Great Movie Ride change

DisneyMusician2

I agree, and it's a shame that it has to be the first scene Guests encounter as it does not set a very exciting tone to start off.

I think that having the non-moving characters first help give the impression that you are moving into the magic of the ride. Of course, GMR is one of my favorites, so I may be a little biased.

eddy21

There is an "A" show and a "B" show if you sit near driver you can see indicator lights.Also stenciled on the floor near the drivers step where vehicle stops is an "B" in gangster and an "A" in western. I believe Co2 is used in guns and liquid nitrogen is definetly used in Alien.

movieride

GMR has been my domain as a CM for some time now. Up until a few years ago, vehicles would be pulled of the tracks in sets creating what we call the "bubble" (music ends-doors open- and there's no vehicles on dock). Then this was changed. Now just the front vehicles (A Western) would be pulled first as the crowds died down. I'll never forget the time I reported back to work after hiatus and only witnessed one vehicle on the dock (gangster B). I was shocked! I had to be taught my shift points very quickly because I was the driver. Driving the single dispatch B (or "sneaky B" as its called) is a bit strange. Basically once in Tarzan we then drive the speed of the A vehicle -faster- and we take the A position by the witch. After this we "turn back" into a B vehicle.

All this created a problem not expected when it was realized by female cast members that their shift opportunities were drying up with the change. See, at the time males could portray both gangsters and bandits, but the females could only portray bandits. Lack of work opportunities was a good argument. Management could either revert back to pulling sets OR create a new role for the female cast members to become gangsters and recieve equal shift opportunities. They chose the latter. Cheers to all of the new female cast members portraying gangsters. You guys have been phenomenal to work with and hive given the ride new zest. The gun in the purse gag is great!
:wave:

Connor002

Cheers to all of the new female cast members portraying gangsters. You guys have been phenomenal to work with and hive given the ride new zest. The gun in the purse gag is great!
:wave:
In fact, about two years ago we had an older woman play the part of our gangster, and I'll have to say, she was by far my personal favorite of the gangsters I've seen.

Rob562

In fact, about two years ago we had an older woman play the part of our gangster, and I'll have to say, she was by far my personal favorite of the gangsters I've seen.

There's a woman who performs at the Comedy Warehouse that I want to say I've seen as the Gangster in the past.... Could be my imagination, though. She does a good New York accent in her acting at the CW...

-Rob

Disneyfanman

On our recent trip (Last October) we had an "all woman" team. The driver was an absolute scream, and my daughter received a ton of personal attention (We sat directly behind her). Then the female gangster took over the cab and was terrific as well, with a "fake" NYish gansterish accent. It was by far our best GMR experience ever, and we have been on that attraction many times. On the same trip (different day) we had a female JC guide who was the best ever. I am happy to see women assuming these roles.

The side story here is that these were both "Best Ever" experiences for attractions that we have been on over and over throughout the years. One of the best things about that is that these "classic" rides can be just as much fun today as they were 15 or 20 years ago, if the people on them make it that way. I really like the fact that in a day of technology, that people can still make such a difference in the experience of a guest. That, in my opinion, is still the "Disney Factor", that continues to bring me back. May it forever be that way.

I left compliments at Guest Services for all three. I always wonder if they receive them when I do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom