News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Incomudro

I'd argue that Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain are "thrill rides", on the same level of roller coasters to most. My point was, there are plenty of "families" that want thrilling attractions. Saying a ride isn't going to be a success because it doesn't attract ALL guests is an illusion. The wait for the 3..uh I mean 4 "mountains" at Magic Kingdom are still some of the longest in the park.

And increasingly young kids are willing to go on increasingly more intense thrill rides.
One of my sons did ToT when he was only six years old, and I've seen younger kids than that on the ride.
I've see a very wide age range on RnR as well.
Heck, I can't believe how young some of the kids were the last time I rode Kinda Ka at Six Flags.
So, yeah - family friendly might not mean what it used to mean.

montyz81

IMO, “more timeless” in an area like Future World is a bad thing. It sounds like they are tired of updating to stay futuristic, or constantly being criticized for not updating. If they make Future World more timeless, it will be easier and cheaper to maintain, but it won’t be the future (ever evolving).
. They haven't updated FW truly in about 20 years. I think if they were to update incrementally, FW would be much more relevant then it is today.

aladdin2007

. They haven't updated FW truly in about 20 years. I think if they were to update incrementally, FW would be much more relevant then it is today.

True, today they are copping out and are lazy in the approach, and of course money. Park management and the Imagineers of today are not like they once were either, sadly. My only hope is with some of the recent management shifts going on such as Jim Mcphee, (if I spelled his name wrong forgive me) that it will result in some better decisions but not holding my breath.

Fantasmicguy

Like Flight of Passage, Soarin, Test Track, Frozen Ever After, Toy Story Midway Mania, Tower fo Terror, and Splash Mountain. Got it.
7DMT, and Rockin Roller Coaster have way higher wait times than just about everything else in the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios so I don't know why Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain was mentioned. And I'm sure in about 4 years Flight of Passage's wait will lower back down to Everest's level. Also Test Track, Soarin, and Frozen don't have Roller Coasters to compete with yet. Roller Coasters are consistently the most popular attractions in pretty much all theme parks. There's very few exceptions. Does that mean Epcot needs a coaster? Not necessarily but the other poster's point stands. Family's love coasters.

alias8703

Oooo no. Not yet.

Apart from pretty much standard with a little extra.
I'm really struggling to imagine what "unique" ride systems haven't been done.
At Six Flags here in so cal we have coasters where you stand, sit in chairs that can do flips,
tracks that run above and below, coasters where you ride flat like you're flying...

Are we talking unique to the world, or unique to WDW?

Could this possibly be the "drifting coaster"?

mikejs78

Premium Member
7DMT, and Rockin Roller Coaster have way higher wait times than just about everything else in the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios so I don't know why Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain was mentioned. And I'm sure in about 4 years Flight of Passage's wait will lower back down to Everest's level. Also Test Track, Soarin, and Frozen don't have Roller Coasters to compete with yet. Roller Coasters are consistently the most popular attractions in pretty much all theme parks. There's very few exceptions. Does that mean Epcot needs a coaster? Not necessarily but the other poster's point stands. Family's love coasters.

Just looked at MDE just to get a snapshot. R&RC has a 50 min wait. TSMM has a 120 min wait. Yes, coasters are popular, there's no denying that, but they're not the *only* thing that's popular. And in MK, sure 7DMT has a huge wait time of 200 min (!), but Peter Pan's flight (95 min) currently has a higher wait time than BTM (80 min). Over in AK, ignoring FoP, Kilimanjaro Safari currently has a 55 minute wait while Everest has a 35 min wait. Both ToT and Splash Mountain are down at the moment so can't get an accurate comparison. So no, coasters aren't all clearly more popular than non coasters.

Regardless of that, wait time isn't necessarily indicative of actual popularity. Let's say two attractions are equally as popular, and the same number of guests want to ride both those attractions on a given day. Now let's say attraction #1 can handle 1000 guests / hour, and attraction 2 can handle 2000 guests / hour. Attraction #1 will have consistently longer wait times than attraction #2. Does that mean attraction #1 is more popular? No. Just that both are popular and has lower capacity.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'd argue that Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain are "thrill rides", on the same level of roller coasters to most. My point was, there are plenty of "families" that want thrilling attractions. Saying a ride isn't going to be a success because it doesn't attract ALL guests is an illusion. The wait for the 3..uh I mean 4 "mountains" at Magic Kingdom are still some of the longest in the park.
Well, first I was responding to your original statement in which you said coasters were the most popular by a wide margin. You didn't say thrill rides. I'm not denying that coasters are popular, and even thrill rides, but there are other rides that aren't coasters or even thrill rides (Soarin', TSMM, FEA) that are equally as popular as some of the coasters.

Jenny72

Don't coasters often have lower capacity than other rides on average? Certainly lower than omnimover rides, right? I know some of the slower rides also have low capacity (I'm looking at you, Peter Pan), but isn't that really one of the reasons coasters typically have long lines? (Which I believe is the point some above posters are trying to make?) It just gets cited a lot as evidence of their popularity, but is that really accurate?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Not that you are saying this but I think that sometimes as fans we tend to get into the weeds a bit in regards to ride logistics.
For me, I say give me an amazing ride first and logistics second. If its the best ride in the world and the ride flow is not the best, as a fan I’ll deal with it. I’ll wait on line knowing that I’m about to experience an amazing attraction.
I say take your “people eating” attractions and keep them.(that’s the polite version) When ever I here “people eater”, I think great here comes another stock a— boring Omni ride. Disney can stand to have a little more excitement at times.
Woohoo glad I got that off my chest. Haha!
See I think the opposite. I love the thrill rides but Disney has lost many Omni mover rides without replacing them (Horizons, World of Motion, Great Movie Ride just to name a few....). And they haven't really built a new omnimover in a long time.

rle4lunch

Just looked at MDE just to get a snapshot. R&RC has a 50 min wait. TSMM has a 120 min wait. Yes, coasters are popular, there's no denying that, but they're not the *only* thing that's popular. And in MK, sure 7DMT has a huge wait time of 200 min (!), but Peter Pan's flight (95 min) currently has a higher wait time than BTM (80 min). Over in AK, ignoring FoP, Kilimanjaro Safari currently has a 55 minute wait while Everest has a 35 min wait. Both ToT and Splash Mountain are down at the moment so can't get an accurate comparison. So no, coasters aren't all clearly more popular than non coasters.

Regardless of that, wait time isn't necessarily indicative of actual popularity. Let's say two attractions are equally as popular, and the same number of guests want to ride both those attractions on a given day. Now let's say attraction #1 can handle 1000 guests / hour, and attraction 2 can handle 2000 guests / hour. Attraction #1 will have consistently longer wait times than attraction #2. Does that mean attraction #1 is more popular? No. Just that both are popular and has lower capacity.

I think you Peter Pan reference shows the glaring weakness of mk's fantasyland in the fact that it doesn't have nearly enough attractions for the target audience (compared to DL fantasyland).

Disneyhead'71

The argument on whether a coaster belongs at Epcot is really up to personal taste. I tend to think every park should have at least one thrilling coaster. The real argument has always been do the Guardians belong in Epcot?....No
I think most would agree that the Mt. Fuji bobsleds would have been a welcome addition, but a thematic misfit combined with it being Epcot's first traditional "thrill" ride is hard for some to take.

At this point I just don't even care anymore. Eh, whatever, just hurry up. Jeez!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
At this point I just don't even care anymore. Eh, whatever, just hurry up. Jeez!

Agreed. Layered theme and cohesion will be sacrificed so the "Veruca Salt" Disney fans can be pacified.

epcotmeme.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom