News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

BrianLo

Not forgetting my pet love that greets you even before the monorail station. The construction site grade lighting tower for the tram crossing.

But the parks gone to pot now so why should I care anymore.

By the way, the entrance (or at least the tombstones) are still slated for a redo? Or has that been sidelined.

trainplane3

AFAIK it’s still happening.
2 years after we heard the first actual confirmation from Disney Epcot's getting a overhaul and we have...nothing happening. Should we place bets that we get another piece of blue sky art at D23 next year?

Alright, I guess there's that supposed "permanent" security checkpoint going in right at the entrance. But that's still nothing.

mergatroid

It's all subjective really isn't it? I remember as a kid in the 70's hearing some guy on the monorail complaining as we passed the Contemporary and Space Mountain that you could see the backstage area of Tomorrowland and he was right. Cars parked up and boxes in sight less than a few hundred feet from the monorail station. I guess I'd never really noticed that till then but it got me looking for more things you could see.

From Astro Orbiter the not so pleasant show building roofs and backstage of Tomorrowland again. From the Skyway I could see the tracks of 20,000 leagues along with the huge show building it entered, killing any ideas of really going in the sea. Next all the not so nice show buildings in Fantasyland including It's a Small World right next to the green box that was The Haunted Mansion.

From the steam train I was able to see the Adventureland service road and buildings and then from the monorail back you could easily see the water pageant barges without any attempt to hide them as they were just there in open view next to more warehouse buildings. It didn't bother me as I found it rather interesting but then again the idea that everything was hidden no matter the cost really wasn't true back then either.

Now this isn't an excuse for Disney to just plonk whatever they want anywhere, we still should expect some thought and landscaping to go into any structure. I'm also not against anyone giving their opinion on here as that ultimately is the reason for having a discussion board. I'll admit that with the money that Disney make you would think that they could afford to theme all ride buildings just like they did with Pandora and are doing with Galaxy's Edge. I will however wait until it's finished before judging it, only then will I know how well it does or doesn't fit in. If it's a mess then I'll say it's a mess, why would I lie?

The Soarin building has really never bothered me since it was built. Everyone's different though and some still insist it ruins their trip seeing it peaking up behind Journey. I guess that's true for them unfortunately, as for me it's a sacrifice to make for an enjoyable attraction at Epcot. Even if GOTG is a fantastic ride, some will hate the show building and have their vacation ruined, that's sad. Some would hate it if Disney spent an extra $100 million decorating it to look like a futuristic dome though, you cannot please everyone all the time.

I remember the idea of Pandora being absolutely hated on here by many and many changed their minds on completion, let's hope that's the same for GOTG. When it's complete if I hate it then I'll say I hate it, I am however hoping that it's not as bad as many are predicting. Some people may value the view from different angles greatly, some may not worry too much about that if the attraction is a worthwhile addition. We can only speak for ourselves but it's a shame that so many on here are totally unhappy about it whilst those who aren't are also entitled to their opinion.

yensidtlaw1969

It's all subjective really isn't it? I remember as a kid in the 70's hearing some guy on the monorail complaining as we passed the Contemporary and Space Mountain that you could see the backstage area of Tomorrowland and he was right. Cars parked up and boxes in sight less than a few hundred feet from the monorail station. I guess I'd never really noticed that till then but it got me looking for more things you could see.

From Astro Orbiter the not so pleasant show building roofs and backstage of Tomorrowland again. From the Skyway I could see the tracks of 20,000 leagues along with the huge show building it entered, killing any ideas of really going in the sea. Next all the not so nice show buildings in Fantasyland including It's a Small World right next to the green box that was The Haunted Mansion.

From the steam train I was able to see the Adventureland service road and buildings and then from the monorail back you could easily see the water pageant barges without any attempt to hide them as they were just there in open view next to more warehouse buildings. It didn't bother me as I found it rather interesting but then again the idea that everything was hidden no matter the cost really wasn't true back then either.

Now this isn't an excuse for Disney to just plonk whatever they want anywhere, we still should expect some thought and landscaping to go into any structure. I'm also not against anyone giving their opinion on here as that ultimately is the reason for having a discussion board. I'll admit that with the money that Disney make you would think that they could afford to theme all ride buildings just like they did with Pandora and are doing with Galaxy's Edge. I will however wait until it's finished before judging it, only then will I know how well it does or doesn't fit in. If it's a mess then I'll say it's a mess, why would I lie?

The Soarin building has really never bothered me since it was built. Everyone's different though and some still insist it ruins their trip seeing it peaking up behind Journey. I guess that's true for them unfortunately, as for me it's a sacrifice to make for an enjoyable attraction at Epcot. Even if GOTG is a fantastic ride, some will hate the show building and have their vacation ruined, that's sad. Some would hate it if Disney spent an extra $100 million decorating it to look like a futuristic dome though, you cannot please everyone all the time.

I remember the idea of Pandora being absolutely hated on here by many and many changed their minds on completion, let's hope that's the same for GOTG. When it's complete if I hate it then I'll say I hate it, I am however hoping that it's not as bad as many are predicting. Some people may value the view from different angles greatly, some may not worry too much about that if the attraction is a worthwhile addition. We can only speak for ourselves but it's a shame that so many on here are totally unhappy about it whilst those who aren't are also entitled to their opinion.

I have never in my life seen someone claim that a visible showbuilding "ruined" their vacation.

What bothers people is seeing the Disney company lower its standards instead of raise them when their financial ability has never been greater and when trips have never cost more. 1980's WDC would never have plopped down a giant box building like they are doing now with Guardians -- as evidenced by the beautiful, designed-in-the-round buildings they actually did produce.

I'm not cancelling my trip over this. But I am noticing. If Disney wants to keep charging more and trying less that will eventually catch up with them.

WDW's Star Wars Land, it seems, will suffer instances like this to a much, much lesser degree than Guardians, Soarin', and Pandora. Seems like they know how to avoid these issues when they want to.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If the views from the parking lot destroy illusions from later experiences then it is a problem. And weather it’s a parking lot or in park it should still be properly maintained and cared for. My local Walmart takes better care of their parking lot and it’s landscaping then any of the current WDW parks lots.
I suggest then, to all who will find views of the park exterior illusion-destroying, they wear opaque eye shades if they approach Disneyland resort from any direction.

MuteSuperstar

I have never in my life seen someone claim that a visible showbuilding "ruined" their vacation.

What bothers people is seeing the Disney company lower its standards instead of raise them when their financial ability has never been greater and when trips have never cost more. 1980's WDC would never have plopped down a giant box building like they are doing now with Guardians -- as evidenced by the beautiful, designed-in-the-round buildings they actually did produce.

Thank you, you articulated this better than I could have. But as I've said elsewhere, the majority of the modern phone-zombie crowds are less and less discerning about this stuff, and the company is now all too happy and relieved to be able pander to the lowest common denominator, so the standards are getting lower. It no longer bothers enough people, so here we are. Once the majority of the audience stops caring about aesthetics and theme and "show", it's a perfect storm, game over. And that situation is never going to get better. You could probably stick Flo from Progressive in the preshow now and most people would guffaw with delight between stares at their sacred phones.

I'm not cancelling my trip over this. But I am noticing. If Disney wants to keep charging more and trying less that will eventually catch up with them.

I honestly don't think it will. I think we've passed that point. A lot of people seem almost eager to pay more for less and wait in ever-longer lines for ever-shorter "experiences". I suppose the endless ripoffs and rackets they face daily with nearly every large business entity these days has conditioned them well for Disney's increasing drift to that mentality.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Perhaps the problem is that we're working with different definitions of "show". If I may use a theatrical analogy, the show for me begins when the curtain goes up, the music starts, and the audience quietens--in other words, as I'm entering the parks. Yes, I expect the theatre to be clean and presentable, but it's what happens onstage that truly matters and constitutes the story I've paid to experience.

Monorail_Red_77

Here are some monorail vantage pics of guardians buildings. Taken Saturday 11/10. Notice a delivery tractor trailer in the first pic.

8A1D66F1-182B-448C-B0BC-C0AA576C3F0C.jpeg

Ladders are still on scene. Watch out!!
82F328B4-A02A-44C1-88CB-4AD97B931F6A.jpeg
BBA916FA-3948-4B52-9A1E-BC6A42D8298C.jpeg
240067B2-98B8-44B8-B906-982A5B8A2BC9.jpeg
AE003815-BE60-40AF-A463-963DD0DDF1A7.jpeg
714C9EBB-AEBE-4CDD-8E6A-CC48AB26BA33.jpeg

spacemt354

Chili's

WDW's Star Wars Land, it seems, will suffer instances like this to a much, much lesser degree than Guardians, Soarin', and Pandora. Seems like they know how to avoid these issues when they want to.
e97af70d46a36362e753a2ea1a5cd464.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom