Grocery Options

elizzierose

Hi Everyone!

I am a life long Disney veteran but haven’t been in a while and have not been yet with my children (6 years and 6mo by the time of our trip).
Although we will be renting a car and very well may take a ride to Publix, I am looking for some suggestions regarding grocery options. Do you shop, do pick up, or delivery? Whatever the case, what have been the stores or services you’ve used that you can suggest?

Thank you!

Weather_Lady

We've never had a rental car -- if we did, we'd simply stop at a store on the way to our hotel from the airport.

Instead, we place a grocery order with Amazon Prime Now for all of our perishable (or bulky) breakfast and snack foods. (*You do have to have Amazon Prime to use it.)

The prices are similar to what we'd find in an actual grocery store, delivery is free if you order $35 or more (although a tip to the driver is customary), and they'll bag cold items in insulated bags with cold packs. You can pick a 2-hour delivery window (or pay a few dollars extra if you need a 1-hour window). My usual practice is to assemble my virtual cart a day or two ahead of time, place the order through the app after we land in Orlando, and select a delivery window that roughly coincides with that day's afternoon nap/swim break. The app will notify me when the driver is on the way so I can be there to accept delivery. (Alternatively, so long as there is no alcohol in the order necessitating that I show my ID to the driver, I can have the delivery left with Bell Services until I'm able to grab it.) A typical $35 order for us would include a case of bottled water, some fresh fruit, a half-gallon of milk, a couple bags of bagels and a couple cream cheeses, flavored coffee creamer, some granola bars or fruit snacks, and a multi-pack of serving-size cereal boxes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arich35

Has anyone used Walmart's grocery delivery at Disney yet? Only $9.99 fee and all the prices seem similar to in store but not sure how well they are with delivering to Disney

Upvote 0

JohnD

Has anyone used Walmart's grocery delivery at Disney yet? Only $9.99 fee and all the prices seem similar to in store but not sure how well they are with delivering to Disney

I used Publix delivery at home after healing from a recent surgery. The app is easy to use and the shoppers will text you if the item you chose isn't available and show you photos of alternatives. Same question about delivery to Disney though.

Upvote 0

elizzierose

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your input so far!

At home, our local grocery store chain offers pick up with a half hour window. Does Publix offer something like that? Or any local store like Walmart or target or another grocery store? I think we have decided that we are not interested in doing a service with a couple of hours of a window. We’d rather just go and shop or shop online and schedule a specific pick up window.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Thank you everyone for your input so far!

At home, our local grocery store chain offers pick up with a half hour window. Does Publix offer something like that? Or any local store like Walmart or target or another grocery store? I think we have decided that we are not interested in doing a service with a couple of hours of a window. We’d rather just go and shop or shop online and schedule a specific pick up window.
I can only speak about Walmart's grocery pickup, but...

Several Orlando-area Walmart locations offer online grocery ordering (no price mark-up) with a free 1-hour window during which it will be ready. You'd have to consult the website or app to see which ones are closest to your route/hotel. If you have the app, it will tell you when your order is ready, give you directions to the store, offer substitutions if anything you chose is no longer available (which you can accept or reject), and allow you to "check in" and let them know which numbered parking spot you're in when you get there.

Note that popular times of day can get "booked up" a few hours or even a day ahead, so if you can, place your order the day before so you can have more flexibility in choosing your desired pickup time window.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elizzierose

Original Poster
I can only speak about Walmart's grocery pickup, but...

Several Orlando-area Walmart locations offer online grocery ordering (no price mark-up) with a free 1-hour window during which it will be ready. You'd have to consult the website or app to see which ones are closest to your route/hotel. If you have the app, it will tell you when your order is ready, give you directions to the store, offer substitutions if anything you chose is no longer available (which you can accept or reject), and allow you to "check in" and let them know which numbered parking spot you're in when you get there.

Note that popular times of day can get "booked up" a few hours or even a day ahead, so if you can, place your order the day before so you can have more flexibility in choosing your desired pickup time window.
Ahh ok, I see. Very helpful, thank you!

Upvote 0

bugmonster

Any ideas on the best delivery option for a late arrival? We land at MCO at 6:00. Do any delivery options offer windows starting at 7pm? Or is it ok to take the latest delivery window and have it left at Bell Services (Beach Club Villas)?

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Any ideas on the best delivery option for a late arrival? We land at MCO at 6:00. Do any delivery options offer windows starting at 7pm? Or is it ok to take the latest delivery window and have it left at Bell Services (Beach Club Villas)?
I don't know about other services, but Prime Now delivers until "late evening," but doesn't specify a particular time, probably because it varies by day and driver availability.

No worries, though: whatever service you use, if you have to have groceries delivered before you arrive -- and assuming your delivery is eligible to be dropped off without you having to show ID (e.g., for alcohol) -- Bell Services will accept the delivery for you and should keep cold things cold until you get there. Just be sure to budget a little tip for Bell Services, (in addition to the tip you'll give your delivery person, generally paid through the app you used to order), if they need to do that. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elizzierose

Original Poster
After exploring some options and finalizing our arrival day/flight time, I think we are going to try the Amazon grocery delivery. @Weather_Lady or anyone else familiar with Wilderness Lodge…do you know if the Mercantile sells food items like cartons of eggs or 12/24 packs of water bottles? I’m fairly confident they sell food but not sure if it extends to what we need if we run out. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

After exploring some options and finalizing our arrival day/flight time, I think we are going to try the Amazon grocery delivery. @Weather_Lady or anyone else familiar with Wilderness Lodge…do you know if the Mercantile sells food items like cartons of eggs or 12/24 packs of water bottles? I’m fairly confident they sell food but not sure if it extends to what we need if we run out. Thank you!
It's been a few years and I don't know if COVID restrictions have altered the usual inventory, but when we stayed there, yes, the shop at the Wilderness Lodge carried a large array of grocery staples including milk, bread, eggs, etc. and of course bottled water. They were hugely marked up, however, so be aware that there may be some sticker shock!

Just to give the general idea of what you might expect to find, here's a photo I found Googling around of the refrigerated section of the Wilderness Lodge mercantile (photo credit to KennyThePirate):

BFFE5438-14D6-4568-8C98-75CD19590C16.jpeg

And here's the non-refrigerated stuff:

S%20(12).JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elizzierose

Original Poster
It's been a few years and I don't know if COVID restrictions have altered the usual inventory, but when we stayed there, yes, the shop at the Wilderness Lodge carried a large array of grocery staples including milk, bread, eggs, etc. and of course bottled water. They were hugely marked up, however, so be aware that there may be some sticker shock!

Just to give the general idea of what you might expect to find, here's a photo I found Googling around of the refrigerated section of the Wilderness Lodge mercantile (photo credit to KennyThePirate):

BFFE5438-14D6-4568-8C98-75CD19590C16.jpeg

And here's the non-refrigerated stuff:

S%20(12).JPG
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom