Grade F for Eisner

Shaman

I'm no expert or anything, and I'm definetly not an Eisner fan, but I think that the reason he got that bonus (last year I think), was to make sure that he would not leave (especially as things got worst when it came to how much money Disney was losing). And Disney isn't the only one, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they are now doing in the airline companies aswell, they give the CEOs money to make sure they don't jump ship as their companies get worst.

It looks like things are getting better, however I do think that if Disney does not come out of this slump that Eisner's days may be numbered, in the end profits are what count. In the past he's proven to have been a good CEO. He made Disney what it is today (including the good and the bad). Maybe instead of trying to pay him to stay they should just get rid of him and put someone else in the hot seat. Just my opinion.:hammer:

Pioneer Hall

The problem with people who look at him in these situations, haven't tracked him through his entire career. Remember if it wasn't for Eisner being hired back in the 80's there was a chance that the Walt Disney Company was going to sell and no one would have known the fate of the parks today. Eisner saved the Walt Disney Company and it was people like Paul Pressler and their bad choices that make Eisner look bad.

Compare the Eisner with Pressler to the Eisner with Rasulo. Notice how much more is getting done now that they are trying to fix everything Pressler messed up. So even though we were all mad at Eisner before, I think he is doing a much better job now.

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
The problem with people who look at him in these situations, haven't tracked him through his entire career.

Hmmmm.......FORBES is the one who graded Him. They surely know a bit about his career performance........

:lookaroun

TURKEY

I'd give Eisner an F for the past year when it's based on his salary, bonus, and options compared to what the company made.

He doesn't deserved to get blamed for all the bad that's happened, but his compensation is too much.

Sherm00

I think eisner is a very good business man, but now he is just getting old. i give him 5 more years top untill he retires. he is a good financier that pulled disney out of the slump of the 80's. Pressler is a good merchendiser, pressler is not an entertainer. I don't know about the new guy. I think pressler will do wonderfull things for the gap (and pressler if your reading this a line for large people would be awesome) . now that disney has someone from the entertainment field alot is being done to fix . but there is still a long way to go. I think things are going to get better in the next 5 years, new rides are already announced old ones being referebed, etc ( no for my prediction) In the height of rebuilding disney, eisner I think will take his money and go, I give him another 5 to 6 years tops. and he is going to take a retirement but still have a large steak in the business. he will be able to sit back in his cozy mansion and sit pretty for the rest of his life.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Sherm00
and he is going to take a retirement but still have a large steak in the business. he will be able to sit back in his cozy mansion and sit pretty for the rest of his life.

Based on what we are seeing in the new regime, with Jay Rasulo, I would say if this trend continues, as it seems it will, Mike deserves to be able to finally relax and retire a rich man. While I was not impressed with the time between about 1999 and the end of 2002, things are certainly looking up for the parks with such set projects as SPACE, PhilharMagic, Pop Century, EVEREST, and Time Racer, along with the very probable Soarin' attraction, and a possible Indy Adventure. This is a very exciting time for Disney, a time of expansion, I think, like the 90s were. With all honesty, I think Jay Rasulo is saving Eisner's butt from the shareholders. Imagine, building multiple $100,000,000 attractions and still making money. This should be good. I honestly think that Pressler almost overstepped his bounds when he was in charge of Parks and Resorts, and blocked projects from ever actually reaching Eisner's desk, because it is clear he is willing to approve big name projects. Perhaps Pressler's overstepping and the fact that he was not only ruining his own reputation, but that of Eisner and the Walt Disney Company at large are the reason for him leaving (I would think Eisner asked him to step down...as he and CERTAINLY Rasulo will soon do with Cynthia Harriss--Jay is NOT pleased with Cynthia...). Jay really is a good guy--he is perfect for this position, as he truly cares about fixing the parks. Mike's compensation may be too high, but I still support him as CEO.

bhg469

hey i think he needs that money how else is he going to keep 20,000 leagues under the sea running in his back yard, stealing my boyhood dreams doesn't come cheap. plus that monorail he is building, to deliver money to his house 24 hours a day isnt free.

Dayma

hey i think he needs that money how else is he going to keep 20,000 leagues under the sea running in his back yard

Hey I wander if I can take a ride in his backyard...hmmmmmm

Eisner did save Disney in the 80's and looks to be doing a lot to the parks now to improve them. The one thing I dont like is the TV stations they own. I think that they can do without the cept Disney Channel.

I do belive that Eisner may be "growing a little long in the tooth" but if they are going to replace him it better be somebody very very good because I like the direction they have been going in the last two years...

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by matt&helen
The grade of F was based on Eisner's performance for the last six years, not his entire career with Disney.

Thank You...

And as you can see the last six years were the Pressler years. Rasulo comes in and there is a nice turn around.

Main Street USA

The problem with people who look at him in these situations, haven't tracked him through his entire career. Remember if it wasn't for Eisner being hired back in the 80's there was a chance that the Walt Disney Company was going to sell and no one would have known the fate of the parks today. Eisner saved the Walt Disney Company and it was people like Paul Pressler and their bad choices that make Eisner look bad.

Compare the Eisner with Pressler to the Eisner with Rasulo. Notice how much more is getting done now that they are trying to fix everything Pressler messed up. So even though we were all mad at Eisner before, I think he is doing a much better job now.

You are 100% correct. Thank you for a decent post amidst all of the Eisner bashing, which is based on next to nothing.

Gee, why don't we all just pick out all of the bad things and ignore the fact that he saved WDW as a whole. :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Main Street USA
You are 100% correct. Thank you for a decent post amidst all of the Eisner bashing, which is based on next to nothing.

Gee, why don't we all just pick out all of the bad things and ignore the fact that he saved WDW as a whole. :rolleyes:

Exactly! I honestly don't see how people can complain when we are getting SPACE, Phil, Everest, Time Racer, and Pop Century...it's an exciting time for Disney!

Becky

The Disney BoD hired Eisner which was good:D

Eisner hired Frank Wells:) which was Great:)

Unfortunately for both Disney and Eisner Mr. Wells died:cry:

There was only one Walt and only one Frank.:cry:

Matt56

Confirmation

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Exactly! I honestly don't see how people can complain when we are getting SPACE, Phil, Everest, Time Racer, and Pop Century...it's an exciting time for Disney!

Has Time Racers or Soarin been confirmed yet? Do you you think the grand opening for space will double and an announcement for these two attractions?

TURKEY

I'm not trying to bash Eisner, but do you realistically think he deserved the millions and millions he made over the past few years when profits were down, pay isn't that great for most cast members, the company has gone through at least 3 hiring freezes, 3000 something people were laid off, hours were cut, etc?

I'm glad he's rescued the company. I'm glad he was able to expand to where Disney is today. I just don't think he deserves all the money and options he is getting.

At least he's not getting a boost in compensation when unions are having to take pay cuts to try and keep a business out of bankrupcy, like the recent CEO of American Airlines was.

Blizz

Yes yes yes, but also realize that when Eisner had his glorious turn around for Disney, Frank Wells was still #2 at disney. In Eisner's own book he admits that Frank pretty much made up his mind. Well without Frank he has been making crappy decisions. I know, after Frank his sons and him got the idea for Splash Mountian, wow, one good idea for how many bad ones.....

Now I know once you have gone so high, all you can do is fall, well Disney is falling, and hard.

I just wonder what would have happened if Ovitz had signed onto Disney, for all we know Eisner might have gotten the boot.

Blizz

Originally posted by DogsRule!

Dont hold your breath for Project Gemini. And I wont give Eisner credit for anything until I ride it.

i don't/didn't want to sound like I am bashing Eisner, but what has he done latly, I mean one ride and a resort that took close to 2 years longer to open. I mean its not like the man creates the rides, he just says yes or no to ideas and hard work others do.

I agree with you turkey leg boy, why give him millions for doing almost nothing.

Woody13

I think the Bass Brothers did the right thing in hiring Uncle Mike and I want to stick with him. He's done good (really GREAT) things for Disney. I am going to miss him when he's gone. He should keep the CEO job as long as he desires.

In 1996 Michael Eisner renewed his ten year contract as follows:
Base pay: $750,000 per year
New options: 8 million shares, hypothetically worth $195,4 million.
Existing stock options:6.7 million shares, worth $358 million today.
Bonus: Varies based on financial performance, but capped at $15 million a year for the first two years.

I think he's worth every penny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom