Great Movie Ride or Old-school movie ride?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I'm beginning to think that the Great Movie at HS ride is starting to be forgotten. When was the last time you heard that it was closing for a refurbishment? When was the last time the entrance wasn't blocked by a giant hat? When was the last time it actually had a long queue wait? Has it even ever had a sign on the front indicating that it was an attraction rather than just on the park maps??

I love this ride to death. I think it is really well done. But I think it is more outdated than Ellen's Energy Adventure and Captain EO put together! The park isn't even MGM Studios anymore. Think about all the possibilites they could put into this ride with just Disney films for that matter! There's soooo much they could do with this one ride, but it's just sitting there falling apart. I'm sure if it was closed for a week without announcement nobody on this site would even notice.

It needs a refurb. It needs to be remembered. It needs SOMETHING. It's also such a huge ride, I can just think of thousands of things I could put in for a "The Disney Movie Ride" or whatever. I'd be sitting there with my papers and thinking of all those possibilites for each scene and an awesome film about Walt Disney at that end..

Does anyone else agree with me? Or am I alone on this subject.. .-.

Editing this a little.. I might have over exaggerated when I said it's falling apart. I mean a lot of effects don't work like they used to and the AA's aren't in best condition (aside from the witch). It's a little dusty too I might say. Just outdated and a lot of lack in advertising this ride I tihnk

Joseph Robinson

I personally enjoy the nostalgia of it all, although I can see why that would be lost on the youngest of crowds.

As for the "falling apart" and "needs refurbishment" bits, is that just you saying it for the sake of saying it or are there actually show elements that aren't working properly (a la Splash Mountain)? Not being accusatory here, I haven't been to DHS in a bit and I'm genuinely curios. Also, I think the show could use a bit moor oomph, but that is because I feel the cast members aren't as into the show as they used to be.

Britt

I just went on it on our last trip and Sept and didn't see anything not working, falling apart or anything wrong with it. I fully enjoyed it the way it was and I like that it has classic movies. The only thing I might "update" is the speakers and only because I had a bit of a hard time understanding the chick on ours.

Chrononymous

I still enjoy it as well...even though effects don't always work the way they used to, and sometimes I get the less than enthusiastic CM.

I once redesigned it, with scenes from Disney movies that incorporate live action with animation. I thought it would be a really nifty effect.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I personally enjoy the nostalgia of it all, although I can see why that would be lost on the youngest of crowds.

As for the "falling apart" and "needs refurbishment" bits, is that just you saying it for the sake of saying it or are there actually show elements that aren't working properly (a la Splash Mountain)? Not being accusatory here, I haven't been to DHS in a bit and I'm genuinely curios. Also, I think the show could use a bit moor oomph, but that is because I feel the cast members aren't as into the show as they used to be.

Well I went on this ride about a year ago.. The AA's are pretty outdated and according to other threads and websites there's alot of effects that used to exist that don't anymore. I think one of the main ones was in the very first scene where there used to be a fountain or something? I read that a couple of months ago.

I just think the ride needs to at least be refurbed like CBJ was. Upgraded with new movies or not.. But everyone that's my age (15) I'm pretty sure all of us are completely lost in this whole ride. So it seems pretty boring to us but I can respect that the adults and older folks are entertained.

Figgy1

I'm beginning to think that the Great Movie at HS ride is starting to be forgotten. When was the last time you heard that it was closing for a refurbishment? When was the last time the entrance wasn't blocked by a giant hat? When was the last time it actually had a long queue wait? Has it even ever had a sign on the front indicating that it was an attraction rather than just on the park maps??

I love this ride to death. I think it is really well done. But I think it is more outdated than Ellen's Energy Adventure and Captain EO put together! The park isn't even MGM Studios anymore. Think about all the possibilites they could put into this ride with just Disney films for that matter! There's soooo much they could do with this one ride, but it's just sitting there falling apart. I'm sure if it was closed for a week without announcement nobody on this site would even notice.

It needs a refurb. It needs to be remembered. It needs SOMETHING. It's also such a huge ride, I can just think of thousands of things I could put in for a "The Disney Movie Ride" or whatever. I'd be sitting there with my papers and thinking of all those possibilites for each scene and an awesome film about Walt Disney at that end..

Does anyone else agree with me? Or am I alone on this subject.. .-.
Maybe an update but I ride it every time I'm there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joseph Robinson

I just went on it on our last trip and Sept and didn't see anything not working, falling apart or anything wrong with it. I fully enjoyed it the way it was and I like that it has classic movies. The only thing I might "update" is the speakers and only because I had a bit of a hard time understanding the chick on ours.

I agree, I think the sound systems throughout the parks in general could use upgrades...technology is seriously outpacing WDW in that regard.

Well I went on this ride about a year ago.. The AA's are pretty outdated and according to other threads and websites there's alot of effects that used to exist that don't anymore. I think one of the main ones was in the very first scene where there used to be a fountain or something? I read that a couple of months ago.

I just think the ride needs to at least be refurbed like CBJ was. Upgraded with new movies or not.. But everyone that's my age (15) I'm pretty sure all of us are completely lost in this whole ride. So it seems pretty boring to us but I can respect that the adults and older folks are entertained.

Ah, I figured the bolded part was the gist of things, and I can't begrudge your age group of that. Still, the films featured are the basis of the stuff that thrills that young crowd today, wouldn't hurt you guys to learn about and appreciate those features ;).

Figgy1

I agree, I think the sound systems throughout the parks in general could use upgrades...technology is seriously outpacing WDW in that regard.

Ah, I figured the bolded part was the gist of things, and I can't begrudge your age group of that. Still, the films featured are the basis of the stuff that thrills that young crowd today, wouldn't hurt you guys to learn about and appreciate those features ;).
Gee what do you have against us old folks? Old folks pay your bills and take you to Disney!

WondersOfLife

Original Poster

Gee what do you have against us old folks? Old folks pay your bills and take you to Disney!

I have nothing against ya'll haha xD I thought learning was what Epcot was supposed to be for. ;)

Joseph Robinson

What are you kidding a dozen or so on my lawn after school. Not today way to cold! They'll be in the house with the ps3 and xbox

I'm probably still too young to lament about kids today myself but that really is a darn shame. Playing outside in the cold (football anyone) is great. I wish it snowed here in Fl...

Jeffxz

Does anyone know if they still run the western scene? I was there a few weeks ago and asked the CM if they were currently running it and he said "Sorry, we don't run that scene anymore". I didn't have a chance to clarify if he meant just that day or that the scene was permanently retired.

Calvin Coolidge

I love GMR, it might be my favorite ride in DHS and it's certainly the best all-ages ride. That being said, it could definitely use some refreshing. The Tarzan room in particular I think needs to go. Today's park goer doesn't remember the old Tarzan movies the way that they remember other old films in the ride (Casablanca, Wizard of Oz). I'd like to see it replaced with another movie that represents a genre that doesn't really have a place in the ride (Die Hard, maybe, or Silence of the Lambs) or maybe an actual Disney movie other than Mary Poppins (20k Leagues Under the Sea?).

Also I love Indiana Jones but the Indy sequence in the ride is just worn out. Because I hold on to a delusional hope that one day the Anaheim/Tokyo Indy ride will come to DHS or MK or DAK, I'd love to see that part replaced with something else.

And the Footlight Parade scene! The original Disco Yeti. How long has that part been in "B-mode"?

George Lucas on a Bench

Part of me doesn't want it touched. That's one of the greatest Disney attractions I've ever been on. It turns out this ride is now over 20 years old and a relic of a bygone era of Disney attractions. The massive detailed sets, humanoid-sized audio-animatronics everywhere, gangster and western shootouts with murder, Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark well of the souls and the Wizard of Oz movie that everybody knows and loves and isn't owned by Disney. Great stuff. I want to live in this ride. It has Harrison Ford, Cagney, Bogart, Clint Eastwood and John Wayne. Could it possibly be any cooler? No, it couldn't.

Another part of me thinks, well, what could they do with it?

Yet another part of me thinks what they could do to ruin it. Suddenly, all parts of me agree that given Disney's track record with updating classic attractions, The Great Movie Ride would clearly be ruined. I feel like in a horrible way, the hat monstrosity has been guarding this attraction. Disney forgets it's there while there's a huge industrial structure in front of it and that's spared it from being ruined or demolished.

luv

I like TGMR. Not a big fan of that park, but I do love that ride, especially the Wizard of Oz part and the clips at the end.

My favorite part is the cowboy part. I wish they'd run that more often.

Joseph Robinson

Yet another part of me thinks what they could do to ruin it. Suddenly, all parts of me agree that given Disney's track record with updating classic attractions, The Great Movie Ride would clearly be ruined. I feel like in a horrible way, the hat monstrosity has been guarding this attraction. Disney forgets it's there while there's a huge industrial structure in front of it and that's spared it from being ruined or demolished.

I laughed imagining someone from TDO going "I wonder what's behind the hat, we could probably put something there..." and then a few cast members panicking and siphoning him around the hat to some other part of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom