Grand Floridian

Marijil

Splurging at GF for 10th anniversary....hear alot of negatives....are we making mistake?? Anyone have positive feedback?

Invero

I was able to get my parents a room there last January... hrmm... maybe 2 januarys ago... But at any rate... Let's just say my parents have been spoiled, and never want to go anyplace else. They *LOVED* it. I was able to get them a MK Lagoon view... absolute breathtaking view.... My parents are early risers, so they got to see the sunrise over the Contemporary & MK... the fireworks... My father, who loves to spend time relaxing at the resort and reading, while my mother and I play in the parks, he loved the grounds... They just missed Christmas, which happens to be the most gorgeous time to visit... simply amazing there.

Make sure to let Disney know it's your anniversary... Usually, if they have things available, they might even be able to upgrade you... or often times they leave a lil anniversary surprise in your room. (Not always available... but... ya never know)

At any rate... I promise that you'll love the Grand Floridian. And, if after one night, you don't... you can have my apartment, and I'll take the Grand Floridian. :p

Upvote 0

Katherine

I think the Travel channel is doing a Great Hotels episode from there soon. I kept seeing things about it when I was watch it about the Beach and Yacht Resorts:lookaroun ! I'm not sure when but they might have it on www.travelchannel.com.

Not sure if this i'll help:animwink: .

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Originally posted by Marijil
Splurging at GF for 10th anniversary....hear alot of negatives....are we making mistake?? Anyone have positive feedback?

Mistake? Absolutely not! The GF is wonderful. DW and I honeymooned there and spent the first part of our 2nd anniversary there as well. Both times were wonderful, though the first time was more magical.

For our honeymoon in '99, we splurged and did an extended grand plan. We stayed in a honeymoon room overlooking the Lagoon and had a beautiful view of Cinderella Castle from our balcony. It was a conceirge room, though it was not on one of the conceirge levels (in the main building, levels 3 and up); from the main lobby, you had to go up to the third floor, then over to another elevator and down to this area on the second floor. Quite nice and isolated. The conceriges were _incredibly_ nice. Additionally, we were there in mid-November, right as they were putting up the Christmas decorations. It was very interesting to see the place change over as our time progressed. (Plus, the gingerbread smell was frightfully good.)

I've put some pics I took of the GF on our honeymoon at http://www.pbase.com/sigsegv/grand_floridian

I have other pics from other visits that I hope to put up there sometime, but probably not right away.

I'm trying to think of negatives for the GF and only can think of two: price and location. Price is obvious and location isn't _that_ bad (no worse and a bit better than other deluxe resorts). It's just not as great a location for DW and me with respect to our other most favorite resort: BWV.

Anyway, I'm sure your parents will have a wonderful time at the GF. Don't sweat it. It's a great place.

-sig

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Originally posted by Katherine
I think the Travel channel is doing a Great Hotels episode from there soon. I kept seeing things about it when I was watch it about the Beach and Yacht Resorts:lookaroun ! I'm not sure when but they might have it on www.travelchannel.com.

Not sure if this i'll help:animwink: .

DW and I saw that a couple months ago. (Well, that is, if you're referring to the Geat Hotels episode.) It was pretty nice, but didn't really catch the magic of the GF. They 've also had shows on the Yacht Club, AKL, and WL. I'm not sure if they've had ones on other WDW resorts. Anyone else know?

-sig

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

I have never actually stayed at GF, but as best I know the only mistake in staying there will be that it will spoil you for any place else! :lol:

Upvote 0

Bryy2001

Grand Floridian is unbelievable, seriously, it's THAT good. Of all the Disney resorts, it is the most amazing, you will never forget your stay at GF, I've stayed there probably 5 or 6 times and every Disney resort is awesome, but GF is beyond comparison. You'll have an unforgettable time!

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
Make sure to let Disney know it's your anniversary... Usually, if they have things available, they might even be able to upgrade you... or often times they leave a lil anniversary surprise in your room. (Not always available... but... ya never know)

Absolutely!!!!

We just came back from our 3rd anniversary at Boardwalk Inn. 3-4 days before we got there, we faxed our room request to the room arranger at the Boardwalk. I explained it was our anniversary and could they get us a room with a good view of the fireworks at Epcot.

Well we got a perfect top floor room with a great view of Spaceship Earth and the World Showcase right from our balcony.

They even brought us a little gift of some chocolates and liquors with a happy anniversary card from the Boardwalk Staff.

We even got special treatment at various restaurants. When the cast members that seated us asked where we were from and why we came, we just told them we were on our anniversary. The rest was left up to Disney magic.

Just expect an extremely loud recognition if you go to Alfredo's.

Congrats on 10 years and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Frank4669

The GF is a great place to stay. If you go off-season you can usually get a pretty good deal. The grounds are awesome and the service is exceptional. These other posters are right when they say you won't want to go anywhere else. My wife and kids went there last year during the Christmas season and we all thought it was GREAT. We stayed a couple of extra days at the AKL, whata downgrade! You'll Love the GF. Congratulations and have fun.

Upvote 0

Eljay

Citrico's

I recommend dinner at Citrico's if they want something a little less formal than Vickie & Al's. Try "wine pairing" with your meal there. A specially chosen glass to compliment each course. Oh boy! What a taste sensation! (It's good that you can just stumble to your room after!)

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Re: Citrico's

Originally posted by Eljay
I recommend dinner at Citrico's if they want something a little less formal than Vickie & Al's. Try "wine pairing" with your meal there. A specially chosen glass to compliment each course. Oh boy! What a taste sensation! (It's good that you can just stumble to your room after!)

DW and I have had a 50/50 experince with Citricos. We loved it the first time, but were disappointed when we went again a year later. The room is beautiful and the server we had the first time was incredible, but the second time we went the food was so-so and the service wasn't anything to write home about. Of course, one of those times could have been exceptions and I'm inclined to think that the latter was.

V&A's is very impressive. The service was great too. If you've got a gourmet palate, it's well worth it, but, if you're like me, only go if your SO really likes gourmet food. BTW, dinner at V&A's is pretty long, so if you're signed up for the late seating, make sure you're not that tired. (DW and I went the night after our wedding, when we only got about 2 hours of sleep. I speak from expreience when I tell you that the table cloths are very soft on the cheek. ;) ).

-sig

Upvote 0

Tramp

Upvote 0

orangefan15

Re: Re: Grand Floridian

Originally posted by Tramp

I'm interested to know exactly what 'negatives' you heard.:)

I've heard a bunch of negatives as well, but chose to ignore them and we will be staying at the GF in December.

As to what I've heard, most common complaint is that the GF doesn't have the same "magic" as the other resorts. Also, the cast members don't go out of their way to do anything special for guests unless they are honeymooners. Also heard that other guests are a bit "snooty" and will look down on those who obviously don't come from the upper class.

Honestly, I'm not sure I believe all of that...either way, I wouldn't let it ruin my trip to WDW.

Upvote 0

Invero

Re: Re: Re: Grand Floridian

Originally posted by orangefan15
Also, the cast members don't go out of their way to do anything special for guests unless they are honeymooners.

QUITE the contrary... :)

Upvote 0
I've stayed at the Floridian...and on other occasions we've gone there just to walk around and enjoy it's beauty....I've only encountered the best service and nicest of people.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom