Great Movie Ride - Gangster car not working?

Mad Stitch

wait... so the car is supposed to move... :confused:

every time i go it's never budged :lookaroun

Yes. If you are in the ride vehicle that gets hijacked by the gangsters, the car is hidden back in the tunnel. When the holdup begins it speeds out of the tunnel onto the set. The effect has been constantly on again, off again over the years.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I liked it better when both scenes were working for all riders.
Management has really cheepened up the whole experience - what happens next ? No witch in the Oz scene?!?
If they keep the great movie ride - get the whole ride back to its original condition and effects.
Up date the opening and closing movie cuts but get the remainder back to what it was.

The trams never stopped in both scenes. You always either got hijacked by a gangster or a bandit, but never both.

AlishaMisha

I can report it has not at least worked Feb 25th-April 3.

And yes, if both cars a running during peak season you can request the cowboy scene. I do it every time. After being in WDW for a month with the gangster scene you can't wait for when peak season hits so you can finish a couple more weeks with explosions.

joanna71985

If an effect like that isn't working you'd think they'd go the Alternative and use the Cowboy western shootout scene instead just to get it fixed for the time being.

The western scene isn't alternative. It is a regular scene of the ride

If you notice, when you go to board, they load two sets of cars (with two drivers). One of them goes to the gangster scene, the other gets the western scene. The first car goes through the gangster scene into the western, while the second car does the "I always stop at red lights" routine and gets the gangster.

However, when the ride isn't busy, the western scene is the one taken offline first. But yeah, if they're running both scenes, you can ask for the one you want.

The western scene actually runs year-round (not just during busy times).

Last December, when I visited WDW, I rode GMR twice. First time, gangster car came roaring out of the tunnel. Second time, it didn't. :shrug:

That's happened before. The car is very tempermental

LucyintheSky

On a brighter note the alien coming from the ceiling seemed more aggressive than usual!

I noticed this too, a couple weeks ago. We were sitting in the front row, I was right next to the Cowboy (1st time I'd gotten the Western scene in YEARS, btw), and I was looking up, expecting to see the Alien come down slowly, but it kind of lunged down, and actually made me scream a bit. I didn't remember it coming out so fast in the past. There was also a lot more of the foggy stuff coming out than I'd ever seen. It actually choked us up a little! But I loved it, the Alien scene hadn't genuinely startled me since I was a kid!

celluloid

The western scene actually runs year-round (not just during busy times).

There are times when just the gangster scene runs. It is the scene to choose in slower times because it is a cheaper one to run (No propane required because there is no fire for the bank effect if the gangster hijacks)

Brian_B

Hi everyone, (Former) Great Movie Ride tour guide here.

That car...always...ALWAYS...breaks down. At least, it did when I was working from '04 - '07, and when it does 5101 takes FOREVER to come around and fix it if at all. IIRC, the car stayed in the "out" position for about 3-4 months in '04 and it was such a relief when they finally got it working again. Particularly because there's no way of silencing its audio, so when the show goes off you still could hear the screeching tires and engine which made no sense.

I can't tell you how joyful it was to round the corner as a tour guide - especially on a show where everyone was really into it - and see that car retracted into the garage. It was like awww yeah, this is gonna be good.

Skip

Hi everyone, (Former) Great Movie Ride tour guide here.

That car...always...ALWAYS...breaks down. At least, it did when I was working from '04 - '07, and when it does 5101 takes FOREVER to come around and fix it if at all. IIRC, the car stayed in the "out" position for about 3-4 months in '04 and it was such a relief when they finally got it working again. Particularly because there's no way of silencing its audio, so when the show goes off you still could hear the screeching tires and engine which made no sense.

I can't tell you how joyful it was to round the corner as a tour guide - especially on a show where everyone was really into it - and see that car retracted into the garage. It was like awww yeah, this is gonna be good.

I love the insight! Any other temperamental effects/animatronics stories you'd like to share? :slurp:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Of all of the effects in WDW, I would think moving a car can't be that difficult?

How about if they leave the car where it is and hide the gangsters down in the car, then have them pop up?

Of course a refurb would be required, which costs money...

elisatonks

This particular car is very temperental, they fix it and its down pretty much within days, from what i hear they have had problems with it since pretty much day one. Hopefully one day GMR will get a long overdue refurb and they will be able to replace it with a new car, but until thatb happens it will be fixed and pretty much break again.

Joanna is also right, the bandit scene is also run during the off peak season, though you may have to wait for up to 30min, and need to go on the ride after 10am (ish) and before 4pm (ish) for it as there may only be one bandit vehicle on the track. There also has to be a gangster vehicle on the track for the bandit one to be able to operate, this is why you are more likely to get Gangster, as Gangster can operate on its own.

joanna71985

There are times when just the gangster scene runs. It is the scene to choose in slower times because it is a cheaper one to run (No propane required because there is no fire for the bank effect if the gangster hijacks)

Trust me, 99% of the time there will be at least one vehicle for western (even during slower times). In 2.5 years at GMR, I can count on one hand the amount of days where it didn't run.

Pioneer Hall

Trust me, 99% of the time there will be at least one vehicle for western (even during slower times). In 2.5 years at GMR, I can count on one hand the amount of days where it didn't run.

Interesting. I have been to the studios on a number of occasions where they are only running one car (and it stops in the gangster scene).

joanna71985

Interesting. I have been to the studios on a number of occasions where they are only running one car (and it stops in the gangster scene).

There are sets where there is only one vehicle (certain days, there is only one western vehicle running, and the rest is all single vehicles).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom