Grand Floridian Building Request Question

Mousebounce

We are visiting Disney for the first time in Nov. and are staying at the GF in a garden view room. I was wondering which building at the GF would be the closest to the monorail? We have a two year old, so I wanted to try and be as close as possible! Thanks for any help!

DonaldDoleWhip

The closest building with non-concierge garden view rooms would be Big Pine Key

Here's a map of the hotel. The entrance to the Main Building from the exterior buildings is right next to the DVC information center.

Have fun at the GF, it's amazing!

Upvote 0

Philo

Just wanted to quickly say that you might not be granted your request. Disney will normally go out of their way to accomodate you but don't pin all your hopes on getting in the requested building.

Whatever happens - I'm sure you will have an amazing time!

Upvote 0

Mousebounce

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the information! I haven't got my hopes up that I will get the building that I request, but I figure it is worth a shot. Either way I am just happy to be going!

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

It helps the CM's, at all resorts, if a request also includes a brief reason, like 'Request Big Pine Key to be close to monorail'.

That way they'll have some leeway to find a similar room if that one is not available.

:)

Upvote 0
We stayed at GF last October and I requested a room in Big Pine Key and got it. I used the directions on the All Ears website (that includes a sample request letter) and faxed it so many days before as directed (can't remember specifically). Our reason was my husband had injured his knee and wearing a brace. Good luck.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

We stayed at GF last October and I requested a room in Big Pine Key and got it. I used the directions on the All Ears website (that includes a sample request letter) and faxed it so many days before as directed (can't remember specifically). Our reason was my husband had injured his knee and wearing a brace. Good luck.

This used to be the standard way of making a request. And I'm glad it worked for you. However, starting about 1 1/2 years ago (or maybe more), they changed the system. Now they expect you to put your special requests into the system through central reservations. You can do that as far in advance as you like, and you can call and change it at any time.

Here are some pointers from JPVonDrake, who is always very helpful. I'll PM him to see if he has any updates, as this was over a year ago that he posted this:

Let me be of some help...

We have been instructed at the Reservation Center that ALL of the Disney Resort Hotels will no longer accept or consider any room request faxed or mailed to them. If you try to call the resort directly before you check-in, the switchboard is instructed to redirect your call to the reservation center, not the front desk.

The best time to make requests for specific rooms, buildings, bedding, ground-floor, connecting rooms, etc. is when you first book the reservation or as early as possible after your reservation is made. Please note, we at the reservation center have a VERY limited space to enter in room request, so please limit your requests.

When you call to make any modifications, please have the reservation agent verify any requests you have previously made are still there. Due to system challenges, the accommodations comment box on a reservation may clear when a modification is confirmed, erasing any requests that were noted. To ensure they are correctly re-entered, please ask us to read back to you what is there.

The resort room coordinators will do their best to honor as many request as possible, but will factor in the number of request made. For example if you have 10 different request and another guest made 1 or 2 requests, you may get some of the 10 honored, and the other guest may get all of their request honored. Although the Resort may start pre-assigning rooms up to 2-3 days prior to your arrival, your room assignment is never finalized or guaranteed until you have arrived and are checked-in to your resort. No one at DRC or the Resort itself will be able to disclosed what (if any) pre-assignments have been made, so please don't ask.

Please try to be general in your request avoiding requests for specific room numbers. If you simply request room 1004 (because you know it is the closest to the bus stop) and it is not available, the resort does not know how to honor it. If you simply request a room close to transportation, and room 1004 is not available, the resort may assign you room 1003 or 1005, honoring the general request you made. Also, bedding options are continuously being reviewed so the number and location of select bedding (i.e. king beds) may change at any time. Just because room 1234 had a king bed last year does not mean it still has a king bed this year.

Be sure to ask your reservation agent to verify if your request is even possible. For example, if you are booked in 2 standard (parking) view rooms at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, and you want connecting rooms, it cannot be honored, as there are no connecting standard view rooms at the Lodge. Many rooms now also have limited bedding configurations. Request for king beds, or bunk beds may not be possible because there are none in the room category you are booked in.

Also please keep in mind, rooms such as the Preferred Rooms at the Value Resorts are charged a preferred priced because they are the closest to the main building with the Food Court, Bus Stop, Front Desk, etc. Please do not request to be near these locations if you are booked in a standard room. These type of request can not be honored or even considered as it is essentially asking for a free upgrade.

Finally, remember nothing will guarantee you get your requests; that really will always depend on what rooms are scheduled to be vacant on the date you check-in. Often there are only a few rooms in your room category for the room coordinators or front desk Cast to choose from.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Mousebounce

Original Poster
Wow, that is very useful. I will wait and see how he responds to your PM before trying to call. Thank you. BTW, forget the concierge floor. Number one it is booked and number two it is 700 dollars a night! I am sure it is worth it, but I will stick to my garden view and walk if I have too! :)

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

To confirm...

My above post does still hold true. Remember, like any type of change or modification, you will need to contact the original booking source to add room requests. If you booked directly with Disney, call us; if you booked with a Travel Agent you will need to contact them to add your requests.

To answer the above question about Club Level Concierge both the Royal Palm Club and Sugar Loaf Club now offer the same amenities and services and both offer alcoholic beverages, to those of age of course.

To the original poster, the entire Grand Floridian Resort and Spa covers only 40 acres, so even if they are unable to honor your request for the building you want, you will not be that far from the main building and monorail platform.

Enjoy your stay with us!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom