Trip Report Great Garland! Solo Trip in November...It's Totally Tinsel!

Hello folks! I've been back since November 14th but just now getting around to my report.

Here's the lowdown: I'm Amy and I have taken a couple solo trips to Disney World and Disneyland and have gone many times with my hubs, Brad. This was another solo trip. I usually take my solo trips in the Spring but this year Brad is going to go along on my spring trip. So what's a girl to do with a couple personal days and an annual pass....go solo to Disney.

On Halloween my solo trip was almost derailed...long story short my husband missed the last step to the basement steps and fell onto the concrete floor breaking his right ankle in 2 spots. One of the first things he said to me was, "You are not cancelling your trip because of this." Well, I felt like I probably should cancel if he was having difficulty getting around. Well, things worked out and I was still able to go and he survived my absence. I did make sure his meals were all line up before I left.

So back to the trip....

My dates: November 11 to November 14

Resort: All Start Sports (cheap, clean, on property, and cheap)

Since my flight left Minneapolis early on Saturday morning I decided to spend the night near the airport so I didn't have to worry about driving early that morning. I live about an hour and 15 way from the airport, but I'm a worry wort and would rather not have the hassle on the morning of departure.

So on Friday after work I drove to Minneapolis, actually Bloomington where the Mall of America is. I had dinner at Margaritaville and then relaxed in my hotel room. I got to sleep at a decent time and woke up at 4:15 am feeling rested.

My bacon bbq aioli burger from Margaritaville and an Octoberfest Sam Adams beer.
IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

So went I left the hotel on Saturday morning for my less than 5 minute drive to the airport there was a coating of snow on the ground and on my car. As I was brushing off my car I looked up and the salt truck was driving past. Now I was really glad I decided to stay close to airport instead of driving this morning. I am a total wimp in winter driving even though I live in Wisconsin. Even on my short drive I took it slow as I could see some spots looked a little dicey.

I made it there fine and once through security I went to get my coffee at Caribou (so much better than Starbuck and it started in Minnesota). I was happy to see the Reindeer blend was out, this blend is great and only out at Christmas!
IMG_0330.JPG

Shortly after getting my coffee I spent about 10 minutes at the gate before boarding started. I was flying out on Spirit and had splurged for one of the big front seats (extra room!) so I boarded, settled in, and enjoyed my coffee and a doughnut I had brought from home and put on a podcast.

As I was enjoying my coffee my row-mate arrived and sat down, his daughter, a girl in her early 20's boarded with him and was in the aisle seat next to him. About a minute after he sat down, he turned to me and asked if I would switch spots with his daughter because he wanted to sit next to her. I thought, you are sitting next to her she is just across the aisle from you and it isn't like she is a young kid that needs your assistance. He looked put out by my answer and said, "Well I guess you did pay for your spot." I just nodded and went back to my relaxing. He eventually convinced the person sitting next to his daughter to switch and then he slept most of the flight. Whatever, I guess.

So this was my view leaving Minneapolis...
IMG_0331.JPG

And my view when landing in Orlando. It was rainy. Oh well at least it wasn't snow!
IMG_0332.JPG

Then I was greeted with the mob at Magical Express. I was lucky and found a line to the far end that only had a couple people in it. And I was through in a couple minutes and then waited about 20 minutes for my bus to load.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

I might be a little excited. Actually I just did the crazy eyes because it makes Brad laugh.
IMG_0335.JPG

Soon we were boarding...
IMG_0337.JPG

And soon I was home!
IMG_0342.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
It looked like it might rain so I decided to take the boat instead of walking. It was the right call since it started to rain for a bit.
IMG_3819.JPG

Luckily it cleared off for a bit.
IMG_3820.JPG

First stop was the Ireland booth. There were four things I wanted so I had to go through the line twice since I wouldn't have been able to carry it all the first time.
IMG_3824.JPG

Round One: a stout cheese dip with sauce and sausages with potatoes (basically bangers & mash). Both were really good!
IMG_3825.JPG

Ireland Round Two: warm chocolate pudding and the blonde Guinness. I loved these too.
IMG_3826.JPG

Next stop Hawaii, I got the Kaula pork slider and the Spam hash. I knew the slider was good because that was something I have had other years, and I do like Spam so I was hoping the hash would be good. It was good.
IMG_3829.JPG

I can't remember what the next booth was called, maybe it was the Florida or Farm Fresh. I got the fried chicken thing with cornbread and red eye gravy. It was okay but as soon as it was handed to me it started to rain so I had to duck into one of the stores to eat it. I'm not a big cornbread fan and the chicken was a little tough like it had been sitting out for awhile, but it had decent flavor. It just wasn't a favorite.
IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

The rain had lightened up so I walked over to the Craft beer area but it was packed because of people escaping the rain. So I saw on MDE that I could get a fast pass for that time for Spaceship Earth so I went over there. For my end scenario I closed my eyes and just kept hitting the screen. It was fun to see what my story would be, a surprise. Otherwise I usually just pick the same options.
IMG_0467.JPG

I decided to head out and go back to the resort for a nap before heading out to the Christmas party for the night.
IMG_0468.JPG

Last edited:

Songbird76

According to the general manager, who spoke to me when the carryon bag had been delivered to my room, the man who returned my bag drove over 100 miles back to the hotel. There are some really decent people out there. :)
Wow...I hope Disney compensated him in some way!! He didn't have to do that, but awesome that he did. I hope they at LEAST paid for gas!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I had a decent nap, about an hour. I put the nap channel on the tv. The nap channel is the resort information channel that plays lovely instrumental music.

Off to the Christmas party with a bus load of my "closest" friends. I love that Disney puts inflatables on the entrance sign for the party. Sorry about the quality, I didn't have much room for positioning on the bus.
IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

I arrived and was ready to party!
IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

Once at the party I saw the flag retreat was going on. I haven't ever watched this at WDW but I have watched it a lot at Disneyland. I was just as good as Disneyland's as I watched it from the train station.
IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3840.JPG

The special entrance into the party. It had special photo ops and our first treat a Santa cookie.
IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are a couple shots of me at some of the photo op spots
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_406296475186.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_406297591229.JPG

With this one I didn't really realize that the ornament prop wasn't fully anchored and I almost knocked it off the stand.I'm a bit of a klutz.
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_406298043898.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

A couple of views of the castle before going off to use a fast pass on Seven Dwarfs that I was able to snag before they the park officially closed to non-party guests.
IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After 7D I was also able to ride Small World, Dumbo, the Teacups, and then headed into Tomorrowland. I took a couple spins on the Peoplemover. I was able to stay on for a second ride without getting back in line, and I had a front car. One spin was with the regular narration and the second the party had officially started so there was Christmas music on the ride.
IMG_3867.JPG

A blurry look into Tomorrowland.
IMG_3871.JPG

A look at what turned out to be my favorite treat of the party....the sno-cones! I used to love sno-cones but I never have them anymore. This was blue raspberry and that was my favorite sno-cone flavor as a kid. I had three sno-cones during the Christmas party. I should have had more.
IMG_3873.JPG

Front row baby! Oh yeah!
IMG_3875.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG

Than a little Jingle Cruise.
IMG_3893.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A little look at the Jingle Cruise
IMG_3899.JPG

I was able to spot the hidden Mickey in the lights on the castle. Last year I spotted it while riding the Peoplemover. This year I needed to get a little closer, perhaps now that I'm in my 40's my eyesight is going.... Can any of you spot it?
IMG_3892.JPG

After eating some of the treats at the party I decided I should have something more substantial. I decided on getting a hot dog, and just a hot dog at Casey's, that way I could see/hear a little of the castle show going on. The hot dog was a foot long, but it was a lot bigger than I thought. Crazy big! I didn't care much for the bun, it was too much bread. I prefer the cheap buns.
IMG_3900.JPG

After I finished my giant hot dog I went to see the Frozen castle lighting. I didn't go too close because I wanted to try to find a spot on Main Street afterwards for the 1st Christmas parade.
IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

Main Street was really packed and I didn't think I would find a decent spot.I ended up down by the train station with no place to watch so I took the above picture and decided to walk back towards the castle to get a "second row" spot when....

Pixieish

A little look at the Jingle Cruise
View attachment 247636

I was able to spot the hidden Mickey in the lights on the castle. Last year I spotted it while riding the Peoplemover. This year I needed to get a little closer, perhaps now that I'm in my 40's my eyesight is going.... Can any of you spot it?
View attachment 247635

After eating some of the treats at the party I decided I should have something more substantial. I decided on getting a hot dog, and just a hot dog at Casey's, that way I could see/hear a little of the castle show going on. The hot dog was a foot long, but it was a lot bigger than I thought. Crazy big! I didn't care much for the bun, it was too much bread. I prefer the cheap buns.
View attachment 247638

After I finished my giant hot dog I went to see the Frozen castle lighting. I didn't go too close because I wanted to try to find a spot on Main Street afterwards for the 1st Christmas parade.
View attachment 247639
View attachment 247640

View attachment 247641

View attachment 247642

View attachment 247643

View attachment 247644

View attachment 247645
Main Street was really packed and I didn't think I would find a decent spot.I ended up down by the train station with no place to watch so I took the above picture and decided to walk back towards the castle to get a "second row" spot when....
HA! Great spotting the hidden Mickey! I had no idea there was one!
Your pics are great - I so wish we could get down there for Christmas sometime.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Once at the party I saw the flag retreat was going on. I haven't ever watched this at WDW but I have watched it a lot at Disneyland. I was just as good as Disneyland's as I watched it from the train station.

I like the flag retreat---I've watched it from both the WDW train station and also in front of city hall. It's a very moving ceremony, and so nice that Disney does this.

With this one I didn't really realize that the ornament prop wasn't fully anchored and I almost knocked it off the stand.I'm a bit of a klutz.

Ha ha ha!! That sounds like something I'd do! :joyfull:

Lastly, I enjoyed the evening pictures you took--especially of the lights on the castle.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I like the flag retreat---I've watched it from both the WDW train station and also in front of city hall. It's a very moving ceremony, and so nice that Disney does this.

Ha ha ha!! That sounds like something I'd do! :joyfull:

Lastly, I enjoyed the evening pictures you took--especially of the lights on the castle.

I think next time I will make a point of watching the whole flag retreat since I only caught the last part here. Both Brad and I really enjoy the program in Disneyland.

And that picture with the ornament prop, I should have known it wasn't anchored well I watched enough people ahead of me move it too but oh well. I wish the photopass would have taken a picture of me almost knocking it over that would have been really funny!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I still needed a seat for the parade and after I took my toy solider picture I looked over and there was a spot in the middle of the street by the emporium right by the rope. Just a small spot by a stroller and a family, just big enough for one person! I walked over there and asked the family if they were saving the spot and they said no so I sat down.

This was the view from my spot.
IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

The pre-parade was fun. This lady was really good with the kids around me. It was fun to watch the kids dancing and playing ball with her. Sorry the picture is blurry, she didn't slow down much.
IMG_0505.JPG

And then the parade started. I really love this parade. I spend most of my time looking forward to the toy soldiers, sometimes I wish they were at the start like Disneyland's Christmas parade so I didn't spend my time thinking about them during the whole parade. Sorry for some of the blurry picture, I was having some issues figuring out settings, at the same time trying to enjoy the parade.
IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

Pixieish

So I still needed a seat for the parade and after I took my toy solider picture I looked over and there was a spot in the middle of the street by the emporium right by the rope. Just a small spot by a stroller and a family, just big enough for one person! I walked over there and asked the family if they were saving the spot and they said no so I sat down.

This was the view from my spot.
View attachment 247669

View attachment 247663

View attachment 247670

The pre-parade was fun. This lady was really good with the kids around me. It was fun to watch the kids dancing and playing ball with her. Sorry the picture is blurry, she didn't slow down much.
View attachment 247664

And then the parade started. I really love this parade. I spend most of my time looking forward to the toy soldiers, sometimes I wish they were at the start like Disneyland's Christmas parade so I didn't spend my time thinking about them during the whole parade. Sorry for some of the blurry picture, I was having some issues figuring out settings, at the same time trying to enjoy the parade.
View attachment 247671

View attachment 247672

View attachment 247673

View attachment 247674

View attachment 247665
I always have that problem too! I constantly tell myself I need to practice, then life gets in the way.

You got a fantastic spot!!

Pixieish

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom