"Greening" The Disney Fleet

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think the best thing Disney will ever get is bio-diesel, assuming they can get it that cost effective. Based on how much diesel fuel Disney uses (300+ buses), unless they can get a local refinery near Tampa (or closer), I dont see that happening. IMO.
Bio-diesel would also make sense considering how much fryer oil they must produce on a daily/weekly basis. They could, if the refining facilities were close enough, produce quite a bit of it.

PhotoDave219

I doubt a Tsunami would hit Vogtle. It's pretty darned for inland (like...the whole state of SC), and a storm surge would have to travel pretty far up the Savannah River to get to it.

That said, it is built only a few miles from an active fault line (an active fault line runs through downtown Augusta).

Oh crap, one of my first days in Athens, they sent me to the Savannah River National Laboratory for an environmental story.

Places in the world I wont drink the water.

PhotoDave219

Such as?

I seriously struggle to think of any....
A token solar panel or recycling bin doesn't count.

They have quite the recycling initiatives. They sort trash backstage. Which is downright nasty if you're the unlucky CP.

Plus the water usage (low-flow shower heads & the like) and the thermostats that only work if youre in the room. Tho I'm sure thats more about reduced energy consumption overall and lower bills.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Considering they recently put out the new red buses, I doubt this would happen any time soon.
When did they do that. Just there and didn't see any red busses. Just the old white/purple trim and tan/red trim. I will say that the double busses are a great addition. They can move a bunch of people on those things.

dramaqueen520

When did they do that. Just there and didn't see any red busses. Just the old white/purple trim and tan/red trim. I will say that the double busses are a great addition. They can move a bunch of people on those things.

Sorry, I was referring to the tan/red trim buses. I agree that the double busses are great! I haven't gotten to ride one yet but they seem to be effective

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Well consider their latest endeavor to install 48000 solar panels, now that's pretty green.

Disney will purchase some power provided by the 5 Mega Watt Duke Energy facility.The amount of Power Disney will purchase from said facility has not been made public. Disney already purchases some power from Duke Energy's solar program. Most metropolitan areas, with a large amount of sun, have energy companies offering Green Power sources for a higher price to their subscribers.

*1023*

Daniel Johnson

Bio-diesel would also make sense considering how much fryer oil they must produce on a daily/weekly basis. They could, if the refining facilities were close enough, produce quite a bit of it.
I owned a vw bus that was converted for bio-diesel...it took a minimum of 25 gallons of grease to power it. That's strained and cleaned for impurities... And, that was a fill up a week. It got to be too much to deal with. Plus the fact that fry oil has to reach a certain temp to burn clean...(a torch to the tank for 20 min was required 5 months out the year for every single shutdown of the engine lasting over 30 min...) it's more headache than it was worth. Powering the fleet Disney has will be a huge undertaking.

ewensell3

In modern reactors the risks are grossly overstated. It's the "greenest" tech we have, frankly.

But, that's for another discussion.

Nuclear is safe. Management of Nuclear in a free enterprise economic system is not. Most nuclear incidents have come down to a poorly made economic decision.

Look around at all the little maintenance issues around the parks and ask yourself if you want a company who can't be bothered changing lightbulbs at the Grand Floridian running a nuclear power plant.

righttrack

The buses are the greenest mode of travel they have!

They operate on demand, thanks to cameras and dispatchers, not on regular schedule. Yes, they can and will I'm sure look at other fuel sources, but the methodology in and of itself is very green.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom