"Grown Up" Trip!

Klorhy

So we're flying out in just under 6 weeks and we're starting to put the final touches into play for our itinerary.
There will be 4 of us, my parents, me (21) and long term best friend (22). It will be my 6th trip to Orlando, my parents 7th and my friends 1st (!!!). My parents will do their own thing, and we will do ours - so my first trip really planning what I'm doing so very exciting! We weren't going to do Disney but I haven't been to Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios since I was much younger and I can't let my friend go to Orlando first time without Disney but we're only going to do 2 days (do not want to overwhelm ourselves, busy holiday)

The photo is a rough plan of our itinerary (Me and my friends, anyway!)

10379062_10154223853710307_1064691257_n.jpg

Any recommendations for things not to miss at Disney for our age? I haven't been since about 2005, more than likely. We did Animal Kingdom and Epcot in 2012 but it was just me and the parents so not the same ;)

Also, not WDW but - Daytona, is there anything to do? I'm not really into sitting on a beach all day, and considering not going and doing another Universal day (Not visited WWoHP yet, and Diagon Alley will be open, thinking 2 days will be needed!)

cw1982

Can you possibly add one more day at the parks? I only ask because, even at your age, there's a lot to do at MK and Epcot. DH and I went recently and could have spent two whole days at Epcot because he was so enthralled with World Showcase. Besides, if you split a day between those two parks, you have to choose between Illuminations and Wishes (unless you plan to leave Illuminations right before the finale to hit a monorail and make it to MK just in time for Wishes, which means you'll have a less ideal view at MK, if you make it on time at all), and both are awesome. AK and HS, at your ages, can easily be a half day each if you're mainly focusing on rides, but Epcot I couldn't see only having a half day at MK and getting everything in.

Having said all that, here's my suggestions:

AK
Killimanjaro Safari
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Flights of Wonder show

HS
Rockin' Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
The Great Movie Ride
Star Tours
Indiana Jones Stunt Show
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Fantasmic (if they are doing two shows, get a FP for the second one after you use FP for your other favorites. That way you don't have to wait an hour for seats!)

Epcot
Soarin'
Test Track
Mission Space
Spaceship Earth
Nemo (the ride is hoaky IMO, but the aquarium is cool)
World Showcase
Illuminations

Magic Kingdom
7DMT
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Peter Pan
Wishes

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
Can you possibly add one more day at the parks? I only ask because, even at your age, there's a lot to do at MK and Epcot. DH and I went recently and could have spent two whole days at Epcot because he was so enthralled with World Showcase. Besides, if you split a day between those two parks, you have to choose between Illuminations and Wishes (unless you plan to leave Illuminations right before the finale to hit a monorail and make it to MK just in time for Wishes, which means you'll have a less ideal view at MK, if you make it on time at all), and both are awesome. AK and HS, at your ages, can easily be a half day each if you're mainly focusing on rides, but Epcot I couldn't see only having a half day at MK and getting everything in.

Having said all that, here's my suggestions:

AK
Killimanjaro Safari
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Flights of Wonder show

HS
Rockin' Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
The Great Movie Ride
Star Tours
Indiana Jones Stunt Show
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Fantasmic (if they are doing two shows, get a FP for the second one after you use FP for your other favorites. That way you don't have to wait an hour for seats!)

Epcot
Soarin'
Test Track
Mission Space
Spaceship Earth
Nemo (the ride is hoaky IMO, but the aquarium is cool)
World Showcase
Illuminations

Magic Kingdom
7DMT
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Peter Pan
Wishes

I have to agree with @cw1982 's suggestions. There is SO much to do at Disney at your age (if memory serves LOL). In two days, you can cover alot of basics, and what you don't get to experience, you can always plan for your next trip! Welcome to WDWMAGIC!!! :)

Thankyou for the suggestions! I think 2 days is all we can manage, both physically and financially, really, but I have heard that you can upgrade your passes at gate to add another date for the same price? Not sure how true this is, we're just purchasing a 2 day park hopper (My wages aren't great due to lack of hours so don't really want to fork out another £50 ahead of the trip for another day if we don't need it, but wouldn't mind paying it when there). We will definitely stay for the entire opening times of the parks, so would hope to get a lot done.
And yes, anything we don't do, next time - Already trying to find someone to take with me next year during a cheaper time for flights (have to go in school holidays this time due to my parents jobs, boo!)
I'm not too into roller-coasters anymore.. after an incident on The Incredible Hulk where I passed out, I'm a bit scared of going on things that are too intense or intact a 'launch' coaster (after a similar incident on Rita at Alton Towers). And you'll never get me on a log flume! I just want an experience, I think, more than a thrill!

Still trying to get my head around the new fast-pass too, not that I even remember the old fast pass as I was too young last time we used it ha ha!

Annnnd thankyou for the welcome :D

Upvote 0

cw1982

Yep. You can upgrade your ticket later.

I'll say this much. Disney coasters are not anything like the Hulk. There are no huge dips that leave you feeling like you're losing your stomach. I hate those, but Disney coasters I can more than handle, especially the ones at MK. RnRC and space are a little scarier only because they are indoors, but again no big drops or anything.

If you're more about experiences, might add The Little Mermaid at MK as well as it's a small world. Both are a bit kiddie, but super cute.

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
Yep. You can upgrade your ticket later.

I'll say this much. Disney coasters are not anything like the Hulk. There are no huge dips that leave you feeling like you're losing your stomach. I hate those, but Disney coasters I can more than handle, especially the ones at MK. RnRC and space are a little scarier only because they are indoors, but again no big drops or anything.

If you're more about experiences, might add The Little Mermaid at MK as well as it's a small world. Both are a bit kiddie, but super cute.

That is great - I will definitely consider going to the parks again whilst there, an extra £50-60 won't feel much on holiday but right now I'd rather not spend it!
I don't mind the dips as such, it's the speed it originally launches at.. If a ride went fast or had dips, I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't launch too fast initially. It's definitely good to hear that the Disney rides aren't as intense, I didn't expect them to be but you always hear someone's horror stories.

Little Mermaid sounds great, not sure if I can cope with Its a Small World music again though! I definitely have to do Nemo as that has been my favourite Disney-Pixar film since it's release!

Upvote 0

cw1982

RnRC is really the only one with a fast launch speed but it's nothing like the Hulk. You can always watch ride through videos on YouTube if that helps ;)

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
RnRC is really the only one with a fast launch speed but it's nothing like the Hulk. You can always watch ride through videos on YouTube if that helps ;)

Ah yeah I'll definitely be doing that, now I've got pretty much everything bought and planned out, the next 6 weeks will just be reading people's trip reviews, looking at photos and videos ha!

Upvote 0

cw1982

Ah yeah I'll definitely be doing that, now I've got pretty much everything bought and planned out, the next 6 weeks will just be reading people's trip reviews, looking at photos and videos ha!

I just thought maybe you'd be able to handle some of those rides better if you have a better idea of what to expect. I know, personally, I would have never ridden Splash Mountain on my last trip (because of that last drop) if I hadn't watched the ride along videos first so that I could see what all I would have been missing. I'm not trying to sway you to ride anything you're not comfortable with, but I know I would have missed out on a lot on my last trip if I had let my inclinations get in the way... I ended up riding Splash 4 times! :)

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
I just thought maybe you'd be able to handle some of those rides better if you have a better idea of what to expect. I know, personally, I would have never ridden Splash Mountain on my last trip (because of that last drop) if I hadn't watched the ride along videos first so that I could see what all I would have been missing. I'm not trying to sway you to ride anything you're not comfortable with, but I know I would have missed out on a lot on my last trip if I had let my inclinations get in the way... I ended up riding Splash 4 times! :)

I know exactly where you're coming from with that one - I'm always unsure of things that are inside because you can't see what goes on as such, but it does help watching them online.. I was terrified of going on Duel at Alton Towers (I was about 15 at the time!) until I saw a video showing it wasn't actually scary, just a bit dark.
I'm not chickening out of anything this time (except Hulk and Cheetah Hunt but I have good reasons for that ha) I refuse to miss out this trip.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

I do NOT do roller coasters LOL, but there us SO much more to do.. Again, my best suggestion, peruse this website, check youtube on member's suggestions. SO much to do, and experience on the down low (I am such a nerd LOL) I even do Its A Small World every trip. Whatever works for you, is awesome... plan to return and experience new rides :) It's all good :)

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
I do NOT do roller coasters LOL, but there us SO much more to do.. Again, my best suggestion, peruse this website, check youtube on member's suggestions. SO much to do, and experience on the down low (I am such a nerd LOL) I even do Its A Small World every trip. Whatever works for you, is awesome... plan to return and experience new rides :) It's all good :)

Haha will definitely be returning, already trying to plan something and we've not even set off lol! This trip is really broad (as you can tell!) as we're just trying to fit as much as possible into 2 weeks for my friend to see a bit of everything.. but we also want to enjoy the villa as it's on a lovely resort and looks lush!
I'm loving reading other people's trip reports so I'm sure I'll get some ideas in the next few weeks of a more certain plan (Already found a few must-do restaurants from them, haha, food food food.. that may be the theme of this years trip)

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Haha will definitely be returning, already trying to plan something and we've not even set off lol! This trip is really broad (as you can tell!) as we're just trying to fit as much as possible into 2 weeks for my friend to see a bit of everything.. but we also want to enjoy the villa as it's on a lovely resort and looks lush!
I'm loving reading other people's trip reports so I'm sure I'll get some ideas in the next few weeks of a more certain plan (Already found a few must-do restaurants from them, haha, food food food.. that may be the theme of this years trip)
The planning stage is alot of fun, and there is ALOT of information you can gather here on WDWMAGIC. :)

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
The planning stage is alot of fun, and there is ALOT of information you can gather here on WDWMAGIC. :)

I find it so much fun! I've had "friends" (pfft more like nosey Facebook users) complain at me for being "too prepared" - can never be too prepared! I feel I'm pretty much planned but.. I still want more plans.
I feel I'll fit in here with the preparations, I'm feeling tracking planes 6 weeks before is a bit extreme but I find myself doing it anyway..

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think you will find trying to do Epcot & Magic Kingdom in one day wayyyy too overwhelming.
Also checking calendars both the 7th & 9th are extra magic hour magic kingdom days for on-site guest so the parks will be more crowded.
If you could, you might find switching you Aug 6th & Aug 7th days improve your park experience.
I would also suggest doing
Wednesday or Thursday:
Hollywood Studios (opens at 9am, you could see easily breeze through HS in about 4 hours w/o fastpasses, hit TSMM first) followed by Magic Kingdom (open til midnight, no emh)
Saturday:
Animal Kingdom (opens at 9am, could be done in 4 hours and w/o fast passes) followed by Epcot (open til 9pm, definitely use fast pass+ here and you should be successful in seeing Epcot. Epcot handles weekend crowds better than any park.)

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
I think you will find trying to do Epcot & Magic Kingdom in one day wayyyy too overwhelming.
Also checking calendars both the 7th & 9th are extra magic hour magic kingdom days for on-site guest so the parks will be more crowded.
If you could, you might find switching you Aug 6th & Aug 7th days improve your park experience.
I would also suggest doing
Wednesday or Thursday:
Hollywood Studios (opens at 9am, you could see easily breeze through HS in about 4 hours w/o fastpasses, hit TSMM first) followed by Magic Kingdom (open til midnight, no emh)
Saturday:
Animal Kingdom (opens at 9am, could be done in 4 hours and w/o fast passes) followed by Epcot (open til 9pm, definitely use fast pass+ here and you should be successful in seeing Epcot. Epcot handles weekend crowds better than any park.)

Thanks for this, I will definitely consider it - we won't be moving Wednesday's plans though unfortunately as we want to have full days at Disney and we are definitely going to Outback as they have an offer on a Wednesday and that's the only day we can get to it due to our flights! But I will definitely look more into swapping the Disney parks around - parks in the days aren't necessarily the parks we will definitely go to, was just writing down for a quick plan - so I will consider changing them but is it still as simple to transport from Epcot/Animal Kingdom as it is from Epcot/Magic? I've never used Disney transport before for doing different parks in different days.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Thanks for this, I will definitely consider it - we won't be moving Wednesday's plans though unfortunately as we want to have full days at Disney and we are definitely going to Outback as they have an offer on a Wednesday and that's the only day we can get to it due to our flights! But I will definitely look more into swapping the Disney parks around - parks in the days aren't necessarily the parks we will definitely go to, was just writing down for a quick plan - so I will consider changing them but is it still as simple to transport from Epcot/Animal Kingdom as it is from Epcot/Magic? I've never used Disney transport before for doing different parks in different days.
it is now. They run buses between each park now. If you have a car, the drive between Epcot & Animal Kingdom is only about 10 minutes.
I promise you that you will find it easier to combine Hollywood Studios with Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom with Epcot.. crowds are predicted to be 8/10 that week.. so avoid Extra magic hours... they really cause crowds to sky rocket.
Even if you go to Magic Kingdom on Thursday, you will find the crowds much more manageable than going to MK on a Saturday (brings in locals) & it has emh til 1am (brings in on-site guest)

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Klorhy

Original Poster
it is now. They run buses between each park now. If you have a car, the drive between Epcot & Animal Kingdom is only about 10 minutes.
I promise you that you will find it easier to combine Hollywood Studios with Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom with Epcot.. crowds are predicted to be 8/10 that week.. so avoid Extra magic hours... they really cause crowds to sky rocket.
Even if you go to Magic Kingdom on Thursday, you will find the crowds much more manageable than going to MK on a Saturday (brings in locals) & it has emh til 1am (brings in on-site guest)

Good Luck!

No we don't have a car, so will be using the buses, but is good to know they run between all of the parks. I was a bit worried with it being on a weekend to be honest, may re-look over the plan see if we can swap about a bit. I expect it to be busy with it being the beginning of the English school holidays too.
Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom