Great Movie Ride

JimiThing1

Originally posted by X2CommNavISTC
update the tracks to digi, ect. and it'll be good as new.

The audio tracks were updated to digital on the last rehab...only thing that needs the digital update now is the finale film and audio.

DDuckFan130

I think they should stick to classics and forget about contemporary...i think they should take out indy, cuz that already has its own show in mgm (love the movie though don't get me wrong)...i dont think new classics should be there cuz mann's chinese theater (or grauman's whatever) was the "it" place for hollywood premieres during the golden age of hollywood, and now it's hardly used anymore...they should definitely update it, maybe keeping the same genres but putting in different movies, like the original scarface for the gangster scene (well, if that's an mgm movie i'm not sure) or more emphasis on john wayne or more emphasis on my personal favorite, singin' in the rain :rolleyes: lol jk but seriously, i think if anything, things should be added on and have indy removed and have movies up to a certain year...leave the newer movies for the montage in the end...this is all my own opinion don't bite my head off :)

terry55

The Wizard of Oz is a classic movie and I think this ride is more about classics than about recent movies. I like the ride just the way it is and I personally would not want it diluted with the recent movies that can't hold a candle to some of the older ones.

Terry

Richie Rich

Hello everyone. My first post!!

Just came back from the States a couple of weeks ago; rode GMR twice and no Alien to be seen. I have to say that the ride's charm lies in the fact that the films that it covers are classics - if you want to see a complate waste of time and space try Armageddon at Disney Studions Paris. Although The Wizard of Oz as a film is a bit dull that stage on the GMR is fab. I do agree though that certain sections are in need of a major rehab - Indy springs to mind. :wave: :wave:

Dayma

They need a Battlefield Earth and Dungeons and Dragons scene!!! Just Kidding....

I like it the way it is the ONLY problem is that I do not like the Fantasia part it just seems that they could do something more creative for it.....

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
From what I was told, that part from Fantasia was added in because they had money left over on the project.

This obviously didnt happen but it was rumored that during that last rehab, that would be removed to extend the Oz scene.

Which could have been good. Loop the tornado scene in that are since the first the you see pratically is the house on the witch, so it would be a good transition.

Yeah. And that Armaggedon thing is just total crap. Did they move the Armadillo they had in front of the GMR before they redid that area for the hat out to Paris?

Richie Rich

Couldn't agree more Blackride. Surely there is something they could do with the Fantasia area? Maybe, if space is tight a montage of Disney classics on multiple screens?

neelix

I was there in june just a week or two after the rehab and the ceiling alien was not working then either I looked in the whole and couldn't even see it sitting there

EvilMortimer

Account Suspended
Ah, the Great Movie ride... such a nice ride. Too bad it's on the list for, ahem, removal. That list is, of course, really long. It had Horizons on it way back in the early 90's. And it's taken all this time for something to actually happen. And during that time, Horizons did have a rehab. Remember, just because a ride goes in for a rehab, that doesn't mean the ride is staying. Espically now that Pressler's gone. Jay wants a good, clean look to the park. You may start noticing that. Sites like WDW Blues will become obsolete. But back to the Great Movie Ride. Particually the Oz scene. Contrary to popular belief, Disney does not own MGM, and Disney does not have the rights to many of the MGM movies. And one of those movies that Disney didn't have the rights to was the Wizard of Oz. Disney bought the right to use only a few selected scenes from the movie. The tornado scene was not included, because MGM felt that it would seem too much like Disney owned MGM. The Fantasia Scene was thrown in at the last minute with the leftover money that would have been used to purchace the rights to use the tornado scene in the GMR. That's why we have lots of wind in that scene. Now, that's why Oz is the way it is, just a half played out scene. Then, about a year after the studios opened, then, the most most expensive animatronic ever made by Disney, the Wicked Witch of the West, was installed in the Oz scene to allow interaction between the tram driver and the Witch. That's Oz for ya.

Now, the current status on the ride itself is even more confusing. Plans are still in the works to redo parts of the ride and even take the Man's Chinese Theater front off the building. Now, you're going to say, well, that's insane, why the heck would they do that right after it has just been refurbished. We're in a keep it clean time for the parks now, and no one knows how long it's going to be before they get the approval for the money WDI wants to spend to replace the attraction. And then, there's the contract issue. Eisner wants more and more to stay inside the company. After the troubles with Roger Rabbit, he's been like that. And the MGM name on the Disney park isn't helping much. Eisner's only let the name stay on there this long because of the contract, and the fact that it was the frist park that Eisner actually built. It's truly Eisner's "Baby." Eisner's the one who got the deal with MGM in the first place. So there are many complications. But from the looks of it, if something happens, it will happen all at once. And no one knows how long it will be yet, now that the contract for the theme park name was renewed by MGM back in 99. We may have to wait till 09 to see anything happen. But when it does, you can expect:

-Removal of the MGM Name. New name of the park would be Walt Disney Studios Florida.

-The Removal of the Great Movie Ride with a yet un-named ride replacement.

-A new logo design for the WDW Trash Cans using the hat rather then Man's Chinese Theater.

Now, of course, much of this is all speculation, but the fact of the matter is, it will happen, just no one knows when. So don't take this for fact, it's more like a true rumor with no time set. Remember, even Horizons had a rehab when it re-opened after being closed for more then a year, and then closed less then a year later. Rehabs mean nothing. Okay, that's my post for the day. :lol:

ImSweetPea

The Alien coming out from the ceiling is no longer an effect of the ride.

ImSweetPea

EvilMortimer

That is some pretty interesting info!!!! Thanks!! How do you know so much.. and is there anything else you know????????? I love this kinda stuff...
Marisa

Marijil

Ive read the thread....
2 questions:

1. What is (are) wdw blues?

2. Is the ceiling alien still part of the ride?

Thanks

EvilMortimer

Account Suspended
To answer all the questions one at a time and once and for all:

1. WDW Blues is a website (www.wdwblues.com) that showcases everything that needs to be fixed in the parks, like paint cracking, wood rotting, metal rusting, etc.

2. The Alien is there and always has been there. There are two Aliens which represent the same Alien in the ride. As the tram enters, (2 cars per tram) you can see the Alien "attacking you" from above. That animatronic then stops, and a second later, the other animatronic in the right hand wall activates, creating the effect that the alien has moved through the ship. This way if you are in the front car of a tram, you'll see the alien above, and if you are in the back car, you'll see him on the right. You won't see both of them at the same time.

3. That's not all I know, but I'm too tired to tell you about the Disney-MGM Studios Plan right now. Maybe later if someone brings it up somewhere else on the forums.

mrtoad

Originally posted by X2CommNavISTC

And Indy is only 12 years old.....well technically about 133, give or take....He was born in July of 1889...so yeah.

Raiders of the Lost Ark came out in 1981 so it is 22 years old. Did I miss something, or did you?:veryconfu

mrtoad

Originally posted by meeko_33785
And I wouldn't be upset at all if Alien went though. I would hardly call that a "great movie". :D

While I agree the that Alien was not a great movie, the sequel Aliens is excellent. Tons of action and excitment. Everyone after it is well, junk.

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Yeah, I wasnt thinking that morning, matter of fact all day. One of those there physically but mentally, somewhere else.

Either way hes still around 114 years old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom