News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MickeyMouse10

If the ride is that good, it will retain it's fun and can standalone. One of Uni's best rides is The Mummy, and those movies were pretty crappy.

I agree and disagree.

It's true that a bad or unrelevant movie cannot totally bring down a ride, look at Tron. The sequel was horrible and Disney still made a decent rollercoaster out of it.

But it does make it less marketable when it comes to merchandise in 20+ years. Live Action films usually lose their luster unless they are among the lucky few. That's why I usually say go with an animated film, the classics always are in style. They are still making rides for animated films from the 1930's.

aliceismad

I agree and disagree.

It's true that a bad or unrelevant movie cannot totally bring down a ride, look at Tron. The sequel was horrible and Disney still made a decent rollercoaster out of it.

But it does make it less marketable when it comes to merchandise in 20+ years. Live Action films usually lose their luster unless they are among the lucky few. That's why I usually say go with an animated film, the classics always are in style. They are still making rides for animated films from the 1930's.
In 20+ years, Tron (the original) is still an iconic sci fi film. For GotG, I don't doubt that they would've opted for a more well-known Marvel franchise were it allowed in WDW. The music at least gives it a nostalgic/timeless feel, and I hope they incorporate it in the ride.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Let's not kid ourselves here. GOTG is getting a rollercoaster because its one of the only Marvel Superhero properties they can actually legally use. I doubt it would have been anyone's first choice under different circumstances.

And yet it was the first choice they used in DCA 🧐 maybe only because they planned to replace both Tower of Terror rides? I don't know. After having been on DCA's Mission: Breakout, they would definitely have had to design things differently for implementing here if they wanted to (yes, it's obvious, but I didn't really think about it until I rode it)

aliceismad

And yet it was the first choice they used in DCA 🧐 maybe only because they planned to replace both Tower of Terror rides? I don't know. After having been on DCA's Mission: Breakout, they would definitely have had to design things differently for implementing here if they wanted to (yes, it's obvious, but I didn't really think about it until I rode it)
Right? I realize they're getting other MCU characters as well in DCA, but Disney must have some faith in GotG. Otherwise, why not Spidey screen ride, Avengers coaster, and refurb ToT to X-Men, or even a standalone Avenger character like Thor or Iron Man?

MickeyMouse10

In 20+ years, Tron (the original) is still an iconic sci fi film. For GotG, I don't doubt that they would've opted for a more well-known Marvel franchise were it allowed in WDW. The music at least gives it a nostalgic/timeless feel, and I hope they incorporate it in the ride.

That maybe true about Tron, but each time I look at the Tron cycles I don't think of the first one. I just think of the sequel that the vehicles are actually based on.

Plus they aren't exactly selling Jeff Bridges t-shirts either though.

Mac Tonight

Well, remember, MB is just part one of a full Marvel Land at DCA. That was basically a 6-month refurb/permanent overlay that just so happened to coincide with the opening of Vol 2 in theatres. I've often said that if they were going to build a from-scratch GOTG attraction at DCA, it would NOT resemble a tower drop ride.

RSoxNo1

I think many people would've been happy with a GotG overlay for RNRC IF Epcot was still getting a new headlining ride as well.
The move for me was Guardians overlay on RNRC and connecting that courtyard to the Animation Courtyard as part of a new land. Then, when Space Mountain was ready for it's track replacement (5 years ago) put that in Epcot.

DreamfinderGuy

I'm not gonna lie, I think Guardians deserves a ride, and a coaster sounds awesome. I think it sucks that it's going into Epcot, but I have hope that it'll at least be good even though it's not gonna fit. My worries are that it won't be good though. Look at Frozen, amazing IP, terrible ride. It's not even that it doesn't fit, it's just that it's an awful attraction imo. Would've much rather seen this at Studios, but what can you do? Being that this is a fresh build, I hope they prove everyone wrong and this becomes another great attraction. However, I can pass on trying to shoehorn it into Epcot's theme. It doesn't fit whatsoever, and trying to make it fit would probably just be more insulting than letting it stand on it's own (Looking at you, "Peter Quill went to Epcot as a kid")

Mac Tonight

I'm not gonna lie, I think Guardians deserves a ride, and a coaster sounds awesome. I think it sucks that it's going into Epcot, but I have hope that it'll at least be good even though it's not gonna fit. My worries are that it won't be good though. Look at Frozen, amazing IP, terrible ride. It's not even that it doesn't fit, it's just that it's an awful attraction imo. Would've much rather seen this at Studios, but what can you do? Being that this is a fresh build, I hope they prove everyone wrong and this becomes another great attraction. However, I can pass on trying to shoehorn it into Epcot's theme. It doesn't fit whatsoever, and trying to make it fit would probably just be more insulting than letting it stand on it's own (Looking at you, "Peter Quill went to Epcot as a kid")
I don't think I've groaned harder in my entire life than I did when they revealed that little bit of made up "trivia". The fact that they'd even consider using that as a justification just proves that, deep down, even they know this doesn't belong in Epcot. Otherwise, it's placement would speak for itself.

aliceismad

The move for me was Guardians overlay on RNRC and connecting that courtyard to the Animation Courtyard as part of a new land. Then, when Space Mountain was ready for it's track replacement (5 years ago) put that in Epcot.
Are you really saying move Space Mountain to Epcot? I'm not really a purist or anything but the idea of moving one of the core mountains out of MK makes me sad.

Incomudro

Tron's iconic?

Kman101

With Disney's track record of cheap half-assed overlays? I think not.

At least Guardians would still have a coaster and wouldn't have gone into Epcot ... and one would hope they would of budgeted it properly ... but it's neither here nor there, they aren't and Epcot is getting Guardians no matter how hard they have to "fit" it in ... but with the coasters having similar gravity buildings and a separate queue/load building, let's not pretend they couldn't have just as easily put Guardians there. Instead of spending all of this dough on Energy and then still eventually re-theming RnRc (people seem to want to ignore it but it is eventually going to be re-themed ...)

RSoxNo1

Are you really saying move Space Mountain to Epcot? I'm not really a purist or anything but the idea of moving one of the core mountains out of MK makes me sad.
You realize I'm not in charge, right?

An idea I've had for Future World would be revitalizing the future colonies concept. Think of the Space Mountain post show - it's a continuation of the final scene of Horizons. Picture a brand new Space Mountain where the destination is Brava Centauri, a new ride replacing Nemo in the Seas that's a trip to the Sea Castle Resort, and then a third concept (perhaps a modified Living with the Land) that's a trip to Mesa Verde.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom