Green Light on TRON E Ticket Design!!

SMRT-1

Original Poster
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/11/getting-on-grid.html

With all the buzz surrounding "Tron Legacy" the Suits in Burbank are getting a bit giddy...

How Giddy, you ask? Well, with all the positive buzz surrounding the upcoming film, the Bothans tell me that the Imagineers over at WDI have been given the go-ahead to move further into blue sky development on an E-Ticket attraction themed to Tron for Disneyland. This isn't a green light for the actual, finalized ride, just the opportunity to explore more extensive designs and concepts. Something tells me late 2012/early 2013 could see the beginning of that long talked about, but continually put off remake of Tomorrowland.

It appears the future is happening now... Posted by Honor Hunter at 12:34 AM

Labels: Disneyland, Imagineering, Tomorrowland, Tron Legacy, WDI

GrumpyFan

Pardon me if I don't get overly excited about this. From the sound of it, they have been given the greenlight to explore some ideas and concepts, but no actual budget for park placement or real development. I'm sorry, but I've seen and heard too many times in the past where a project that was related to a film was being considered, but once the film came out, and performed less than great, the project was quickly swept away to the archives.

So, I'll hold out on this for now. I would venture to guess that the original movie also had some ideas that were conceptualized when it came out, but I think we all know how that went.

Tigger1988

Nothing is going to happen unless the film is a hit, if it comes out and flops like the original this design will go back on a shelf.

BrerFrog

If they do build that ride on DL I hope they realize there is a park on the other coast that could use one more E-ticket besides Mermaid.

JohnLocke

Nothing is going to happen unless the film is a hit, if it comes out and flops like the original this design will go back on a shelf.

That's true, but if they are going ahead and letting them develop plans for one now, hopefully they will be able to fast track it, if the movie's a hit. I'd say anywhere close to or over 200M, which seems doable, and/or strong dvd sales, should make them fast track the attraction to try to be in line with a probable sequel.

SeaCastle

To be honest, I'm not very confident the movie will be the breakout hit Disney's hoping it will be. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see it becoming that much of a blockbuster.

Vernonpush

Pardon me if I don't get overly excited about this. From the sound of it, they have been given the greenlight to explore some ideas and concepts, but no actual budget for park placement or real development. I'm sorry, but I've seen and heard too many times in the past where a project that was related to a film was being considered, but once the film came out, and performed less than great, the project was quickly swept away to the archives.

So, I'll hold out on this for now. I would venture to guess that the original movie also had some ideas that were conceptualized when it came out, but I think we all know how that went.

If they do build that ride on DL I hope they realize there is a park on the other coast that could use one more E-ticket besides Mermaid.

That's true, but if they are going ahead and letting them develop plans for one now, hopefully they will be able to fast track it, if the movie's a hit. I'd say anywhere close to or over 200M, which seems doable, and/or strong dvd sales, should make them fast track the attraction to try to be in line with a probable sequel.

I've quoted alot of things here:lol:

The original Tron flopped= no ride (probably some development plans had been made for a park attraction at the time [ but the video game consule {it was in the early video game craze} was made].

During the credits for most Disney (and Pixar) films there have been credits during their Theatrical Releases for "Theme Park Development" for years now. I think it's "Standard Operation". The first time I noticed this was for UP (I think) and have seen it in other movies as well.

And finally, what makes y'all think that the Tron Ride will be "fast tracked" considering how many years it's taken for Disney to build a The Little Mermaid attraction ?

tman2000

About Little Mermaid - I forgot that that's actually a recent movie. But it's totally a classic. For once, they wait to build a ride that's based on an actually enduring character. For that they deserve credit.

But Tron is a bit overhyped. It's been in the works forever, marketed forever, when does it come out?

They've opened stores with purses etc. at malls.

Maybe they think "It's 3-D so it will get Avatar crowds." :lookaroun

PalisadesPkteer

OK so say Tron Legacy is a hit. What do you do with Tron 3?

Anyway, hope it is a hit and we get a lot of new ideas to revitalize Tomorrowland in both DL and WDW. Would help the other Disney parks around the world also.

JimboJones123

I've quoted alot of things here:lol:

The original Tron flopped= no ride (probably some development plans had been made for a park attraction at the time [ but the video game consule {it was in the early video game craze} was made].

During the credits for most Disney (and Pixar) films there have been credits during their Theatrical Releases for "Theme Park Development" for years now. I think it's "Standard Operation". The first time I noticed this was for UP (I think) and have seen it in other movies as well.

And finally, what makes y'all think that the Tron Ride will be "fast tracked" considering how many years it's taken for Disney to build a The Little Mermaid attraction ?

Tron themed DL Peoplemover was the wildest ride in the universe. Or at least the trash cans I filled after riding provided the illusion that it was.

ABigBrassBand

This should be interesting, just hope they don't re-theme the Peoplemover (did anyone else get this idea?).

Actually, it's E-ticket, so I don't know.

WDITrent

It's hardly a green light. They're just exploring more ideas for it. It hasn't been green-lit, there's no set opening for it or the rest of Tomorrowland, and the supposed Frontierland rework would happen first.

That, and it's not coming to WDW, so no need to get excited over here.

Bairstow

So if I'm sitting at a traffic light, and it's still red, but I'm thinking about how it might turn green, that means I can go ahead and drive through, right?

SMRT-1

Original Poster
It's hardly a green light. They're just exploring more ideas for it. It hasn't been green-lit, there's no set opening for it or the rest of Tomorrowland, and the supposed Frontierland rework would happen first.

That, and it's not coming to WDW, so no need to get excited over here.

who knows? it might come to WDW if the movie is a gigantic hit which appears it will be.

Tigger1988

who knows? it might come to WDW if the movie is a gigantic hit which appears it will be.

Honestly, nothing really indicates it's going to be a huge hit. Most of the hype is coming from Disney themselves and of course they'll hype their own film. This could end up like a Last Airbender kind of situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom