic Kingdom and the Studios. Same with "Beauty and the Beast".

Nemo in Epcot and DAK. Ditto for Lion King.

Thanks phoenicians

I'm sure it's been said already but when will energy close if it gets green lit. I'd think Q4 of 2017 after it likely gets announced at D23 next summer but not quite sure.

Bacon

While on the topic of epcot future expansion pads!
4593854.jpg

Biff215

I'm sure it's been said already but when will energy close if it gets green lit. I'd think Q4 of 2017 after it likely gets announced at D23 next summer but not quite sure.
A September closure was mentioned in this thread I believe. Seems doubtful, but clearly things are happening (and changing) quickly.

They can close Energy without a huge effect on the park, unlike GMR at DHS. It's probably just a matter on approving the budget since it sounds largely like a new build. If it happens, it will show just how badly the top brass wants Marvel in the parks. No doubt a Tower overlay would be cheaper and quicker, so I'm hoping it gets going before DCA's opens and it gets forced on DHS. Painful to see Epcot go this direction but at least FW gets some attention this way.

Thanks phoenicians

A September closure was mentioned in this thread I believe. Seems doubtful, but clearly things are happening (and changing) quickly.

They can close Energy without a huge effect on the park, unlike GMR at DHS. It's probably just a matter on approving the budget since it sounds largely like a new build. If it happens, it will show just how badly the top brass wants Marvel in the parks. No doubt a Tower overlay would be cheaper and quicker, so I'm hoping it gets going before DCA's opens and it gets forced on DHS. Painful to see Epcot go this direction but at least FW gets some attention this way.
Agreed, it's sad we've gotten to this point but I'd take GOTG in energy over it in TOT anyday if those are the options. I guess they could close it in September though I really feel like they'll wait til next year as last the insiders said was it has not yet been green lit.

BrianLo

As opposed to what? Closing? That obviously wasn't going to happen, which means it will remain open, which means it has a future.

Don't be obnoxious.

Asking the impossible.

He'll be patting himself on the back for the prediction in a couple years when Epcot is still open.

To be fair to our favourite punching bag JT - I can think of at least one on these forums who is convinced the park will indeed be soon closed and sold for parts... Around the time China steals all of Disney's assets.

I do weirdly get endless satisfaction from watching Marni... "put up" with him though.

Crazydisneyfanluke

While on the topic of epcot future expansion pads!
View attachment 154928
Before note: Some Expansions pads have been used or will never be used.
futureworld-expansion-pads-jpg.26206

ws-empty-plots-jpg.23598

Credit @marni1971
Yep, it`s my composite. And here is the other half. The original 1982 expansion areas of Futureworld. Interestingly, the pad between Motion and Horizons was removed before the park opened. I guess it was deemed too small. Obviously Soarin' takes up one, Life another, and only the 1994 north west addition to Communicore was ever built.

I dare say we`ll never see the major north east expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom