Trip Report Great Garland! Solo Trip in November...It's Totally Tinsel!

Hello folks! I've been back since November 14th but just now getting around to my report.

Here's the lowdown: I'm Amy and I have taken a couple solo trips to Disney World and Disneyland and have gone many times with my hubs, Brad. This was another solo trip. I usually take my solo trips in the Spring but this year Brad is going to go along on my spring trip. So what's a girl to do with a couple personal days and an annual pass....go solo to Disney.

On Halloween my solo trip was almost derailed...long story short my husband missed the last step to the basement steps and fell onto the concrete floor breaking his right ankle in 2 spots. One of the first things he said to me was, "You are not cancelling your trip because of this." Well, I felt like I probably should cancel if he was having difficulty getting around. Well, things worked out and I was still able to go and he survived my absence. I did make sure his meals were all line up before I left.

So back to the trip....

My dates: November 11 to November 14

Resort: All Start Sports (cheap, clean, on property, and cheap)

Since my flight left Minneapolis early on Saturday morning I decided to spend the night near the airport so I didn't have to worry about driving early that morning. I live about an hour and 15 way from the airport, but I'm a worry wort and would rather not have the hassle on the morning of departure.

So on Friday after work I drove to Minneapolis, actually Bloomington where the Mall of America is. I had dinner at Margaritaville and then relaxed in my hotel room. I got to sleep at a decent time and woke up at 4:15 am feeling rested.

My bacon bbq aioli burger from Margaritaville and an Octoberfest Sam Adams beer.
IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

So went I left the hotel on Saturday morning for my less than 5 minute drive to the airport there was a coating of snow on the ground and on my car. As I was brushing off my car I looked up and the salt truck was driving past. Now I was really glad I decided to stay close to airport instead of driving this morning. I am a total wimp in winter driving even though I live in Wisconsin. Even on my short drive I took it slow as I could see some spots looked a little dicey.

I made it there fine and once through security I went to get my coffee at Caribou (so much better than Starbuck and it started in Minnesota). I was happy to see the Reindeer blend was out, this blend is great and only out at Christmas!
IMG_0330.JPG

Shortly after getting my coffee I spent about 10 minutes at the gate before boarding started. I was flying out on Spirit and had splurged for one of the big front seats (extra room!) so I boarded, settled in, and enjoyed my coffee and a doughnut I had brought from home and put on a podcast.

As I was enjoying my coffee my row-mate arrived and sat down, his daughter, a girl in her early 20's boarded with him and was in the aisle seat next to him. About a minute after he sat down, he turned to me and asked if I would switch spots with his daughter because he wanted to sit next to her. I thought, you are sitting next to her she is just across the aisle from you and it isn't like she is a young kid that needs your assistance. He looked put out by my answer and said, "Well I guess you did pay for your spot." I just nodded and went back to my relaxing. He eventually convinced the person sitting next to his daughter to switch and then he slept most of the flight. Whatever, I guess.

So this was my view leaving Minneapolis...
IMG_0331.JPG

And my view when landing in Orlando. It was rainy. Oh well at least it wasn't snow!
IMG_0332.JPG

Then I was greeted with the mob at Magical Express. I was lucky and found a line to the far end that only had a couple people in it. And I was through in a couple minutes and then waited about 20 minutes for my bus to load.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

I might be a little excited. Actually I just did the crazy eyes because it makes Brad laugh.
IMG_0335.JPG

Soon we were boarding...
IMG_0337.JPG

And soon I was home!
IMG_0342.JPG

Figgy1

Premium Member
I had the exact same experience--rode it once and never again. I think I ended up with bruises on my hips from that stupid ride! I think part if the problem is that if there's not enough people on the car to "anchor" each other in, the open seats the make you jolt around too much. It was just another guy and me at the time, and we sat on opposite ends of the car. I ended up hating that ride!
It's not bad now that my boys are bigger, but it's still not my favorite

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After the safari I thought about walking the forest trail but I decided to head over to Yak and Yeti for a little early lunch/snack. I got the side of chicken fried rice and it was delicious. I also used the time to call Brad, as I was talking to him with the mic in my headphones a little boy stopped in front of my table and just stared at me. I think he thought I was talking to myself! I don't think he realized I was using my headphones with my phone! It was kind of funny because he looked so confuses and just stared at me like I was a crazy lady!
IMG_4284.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4286.JPG
IMG_4287.JPG

I rode Everest again before I headed to Pandora to use my Flights of Passage fast pass.
IMG_4289.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4292.JPG

I decided to head to Nomad lounge for a beer and a bite to eat. I got the ribs and the african sliders. I liked the ribs a lot but would pass on the sliders next time, the flavor was fine but the meat on the slider was tough. The vinegar potatoes that came with the sliders were very good.
IMG_4293.JPG

I read in @fractal 's trip report that the beer at Animal Kingdom can be magical. I didn't get the same beer as him, or from the same place. But this was magically delicious.
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG

Songbird76

After the safari I thought about walking the forest trail but I decided to head over to Yak and Yeti for a little early lunch/snack. I got the side of chicken fried rice and it was delicious. I also used the time to call Brad, as I was talking to him with the mic in my headphones a little boy stopped in front of my table and just stared at me. I think he thought I was talking to myself! I don't think he realized I was using my headphones with my phone! It was kind of funny because he looked so confuses and just stared at me like I was a crazy lady!
View attachment 250807 View attachment 250808 View attachment 250809 View attachment 250810
I rode Everest again before I headed to Pandora to use my Flights of Passage fast pass.
View attachment 250812 View attachment 250813 View attachment 250814
I decided to head to Nomad lounge for a beer and a bite to eat. I got the ribs and the african sliders. I liked the ribs a lot but would pass on the sliders next time, the flavor was fine but the meat on the slider was tough. The vinegar potatoes that came with the sliders were very good.
View attachment 250815

I read in @fractal 's trip report that the beer at Animal Kingdom can be magical. I didn't get the same beer as him, or from the same place. But this was magically delicious.
View attachment 250816 View attachment 250817
Was the beer made from Lucky Charms? :p:D

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After my nap I headed over to Epcot for dinner as it was the last day of the Food and Wine festival. I had a few things I wanted to try and some favorites I wanted to get again.

I was surprised and pleased that the entry Christmas decorations were up today.
IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

I stopped into the Art of Disney to browse. There is too much good stuff in there and I don't have enough money for all I would like, but it was fun to look.
IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

There were Christmas trees up by the fountain as well.
IMG_4312.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I stopped in at the new Light Lab, I wasn't impressed with any of their food and I didn't want anything to drink but I looked around. I thought the signs and design of the place was interesting.
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG
IMG_4319.JPG
IMG_4320.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG

I went over to the area in Future World with the food booths, those of you familiar with Flower and Garden it is where the butterfly house is. And I got the loaded mac and cheese, I've had it other years. It was fine but I remember more bacon on it last year. I didn't get anything else to eat in that area I had gotten stuff another day. But I did visit the booths and collected all the AP buttons they were giving out.
IMG_4322.JPG

My next stop was my favorite stand Patagonia, I couldn't wait for another beef skewer with chimichurri, but when I ordered they were out of them!!!!!! NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo! So I walked away sad but I consoled myself with the idea of more good food. Sadly my next food purchase was not even remotely tasty. I stopped at the new Thailand booth and had to decide between the peanut chicken or the red Thai curry with beef. I went with the curry. D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G! As soon as the cast member handed it to me I wanted to hand it back. It looked like mush, complete much. The beef was just thin little slices like deli meat and there weren't a lot of them. I think I took two bites and I just couldn't eat anymore. It was $5+ bucks wasted as it went right in the trash. So if you go to Food and Wine next year and it is on the menu, steer clear!

IMG_4323.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I decided to go into Mexico and ride the attraction and check out the Dia de Muertos display. The display was nicely done but I didn't ride the attraction, the line was actually really long and I needed to get something to eat to get the taste of that red curry out of my mouth.
IMG_4324.JPG
IMG_4326.JPG

My next stop was the India booth, I had thought about China but the line was really long and this was a walk up. I decided on the pistachio cardamom cake with chocolate mousse. I really enjoyed it, and I don't think that is because the last thing I had tasted had been horrid. I would get this again, and in the new festival cookbook Disney published that recipe is in it, so I might be ambitious sometime and make it.
IMG_4327.JPG
IMG_4328.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG

I stopped near Germany for some beer. I was intrigued with the though of a pomegranate beer. When I ordered the sampler I found out they had run out of one of the beers in the sampler, luckily it wasn't the pomegranate. The substitute was a grapefruit beer which I wasn't sure I was going to like, but I ended up enjoying all of them. Also there wasn't a table to be found so I settled at a trash can overlooking the lagoon. A janitor came to empty the trash can and we ended up having a very pleasant conversation for about 5 minutes about beer and Food and Wine festival.
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG

I stopped at Brazil and got the cheese bread. It is always a strange consistency but it is yummy.
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG

I had two more places I wanted to go...France but they were sold out of the two things I wanted so I just watched the show which is lovely. And I ended my Food and Wine tour at Ireland, I really wanted the cheese dip again. Well, guess what....they were sold out. I decided to get the sausage....sold out. Okay I'll get the warm chocolate pudding...not sold out. So that was my last treat of the 2017 Food and Wine festival.

After that I headed out to the next park....but where will that be?

Dave B

After Nomad Lounge I headed out of the park. I headed back the resort for a nap. On the way out I looked at some of the shops. I was tempted to buy the snow day sign but settled on a picture instead. As a teacher, I do enjoy a good snow day!
View attachment 250818 View attachment 250819 View attachment 250820 View attachment 250822 View attachment 250823
It only took a couple minutes for my ride to arrive.
View attachment 250824

The walk back to my room.View attachment 250825 View attachment 250826 View attachment 250827 View attachment 250828
Great trip report, where was the kitchen holiday merchandise at? I know you said Animal Kingdom, which area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom