Grand Floridian Spa closing

NikiMouse

The preliminary information we are currently receiving is that Disney will be arranging transportation from the monorail resorts to SSR. I have not experienced it myself, but I have had several clients and friends tell me that the SSR spas is the best on property. If you are going to move your reservations, I would move them there. Absolute worst case scenario is that you will need to take a cab. If you want to plus it a bit skip the cab and the Disney transportation and go with a limo. Limo's is the Disney area are plentiful and relatively affordable.

I would also recommend the SSR spa. I have had a massage treatment at SSR (3 yrs ago) and it was the BEST massage I have ever had in my life. (more pricey or course). They also had what I think was a eucalyptus (sp?) spa and you could just go down and enjoy that after your treatment and it was included. It was very nice.

Biff215

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but my wife has always said that the GF spa is way better than SSR. It's a shame to see it closing, but you would have to assume that it will be included in the new DVC building and will most likely be even better. Given the location of the building, I would think that the construction will not interfere too much with the GF itself. I'd be more concerned if I was having a wedding in that timeframe.

dave&di

We're staying at the GF Sept 2012 :( Any preditions of the mess I will be staying in? We've booked Lagoon view, I was hoping for 'Boca Chica'. Will we be overlooking a construction site? How far in advance can we transfer? Will it cost us?

^^^^Anyone? :wave:

Kamikaze

^^^^Anyone? :wave:

You can change up to 45 days out without penalty.

As far as the construction, its hard for us to know at this point. But considering you're staying at the highest price point on property, I think Disney will take every precaution possible to keep the impact as low as they can.

71jason

The Spa employs probably 100+ people who most likely will be out of work. Most are probably struggling to survive as it is and will now go on unemployment.

That number sounds high, but in any case, credit where it is due, WDW is actually very good at reassigning full-time CMs when the venue they work at closes. I imagine most if not all full-time spa CMs will have a job somewhere on property.

dave&di

You can change up to 45 days out without penalty.As far as the construction, its hard for us to know at this point. But considering you're staying at the highest price point on property, I think Disney will take every precaution possible to keep the impact as low as they can.

Thanks Kamikaze, thats handy to know, last year we stayed at the Poly so if we have to we'll go back there.:(

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
I've been on hold and transferred around for about 10 minutes. I just got conformation that it is indeed being closed. She was actually shocked that I had called so quickly to confirm that it was indeed closing. I'm currently on hold trying to move the reservations to the Contemporary. :(

I love how the one thing on Disney property that I would normally not ever care about has really affected my plans. Oh well here's to last minute changes. I was dreading having to figure out a way to get everyone to Saratoga Springs or somewhere like that. At least with the Contemporary resort it's a fairly quick ride on the monorail.

oh well.:shrug:

Sorry, this interferes with your plans.

Bus? They're too cheap to send them by monorail? :rolleyes:

:lookaroun

:lol:

I have to agree that SSR has the best spa on property.

Does anyone have a sketch or picture of what the GF DVC will look like?

olinecoach61

Welcome to the forums... Interesting choice of a first post.

What about the hundreds of people who will now have jobs doing the construction and manufacturing the construction materials and equipment, and will then have jobs at the new DVC wing, selling it, cleaning it, maintaining it, etc.

I just hope he's not planning on using conflict diamonds mined by a 5 year old orphan in South Africa...
Ha ha!

I certainly hope this is not true.

I understand the need for improvements and re-refurbishments, and I've seen the posts with people upset that something will be closed while they are on their trip. But I happen to be in this boat right now.

I've been saving for 2 + years for a trip I've been calling super trip. 8 Days at the Poly with all the bells and whistles I could muster up. I plan on proposing to my girlfriend on the first of October with her parents and my parents flying down as a surprise. and I booked a spa treatment for all the ladies which cost a pretty penny and I have all my plans based around this. I don't want to re-plan out my entire proposal that I have been trying to make perfect for a year.

OMG I hope that doesn't happen to you, that would be horrible for sure. :( let's hope to heck not. :wave:

prncsintrng

That number sounds high, but in any case, credit where it is due, WDW is actually very good at reassigning full-time CMs when the venue they work at closes. I imagine most if not all full-time spa CMs will have a job somewhere on property.

Yes Disney is great at reassigning full time CM's, however, the Spa is not owned by Disney.

A huge thanks to the people that are reading this and actually understand what I am trying to say. I'm not trying to "ruin" someone's proposal just trying to make him understand that while this is an inconvenience and his plans may have to change many people are about to lose their job. Let's try to make this world a little less selfish....

prncsintrng

Sorry, but thats not his problem. He didn't hire them, he was in fact trying to continue their employment by using their services. He doesn't have anything to 'think' about. This has to do with the DVC construction, and nothing can be done about that.

Didn't say he hired them and I clearly see what he was trying to do.

Are you one of the Disney Imagineers that you know for sure the project is DVC?

miles1

That seems a selfish and arrogant statement. Apparently you don't have much empathy for the plight of others. I feel sorry for you.

Please don't take this personally Did Knee, but your post just knocked me off my chair with laughter. You've just drawn some major conclusions about a stranger's personality based on a vomiting emoticon. Maybe you should cut back on caffeine a little?

disneyrcks

Yes Disney is great at reassigning full time CM's, however, the Spa is not owned by Disney.

A huge thanks to the people that are reading this and actually understand what I am trying to say. I'm not trying to "ruin" someone's proposal just trying to make him understand that while this is an inconvenience and his plans may have to change many people are about to lose their job. Let's try to make this world a little less selfish....

I understand what you are trying to say and I appreciate your good intentions but some people save for years to be able to have a vacation. He has every right to be put out by this! It will be terrible if the people at this spa get put out of work but he still deserves the vacation he scrimped and saved for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom