Grocery Stores near WDW

IheartWDW

:wave:Good Morning,

Im heading "home" in January and had a question. I was wondering if anyone knew where the closest grocery store is off property that I can get to via cab from the Wilderness Lodge. And if possible if anyone knew an estimated price for the cab ride its self. I don't need to go to any place special. I just would need to pickup the basics like eggs, milk, and snacks that I can't bring on the plane.

Thanks in advance for all your help and answers!!

Nicole

tractorm3

Well I cant say exactly where the stores are but the cab ride was about $50-$60 round trip if you have the cab wait for you. I dont know If you can even dismiss the cab and call when you need a ride back. we had three people go and each had a small list and they lagit ran through the store as quickley as possible

Upvote 0

DBF John

There is a 'Goodings' shopping plaza at Crossrodes, it is at the intersection of SR 535 and Hotel Plaza Blvd. No idea what cab fare would be, but the round trip should only be about 15 miles if you want to guess at what the going rate might be.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

The above mentioned stores are good. *Bad pun alert* May I add some food for thought? If the cab fare truly does amount to a ridiculous amount of money, why not get more bang for the buck and rent a car for one day? Run all of your errands on one day and take the car for a sight-seeing spin at night. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

raven

There is a 'Goodings' shopping plaza at Crossrodes, it is at the intersection of SR 535 and Hotel Plaza Blvd. No idea what cab fare would be, but the round trip should only be about 15 miles if you want to guess at what the going rate might be.

:eek: I'd say it's a round trip of 5 miles.

Upvote 0

DBF John

This is the shortest of the three routes, the others were 8.9 and 9.0 miles.
WDW-Crossroads.jpg

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

To spend $60 bucks on a cab, would that not offset the higher price that the store at the resort charges for such things. Not including the time wasted.

Also is it just a DVC thing that we have a grocery list that we can fill out and have groceries delivered?

Upvote 0

Whimsy

Or...if you really wanted to get to Goodings on the cheap, you could ride the bus from Wilderness Lodge to Downtown Disney (since the ex-Pleasure Island side is extremely close to it) and just walk to Goodings. From Downtown Disney all you would have to do is walk through the Non-Disney-Hotels street and cross the road to get to Crossroads. I've seen people walk back and forth to go shopping at Crossroads. Another thought would be to just go to one of the Hess's on Disney Property. They carry ALOT of grocery store items and their relatively cheap compared to the snacks sold at Disney.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

Your best and easiest bet is to order your groceries online and have them delivered to your room. There was a thread on here a while back that talked about the different companies that do this. I'm sure when you compare the delivery cost and tip to the cab fare and tip- the delivery will win.

Upvote 0

IheartWDW

Original Poster
Or...if you really wanted to get to Goodings on the cheap, you could ride the bus from Wilderness Lodge to Downtown Disney (since the ex-Pleasure Island side is extremely close to it) and just walk to Goodings. From Downtown Disney all you would have to do is walk through the Non-Disney-Hotels street and cross the road to get to Crossroads. I've seen people walk back and forth to go shopping at Crossroads. Another thought would be to just go to one of the Hess's on Disney Property. They carry ALOT of grocery store items and their relatively cheap compared to the snacks sold at Disney.

See thats what I thought that I could do. I remember a long time ago my family and I stayed a the Best Western in DD and I rememebr walking over to the cross roads shopping center. I remebered eating at Fridays and my dad shopping at foot locker (i think) but I couldn't remember what other stores there were...

We never drive so I really and unfortunately have like zero sense of where anything is other then the Disney parks/hotels... Do you know where there is a Hess near WL?

Upvote 0

IheartWDW

Original Poster
Your best and easiest bet is to order your groceries online and have them delivered to your room. There was a thread on here a while back that talked about the different companies that do this. I'm sure when you compare the delivery cost and tip to the cab fare and tip- the delivery will win.

Really... that might be the easiet way... Do you know what the thread was called by any chance?

Upvote 0

IheartWDW

Original Poster
To spend $60 bucks on a cab, would that not offset the higher price that the store at the resort charges for such things. Not including the time wasted.

Also is it just a DVC thing that we have a grocery list that we can fill out and have groceries delivered?

I have ordered the DVC gorcery list and I never had any problems, but cost and variety is where it hurts us. Thats why this year we are looking for alternate ways of getting groceries...

Thank you and everyone else for your responses.. This is extememly helpful and very appreciated...

Upvote 0

DBF John

We never drive so I really and unfortunately have like zero sense of where anything is other then the Disney parks/hotels... Do you know where there is a Hess near WL?

There are 2 Hess on property 1 is at the drive way into Boardwalk, 2 is across from Parking-2 for DTD.
But an idea I just got for you, would be to take the buss from the resort to DTD, then cab over to Crossroads, this would only be about 2.5 miles roundtrip fare and little walking, hiking back to DTD from Crossroads with grocerys for a mile+ maynot be fun.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

^^^ What they said. :animwink:

Don't waste time and money when you start your vacation by running errands. Have everything ordered and delivered ahead of time so that you get there and it's already sitting there ready for you. :wave:

Upvote 0

Whimsy

There are actually three Hess on Disney property, the two already mentioned - the one right across Boardwalk (possibly take a bus to Boardwalk, walk like 5 minutes to Hess right across the entrance) and the one by Downtown Disney across where the Pleasure Island sign was (also bus-able). The third and largest one is actually in the Magic Kingdom area. It's past the drive-up entrance and is literally right around there. This also may be bus-able if you were to go to the Ticket and Transportation Center, and you might be able to walk to the Hess by foot. This Hess actually has basically what is a food court area, and a large (in terms of convenient stores) grocery area.

Upvote 0

MR. DISNEY

If money for a cab is a concern then DON'T GO TO GOODINGS. the prices are crazy high. I always have a car, and I go to the Publix. We spend around $50.00 to $60.00 at Publix and the one time I went to Goodings it was like $25.00 more. When I was at the desk for the Valet they told me to go to Goodings and they even had printed directions. If you just need odds and ends go to the Hess by DTD. If you need a full shopping I know the closest Publix is 1.3 miles from POP. A cab can't be that much from WL. 10 min. at most

Upvote 0

CatsMeow

We used Garden Grocer on our last trip and are now hooked. We ordered pretty basic stuff - milk, cereal, eggs, a case of water, some snacks, etc. - and it was delivered when we requested. They are not as cheap as shopping at home - not that home is exactly 'cheap'! :brick: - but much less expensive than buying on WDW property. The website is easy to use and you can schedule your preferred time of delivery and pay the tab in advance or COD. They will call you on your cell when they are about to deliver, too. We were very happy with the service. When I saw how much WDW stores charge for a 2-liter bottle of Coke, I decided to get real about finding alternatives. I love WDW, but the price of convenience gets a little too crazy for me. :rolleyes:

Goodings is probably the closest store, but is no bargain. We found them to be pretty expensive. There is a Wal-Mart nearby and a Walgreen's drugstore (they may have basic items;not sure). Publix is excellent and just a little farther down the road.

We normally do not rent a car either and I used to bring some foodstuffs with us. I still do bring a jar of peanut butter and some rice cakes - light stuff, basically - but the weight limits preclude doing much beyond that.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Gooding's delivers, but with a 50 dollar minimum, plus a 25 dollar handling charge.

gardengrocer.com only charges 12 dollars for delivery, and it's free if you order at least 200 dollars worth of merchandise (though I'm not assuming you'll do that).

And WDW resorts have refrigerated lockers, in case your delivery arrives when you're not in your room.

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
We always have a rental car and lately have been going to the Publix on 192 for groceries on the way from the airport, but I would not recommend that in a cab from WL.

The suggestions that have you either bussing to Downtown Disney and walking or cabbing along Hotel Plaza Boulevard to Goodings are excellent options, as are the suggestions for using netgrocer.com or something similar.

Being from NY, we don't find that the prices at Gooding's are outrageous. When we go to Publix, we feel we are getting real bargains!!

Since you are staying at WL, which has a DVC element, you can also buy basics at the villas shop. You are not going to get much more than milk, OJ, eggs, bacon, bread, etc., and it will be at a premium, but if basics are all you need, taking cabfare into consideration, the shop at the villas may suit your needs.

I would guess that the Hess station across from parking 2 at Downtown Disney will be the most convenient for you. The Hess stations have very good prices on bottled water, that's where I usually stock up.

Hope all that helped.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom