GotG:MB was not a direct result of Iger/Chapek wanting to stuff IP in the parks

lazyboy97o

I do agree that the Disney PR will always try to save face and protect it's higher ups and image, I did find it surprising they so definitively laid the idea for Galaxy's Edge to be based on the new trilogy at the feet of Bob, I'm assuming Iger. Instead of deflecting it to an imagineer decision the show stated that the imagineers came up with ideas that weren't of the modern trilogy until Bob requested it be the new films. The imagineers hadn't even seen the movies by then.

With that being an astronomically expensive project, and the disappoint many fans have in it being based on the modern as apposed to the legendary Star Wars years, I found it surprising they were able to lay the decision on one of the Bobs. It shows though how misguided it was, because at the opening of Galaxy's Edge in California Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, George Lucas were there, but I don't remember a single person from the new trilogy shown.
It’s not surprising at all. It’s a legacy thing. “Look at what I have built.” It’s why Shanghai Disneyland is so physically massive but empty. Galaxy’s Edge is the biggest physical alteration to Disneyland since Walt Disney was alive. We’re seeing the same thing at Epcot with the demolition of CommuniCore so that it could be replaced by a starchitect designed table. Massive physical changes that literally cement a legacy.

Last edited:

mysto

Somehow I remember the licensing for the TZ IP went up in price. Disney starts moving towards retheme, and with the looming threat of $0 in royalties the TZ owners backed off, saving WDWs ride from the retheme.

No inside info here, I was just following the forums at the time.

lazyboy97o

Somehow I remember the licensing for the TZ IP went up in price. Disney starts moving towards retheme, and with the looming threat of $0 in royalties the TZ owners backed off, saving WDWs ride from the retheme.

That’s was just stuff made up by people to try and justify the change.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

That’s was just stuff made up by people to try and justify the change.

Exactly. It's what the pro-retheme people kept regurgitating because they heard it from the bus driver's cousin's friend. Or they just wanted to justify it without having a single clue what was really going on.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I haven't seen the GB episode yet.

Was there no mention of GB being chosen to be part of a Marvel Superhero land?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Like many others on this forum, I had believed that Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout was a decision from the Bob's. That was until Behind the Attraction aired today and shed new light onto the situation.
In it, it stated that around June 2016, Imagineers were tasked with getting a new attraction up and running by Memorial Day 2017, no specifics on what it needed to be or what it was themed on. As it was a short deadline and due to lack of space(explained in Imagineering Story), they did not have the time to build up a new attraction, so they looked at changing up an existing attraction. They brought in Joe Rhode to help them choose what ride, and his eyes set on the Tower of Terror as he didn't view it in his eyes as a hotel and instead just a structure that can be modified to look as something else besides a hotel. It was settled, the Tower of Terror would be rethemed, but they had no clue on what to retheme it to and have it be an easy job. Coincidentally, GotG Volume 2 was being worked on at the time and the Imagineers liked the first movie, so they decided to theme it on that IP. Again due to time constraints, they could not really modify the ride system either, so they only had time to reskin and reprogram the ride.

What this says is that it was never Bob Iger's and Chapek's decision to specifically target Tower of Terror in DCA for a Guardians of the Galaxy retheme, but rather the Imagineers decision(specifically Rhode) due to time constraints. Tower of Terror in DCA was getting a retheme even before Guardians was considered, and if they had more time, they would of made it even more drastically different than what it is currently, or even avoided the casualty of the ToT completely and chose something different. This also puts to rest the rumor of Tower of Terror getting rethemed due to the cost of the CBS license.
I highly recommend watching the episode as it goes much more deeper than what I explained here.
If you really believed that Disney polished "behind the scenes" story at face value then I GOT some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona.

WEDfan9798

It’s not surprising at all. It’s a legacy thing. “Look at what I have built.” It’s why Shanghai Disneyland is so physically massive but empty. Galaxy’s Edge is the biggest physical alteration to Disneyland since Walt Disney was alive. We’re seeing the same thing at Epcot with the demolition of CommuniCore so that it could be replaced by a starchitect designed table. Massive physical changes that literally cement a legacy.
You're right sadly, my friend.

Rodj

Original Poster
I meant to include at the end of my post that it could be entirely possible that Disney could not be telling the truth either, but I was making the post at 4 AM with no sleep, so it left my mind entirely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom