Great Movie Ride and the apparent lack of Kubrick

Matt_Black

If what Reddit told me is true, that isn't what they like about it...

That's probably true, though the fans have researched enough that they're good at lying about the reasons they like it, using phrases like "world-building" and "Bechdel test" and so forth. There's enough fan-art and fan-fiction that proves otherwise.

Magenta Panther

Yeah, well, I think that if a group of people are fans of a show subtitled "Friendship is Magic", then maybe they ought to try harder to hold themselves to the values the show espouses. They don't, which is both a failure of their moral character and the show's ability to teach lessons.

A lot of them form groups and do a lot for charity, though. There's one group called "Seeds of Kindness", that I read about, that raised money for Uganda, and I remember reading a news story not long ago about some poor kid who was bullied for liking the show, and he tried to commit suicide. Brony groups rallied around him and helped pay his hospital bills. He's doing a lot better, thank goodness.

Just the same, you guys are right, there are some really disturbing aspects of the fandom. It's the old "rule 34" trope, I suppose.

lebeau

Dude, you put so much spin in the above (tedious) analysis, you probably used a Spirograph instead of a keyboard. But just for fun (and this IS fun; keep it up): you're saying that the Muppet Movie 2's abysmal performance is Disney's fault because it spent too much on it. And that Disney should have realized it was spending too much money. Because, given the Muppets' box-office history, if one Muppet movie somehow manages to turn a profit, the one following it will bomb. Wow, with that track record, it's incredible that Disney bought the puppets in the first place. What a shame that Disney didn't know! Too bad you weren't there when the sale was being discussed. Your sage analysis and deep knowledge of hand puppet history might have prevented the sale from going through, and Disney would have saved itself a ton of money, and this site would have saved a ton of bandwidth because you wouldn't be spending pages and pages splitting semantic hairs over the difference between the terms "disappointment" and "flop". Man, you kill me. Even when a nerd site like Collider calls the film a flop, you keep insisting NO, it's a "disappointment", and there's a DIFFERENCE dammit! :D And you talk about ME fixating on a word? Oh the irony. Frickin' hilarious.

And then you babble some nonsense about the film's scheduling and that it's Disney's fault too. Even though the first puppet film went up against a Twilight movie AND two animated movies (one a Christmas movie and the other a sequel to a very successful movie) and yet it somehow didn't flop, at least not on the first weekend. (It dropped like a rock on the second weekend, but at least it made a little noise before it sputtered out.) Now, why wouldn't Disney assume, given that performance, that the Muppet sequel would do fine if it were released two weeks after a cartoon movie based on another dated franchise? Or against a Twilight-wannabe? It was, after all, doing what you say it didn't - basing its decisions on past Muppet movie history. Irony, The Sequel!

I don't hate the Muppets. They are insignificant in my overall worldview. What I hate is that Disney bought them. I also hate that Disney has bought other stuff like Star Wars and Marvel. Because the fatheads running Disney think it needs that junk in order to compete. Because it's less risky and more cost-efficient (they think) to buy known properties (or "brands", as asshat Iger likes to put it) than to create new product. And then a Muppet movie flops and the Disney-created movie "Frozen" blows that theory out of the water. Irony, the Trilogy! :D

What's really funny about all this is the attitude of you Muppet defenders. You have this solemn belief that if people don't share your reverence for talking gloves, there's something wrong with THEM. "If you don't like the Muppets, there's something wrong with you!" and "If you don't like the Muppets, you have no soul". etc. You're worse than Bronies. They don't seem to go around hating on people because they don't like cartoon ponies. They also seem to have a sense of humor about their obsession. Something you could stand to learn.

FACT: The Muppet sequel cost over 50 million to make. FACT: with just about all the box-office take in, including foreign markets, it's made only 70 million, and as it stands, there is NO way it will ever be profitable. It would have to somehow take in another 35 million just to break even. No way the DVD sales can make up for it. Muppet merchandising sales are crap, which is why you see so little of it around anywhere, so there will be no help coming from that. It's simple math, dude. You still watch Sesame Street, right? :0 Don't they teach simple math on that show? :D

Dude, I am not even reading this. Your first sentence tells me its more of the same. You're just denying whatever facts are inconvenient to your argument.

And here's the really silly part. I openly admit Muppets Most Wanted was a failure at the box office. I even documented how the series has never been especially successful at the movies. As a Muppet hater, you should be jumping for joy at at my posts.

But reality isn't enough for you. You want to live in a world where Muppets Most Wanted went down in flames. It didn't. Sure, it will probably make Disney think twice before releasing another Muppet movie any time soon. But the Muppets will continue on as they have for the last several decades. Nothing you say is going to change that.

And nothing I (or anyone else) says is going to change your mind. Speaking of tedious! You crossed that line long before this thread. I promised myself several posts ago I was going to stop feeding the troll on this one. It's time for me to live up to that promise. Done talking Muppets on this thread. Please feel free to carry on with your one-side conversation as long as you like.

Anyway, I believe the topic of the thread was Kubrick and the Great Movie Ride. Kubrick's a great director. No doubt about it. It would be great to find a way to include him. 2001 seems like the most obvious way to do so. But The Great Movie Ride isn't about individual artists. It's about genres. Individual artists and titles are used to represent various periods and genres. But there is simply no way you can include every actor and director who is worthy. So I'm not overly concerned about any specific omissions.

In general, I think when people complain about the movies that are represented in GMR, the suggestions they make are for the worse. Usually, people are trying to squeeze in more recent movies which is almost never a good idea. GMR doesn't need more recent movies. It just needs some TLC.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Now, that's a good point- do you think the Aliens scene represents the sci-fi genre, the horror genre, or both? And, if both, do you think that's short shifting films that aren't dual-genre?

lebeau

Now, that's a good point- do you think the Aliens scene represents the sci-fi genre, the horror genre, or both? And, if both, do you think that's short shifting films that aren't dual-genre?

That's an interesting question. I mean, Alien unquestionably fits into both genres. But horror is already represented with a generic mummy scene. I understand Disney not wanting to heap on the horror. I mean, let's face it, this ride scares a lot of kids already. No point putting in a section on slasher movies or something like that.

Aside from the clip at the end, Alien is the sole representation of science fiction. So I think that's the role it fills in the ride. The fact that it is equal parts horror is besides the point. And let's face facts, it's there because Disney could obtain the rights too.

The one genre that I can think of that is in no way represented is the super hero genre. Which is ironic considering Disney owns Marvel. But obviously, they can't use them. And I'm guessing Six Flags would prevent them from using Superman or Batman. So there's probably not a lot they can do there. Arguably, the super hero genre is a subset of action and/or sci fi. So perhaps it doesn't need representation.

BigTxEars

Muppet lovers/haters and Bronies, I really never knew these things were so controversial :)

I am not a huge fan of S.K., he certainly is not someone who I am passionate about. Full Metal Jacket came out the year I went to USMC boot camp myself, so it does have a place in my heart. The second half of the movie was average to below average as a war movie IMO. The first half was classic but that was more R. Emery and his performance than anything S.K. did IMO.

Matt_Black

That's an interesting question. I mean, Alien unquestionably fits into both genres. But horror is already represented with a generic mummy scene. I understand Disney not wanting to heap on the horror. I mean, let's face it, this ride scares a lot of kids already. No point putting in a section on slasher movies or something like that.

Not to mention that a lot of the classic movie monsters are owned by Universal. Well, you can't own public domain characters like Dracula or Frankenstein, but Universal does own the most popular and iconic representations of said characters; they are to monsters what Disney is to fairy tale princesses.

lebeau

Not to mention that a lot of the classic movie monsters are owned by Universal. Well, you can't own public domain characters like Dracula or Frankenstein, but Universal does own the most popular and iconic representations of said characters; they are to monsters what Disney is to fairy tale princesses.

Pretty much.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It represents one of the most memorable @$#! Your pants monuments in film

Game is not about genres - it's about memorable aspects of Hollywood and it's lineage

Certain genres are include to highlight the popularity or significance of those topics.. Like the mob films, the westerns, etc

Magenta Panther

Dude, I am not even reading this. Your first sentence tells me its more of the same. You're just denying whatever facts are inconvenient to your argument.

And here's the really silly part. I openly admit Muppets Most Wanted was a failure at the box office. I even documented how the series has never been especially successful at the movies. As a Muppet hater, you should be jumping for joy at at my posts.

But reality isn't enough for you. You want to live in a world where Muppets Most Wanted went down in flames. It didn't. Sure, it will probably make Disney think twice before releasing another Muppet movie any time soon. But the Muppets will continue on as they have for the last several decades. Nothing you say is going to change that.

And nothing I (or anyone else) says is going to change your mind. Speaking of tedious! You crossed that line long before this thread. I promised myself several posts ago I was going to stop feeding the troll on this one. It's time for me to live up to that promise. Done talking Muppets on this thread. Please feel free to carry on with your one-side conversation as long as you like.

Yeah, don't read what I said. Try to rebut it anyway, but don't read what I said. Then run away. Denial's a heck of a drug, isn't it?

images

But at least you've dropped the silly "disappointment" word. That's encouraging, but frankly, it just sounds like you're trading one "F" word for another. Oh well. I guess that's just what Muppets do:

kermitinspiration1.jpg

The truth hurts, I guess:

images

But anyway.

images

Moving on.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Does... does this mean you are NEVER going to go off on a rant about how awful you think the Muppets are ever again? It's my birthday, so this would be the greatest gift ever.

I can't promise that. I think they were a bad investment, and their purchase opened the door to all of those other unnecessary purchases. But I'll tone it down from now on. Deal?

And happy birthday!

Magenta Panther

That's the first intelligent thing you've said all day! ;)

And that's the dumbest thing you've said all day. (I may be remiss in saying that, because I haven't seen the rest of the crap you've posted here today).

Anyhoo, dude, you blew it. Deal's off.

Let's take a look at Kermie's reaction to the Muppet sequel's crappy box-office numbers:

KERMIT_by_szc.jpg

And now let's look at the typical Muppet fan's reaction:

Kermit%20and%20Me.jpg

Man, Muppet fans are weird.

images

By the way, here's your birthday card:

276269.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom