greetings from pirates

BeckyLSawyer

dxwwf3 said:
I hate when they do that :lol: Luckily I know better than to listen to it. If I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to ride the RNRC when I did for the first time.

Well, that's fine and dandy that you "don't listen". Next time you're waiting out front of an attraction, waiting for it to open in a week, remind me to giggle as I walk past.

In all honesty, POTC wasn't open today. We were testing and adjusting at the attraction, and guests were permitted to ride while the doors were open. Why waste a perfectly good chance to practice evac procedures?

Believe me, I know... I had to work the thing all day.

We were participating in what we call a "soft open". Which means that we have the right to close the ride at any point for any reason, and completely shut the thing down. It amused us all day when people said, "Well, they said it wasn't open til the 7th."

"Well, it's not."

"It running."

"For now." *smile, walk away*

Not to mention, when the park opened this morning, we had no knowledge that the ride would be up. In fact, we didn't know for sure until our boss showed up and opened the doors.

So :p

dxwwf3

I know what Soft Openings are Becky and I have seen CM's say the typical spiel one minute and then lead people into the attraction the next minute. There are too many people in the know here to not know when something is supposed to be open or not. :wave:

BeckyLSawyer

And that would be correct in this instant as well, except that the same thing happened yesterday. I work in the area and I was told that the CM preview was cancelled because of circumstances. Then at 4:30, what do you know? Preview. So, the fact remains that no one knew, especially not the eight engineers standing in the control room waiting to see if the thing would start.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
BeckyLSawyer said:
Well, that's fine and dandy that you "don't listen". Next time you're waiting out front of an attraction, waiting for it to open in a week, remind me to giggle as I walk past.

In all honesty, POTC wasn't open today. We were testing and adjusting at the attraction, and guests were permitted to ride while the doors were open. Why waste a perfectly good chance to practice evac procedures?

Believe me, I know... I had to work the thing all day.

We were participating in what we call a "soft open". Which means that we have the right to close the ride at any point for any reason, and completely shut the thing down. It amused us all day when people said, "Well, they said it wasn't open til the 7th."

"Well, it's not."

"It running."

"For now." *smile, walk away*

Not to mention, when the park opened this morning, we had no knowledge that the ride would be up. In fact, we didn't know for sure until our boss showed up and opened the doors.

So :p
We all knew that...at least most of us did. I knew that I might very well have waited outside of the ride all day and never got in. I knew that the cast members out front were going to give me the official line until they were told different. As seasoned guests most of us know how to read between the lines and just wait patiently for the magic to arrive. The magic got there at about 9:45 and I couldn't have been more pleased. You and your fellow cast members did a great job today. Many thanks.

dxwwf3

Anyone waiting there is taking a chance because it is a soft opening. But it does suck for people not reading information from those in the know. When they hear that it is definitely not opening for guests today, it can be unfortunate when that group may miss out. I wish they could say there is a chance soft openings could happen today, but they are unlikely and not guaranteed. That way they might check back later and if it isn't open, then it shouldn't be a big deal. But at least they could check back later. But I know they can't do it without problems poping up.

EDITED: See posts later in this page.

dxwwf3

Master Yoda said:
We all knew that...at least most of us did. I knew that I might very well have waited outside of the ride all day and never got in. I knew that the cast members out front were going to give me the official line until they were told different. As seasoned guests most of us know how to read between the lines and just wait patiently for the magic to arrive.

Exactly

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
dxwwf3 said:
Anyone waiting there is taking a chance because it is a soft opening. But it does suck for people not reading information from those in the know. When they hear that it is definitely not opening for guests today, it can be unfortunate when that group may miss out. I would think the best thing to say is there is a chance soft openings could happen today, but they are not guaranteed. That way they might check back later and if it isn't open, then it shouldn't be a big deal. But at least they could check back later.
I can kind of understand why they don't. If the soft opening did not happen when they said it "might" you can be pretty sure that there would be a line of disgruntle guests at guest services demanding, tickets, free hotel stays lifetime passes etc. No to mention there was quite a mob building at the attraction. If they and given some glimmer of hope Adventure land would have become impassable.

dxwwf3

Master Yoda said:
I can kind of understand why they don't. If the soft opening did not happen when they said it "might" you can be pretty sure that there would be a line of disgruntle guests at guest services demanding, tickets, free hotel stays lifetime passes etc. No to mention there was quite a mob building at the attraction. If they and given some glimmer of hope Adventure land would have become impassable.

I can understand that too and I didn't mean for my post to sound like that is what they "should" do. It's just I wish they "could" do that....without the type of incidents mentioned in your post. I just edited it to make it sound more like the way I ment it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
dxwwf3 said:
I can understand that too and I didn't mean for my post to sound like that is what they "should" do. It's just I wish they "could" do that....without the type of incidents mentioned in your post. I just edited it to make it sound more like the way I ment it.
No problem....I did not take it negatively at all. I thought the same thing myself and then quickly realized why it had to be done that way.

dxwwf3

Master Yoda said:
No problem....I did not take it negatively at all. I thought the same thing myself and then quickly realized why it had to be done that way.

Oh I know, I just re-read the post when you quoted it and saw that isn't how I ment it to sound :wave:

EpcotServo

BeckyLSawyer said:
And that would be correct in this instant as well, except that the same thing happened yesterday. I work in the area and I was told that the CM preview was cancelled because of circumstances. Then at 4:30, what do you know? Preview. So, the fact remains that no one knew, especially not the eight engineers standing in the control room waiting to see if the thing would start.
Many thanks to you and your fellow POTC CMs. I never bug Cast Members about previews, because I know that the managers are (in most cases.) not telling them much.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
back... we were unable to ride again due to a combination of weather and just being tired.

My co-rider says he was impressed with the quality of the sound system and the Jack Sparrow AA's, as well as very surprised (in a good way) with the last scene. The Davy Jones effect is fantastic. He wonders about the air cannons from Disneyland... if they're here and not working/operational, or if they're not gonna be here at all. Overall, very enjoyable.

Scar Junior

Thanks Becky. I thought one of those replies was a bit on the rude side.

"we know that already" tends to sound a bit like "you're comments aren't needed" sometimes

I learned a bit from the post and enjoyed hearing from the Attractions Host(ess) point of view. Thanks for the input.

Kwit35

Well, as much as I dislike changing the classics, I am starting to get excited about seening the changes in two weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom