Great Movie Ride

RSD

Original Poster
I just came back from MGM. The Great Movie Ride seemed to have a problem. The Aliens portion of the ride did not have the big Alien coming down from the ceiling. Was it broken or is it no longer part of the ride? It's really time they update that ride with a few "newer" flicks here and there.

polyman 65

I personally wish Disney would loose the MGM and all the great movie ride stuff,and make it all Disney films(maramax touchstone ect).Take that wizzard of oz stuff and trash it (sorry cant stand that movie)it still freaks me out.:lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Just because one time you rode GMR an element is missing doesn't mean its gone. It was probably getting fixed, you just missed it, or it wasn't time for it to go off.

Mateo1721

The great movie ride has such potential, who wouldn't want to be immersed in their favorite movie. This ride, however, really needs to be updated. The most current movies represented are Alien and Indiana Jones, movies that are decades old. Considering that the Mann's Chinese Theater is the centerpiece of the studios, you would think that they would do more with this. I agree that Wizard of Oz is a very strange movie and one that is becoming more and more obscure as time goes on. I really like the interaction between the cast members and the AA, but the ride definitely needs rehab.

KevinPage

The Alien coming out from the ceiling is no longer an effect of the ride. If you noticed, there was an Alien coming out of the wall. Not nearly as scary and it doesn't 'surprise' you, it's just "there". No idea why the change

Mateo1721

Originally posted by GaryT977
They just finished a rehab in June. IMHO, this ride ain't changing for a while.

I went on it right after the rehab, but it didn't seem like they changed anything. I guess I mean a complete update rather than just maintenance. Its a shame that it won't change, cause it is a good concept.

adr315

Originally posted by KevinPage
The Alien coming out from the ceiling is no longer an effect of the ride. If you noticed, there was an Alien coming out of the wall. Not nearly as scary and it doesn't 'surprise' you, it's just "there". No idea why the change

Both aliens have been there since the beginning...

DisneyJill

The last time I was there, both aliens came out, so I am inclined to think that maybe that alien was simply broken that day or something.

GaryT977

Originally posted by Mateo1721
I went on it right after the rehab, but it didn't seem like they changed anything. I guess I mean a complete update rather than just maintenance. Its a shame that it won't change, cause it is a good concept.

I went on the day the rehab was finished. Everything was nice a clean, new carpet, etc. The script seemed tighter, and all the effects were working, but other than that, there weren't any major changes.

Besides, the movies the ride depicts were ancient when the ride first opened, so it doesn't seem like there was ever an intent to have contemporary movies in the ride.

JimiThing1

Both aliens are still there. If you are sitting in the back of the tram you will not see the first alien from the ceiling as it is inteded for the front of the tram where as the side alien is intended for the back of the tram.

mwitkus

correct me if i'm wrong - i have a horrible memory when it comes to details - but don't they give a speil in the beginning of the ride explaining that this is sort of a tribute to the great movies that have been made, vs. the recent movies that have been made?

i personally enjoy the gmr and love that it reflects back on the classics...

meeko_33785

The Great Movie Rides is one of my favorites. I love how it's primarily the classics from the Golden Age of Hollywood. I would hope that if they rehab it any more, that they would keep that concept in mind and add more classics insteed of newer films like Armagedon, Chicago, Roger Rabbit, etc. And I wouldn't be upset at all if Alien went though. I would hardly call that a "great movie". :D

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Well it seems a few of you are confused about the rehab.

All the rehab was for, was to paint the facade, paint the inside, new carpeting and, as stated, a better script. For the script, they mostly kept it to the original but they gave the CMs the chance to do it their own way, basically making it "their" movie ride.

As far as the Alien goes, I noticed that the one on the side wasnt working on Thursday when I was out there, but the other one was.

And Indy is 22 years old movie wise.....well technically about 114, give or take....He was born in July of 1889...so yeah.

All it boils down to is shut it down for a year, replace the AAs, update the tracks to digi, ect. and it'll be good as new.

But before we do that, let's plan our attack on the Sorceror's Hat (Lets get szalinskys machine, blow him up and have PhilharMagic 2.0)....Unfortunatly, they put that pin central under it so I doubt that'll become a reality any time soon.

Tower/of/Terror

Account Suspended
Originally posted by X2CommNavISTC

For the script, they mostly kept it to the original but they gave the CMs the chance to do it their own way, basically making it "their" movie ride.

From what I remember... I went on it a few times this summer (after the rehab) and I got a different CM everytime and they said the exact same thing... it got annoying after the 3rd or 4rth time... :hammer:

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
I forgot to mention that its optional to do it or not. Most of em do stick to the orginal script. But this new version gives them the chance to give their own input and reword the script if they wish, plus they can act differently during the switch outs.

Trust me. They used to talk about this like every episode of Studio 95 when they were getting ready to reopen it and even after they reopened it. You'd have to really be paying attention to notice the differences.

Joalovar

I went to the GMR on september 7 and the alien effect wasn't working. I also believed that it was taken out of the ride after the last rehab.

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Studio News 95=CM channel backstage for news going on with the park.

Helped a lot during the re-routing of the backlot tour.

I've seen the Alien effect working after it reopened from when it was last shut down for the rehab, so apparently its just having tech. difficulties right now or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom