Gran Fiesta Tour - New Animatronics

orlando210

I'll always prefer El Rio del Tiempo to this BUT this is a good addition. They should have had this done from the beginning. Disney looking for money to make this happen?? REALLY? They are rolling in it- if only they wanted to use it. Maybe now its time for the Yeti.

Agreed on El Rio del Tiempo being better. This is a good addition though. I wish they would bring back the music throughout, but especially at the end - "la la, la-la-la, la- la la, la la la...":happy:

NMBC1993

The animatronics have such a limited range of motion compared to the animated versions on the screens.

First of all I want to say I love the new (old?) animatronics. I was actually planning my Sunday trip to Epcot for the last day of Captain EO this evening and thought "eh, maybe I'll swing into Mexico to look at the marketplace." Now I definitely have to! Although, after watching the video a few times and reading Endor's comment, I was thinking that maybe keeping the screen as well would have been a better idea. Animate some new backgrounds and effects for the screen and have the animatronics out front as the stars.

Personally it would have tied everything together more than just an empty stage background. But I realize that would have been a lot more effort to put into and should be happy we received any kind of positive love for Epcot (even though, yes. It's character related).

Phroobar

Does the beginning still have that trip through a Mayan temple? I remember riding this wondering if something like a human sacrifice would happen or something else exciting and nothing ever did.

The new AAs look like a fun addition to the ride.

MerlinTheGoat

Looks like the general consensus is that people are pleased with this addition.

I had assumed Endor Sightseer was being sarcastic, perhaps not though. A lot of people on these forums are sick of seeing so many video screens instead of physical scenes, we want more animatronic-heavy rides again. While there are movements that you can do with video that you can't with AA's, seeing the characters in real physical form moving about is always something special that no amount of crazy animated video can substitute in a ride.

While they're not the most advanced figures ever (no eye or eyelid motion for instance), they were definitely upgraded to move substantially better compared to their most recent appearance at Tokyo Disneyland. Far more fluid than this-

Limited motion would describe something like the old figures in rides like Snow White or Peter Pan's Flight (or our version of Pooh). Or many of the minor figures in the new Little Mermaid ride. Very repetitive and simple arm gestures or head nodding/turning, not what i'd consider actual animatronics. These at least are legit audio animatronics with relatively fluid and dynamic motion.

Didn't I read somewhere that AAs are so 20th century? Actually, I think it's a great addition with a stamp that definitely says "Disney."
The figures were from an old show from the 1970's yes, but they've been noticeably upgraded for their installation at Mexico. Compare them to the most recent videos when they were still at Mickey Mouse Revue at Tokyo Disneyland, it's quite apparent that their movements are now substantially more fluid than this. Again compare to the video I posted above.

Does the beginning still have that trip through a Mayan temple? I remember riding this wondering if something like a human sacrifice would happen or something else exciting and nothing ever did.
Beginning is still the same as it always was. Though there used to be fog effects that have been disabled since Donald and company took over.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I wonder what happened to the other set of Caballeros they made for the Revue. Could see them being put into the Small World doll scene.

Not sure But, this is what they looked like at Destination D before their modifications....

Destination D
IMG_6358a.jpg

Gran Fiesta...
1180w-600h_the-three-caballeros-animatronics-b-780x440.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

Also you know what this ride needs more of instead of just a very very quick cameo....The Araquan Bird.....

Incase your wondering where you can find him...He's in the section where Donald is wearing the tower of somberos.
hqdefault.jpg

It was a screen with animations of them singing.
oft_blog_gft_11-19-12.jpg

Fun Fact: The animation process that Eric Goldberg used to give the characters a shading dimension was first used in Looney Tunes: Back in Action...Gran Fiesta was the second time it was actually used.
image1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom