Got Your Insider Updates Right Here

fyn

If they're keeping the same number of simulators/bays, then they could just close half of the ride where the queue branches to the right and left. The work on the queue wouldn't take nearly as long as the ride itself, so that closure would be minimal.

theRIOT

Interactivity part dumb?

Huh? What?

Would you really call it dumb when half-way through your ride Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper come busting in and address people in the cabin personally?

COME ON!

That is what I envision for the puppet AA's. How much fun would that be?

I dare you WDI. I double dog dare you. Do it. Up the ante.

Go ahead, make my millenium.

Cheers!

Champion

It will probably be Star Tours:Subtitle

Also doubtful.

Uncle George has jumped on the Expanded Universe bandwagon since Star Tours was created, and he has made sure to carry the full Star Wars title on everything he licenses.

The new ride will be
Star Wars: TitleGoesHere

I guess it could be something like 'The Star Wars Experience' but I'm sure it will carry Star Wars in the name.

This is without taking into account the dumb dumbs of the world that couldn't figure out that Star Tours was based on Star Wars just by the name.

rdour@techminds

A followup to technobabble:

Ah, forgot about the DTS lossless format for hard ddisk based recordings. But I still hate Ac3, I can hear the imperfections. DVDs unfortunately cap the bandwidth at 448 Kbps. This just isn't really good, no wonder my old LaserDisc movies with DTS tracks sound better. In fact, the PCM 2 track audio from my old LaserDiscs sound better than the AC3 2 channel equiv. presentation.

About the phone stuff, yeah, phones just suck. THey don't need to, but they do. We've all been conditioned to just accept them as they are. Thanks to Low Delay AAC and proprietary systems like Skype, we'll all have greater expectations. The day is coming where we finally do get to have video conversations that equal the old closed circuit TV feeds from CommuniCore. I remember being a little kid and my parents letting me make our dining reservation. Only in the last year or two have I had the opportunity to experience such quality again. Obviously the closed circuit TV feeds in two directions weren't the answer, but VOIP technology is. Companies like Verizon want to crush this technology, because they no longer would be able to get away with such crappy phone quality and service. Yes everyone, the future is already here, but the corporate structure and user acceptance are not. VOIP is here to stay, and eventually we'll see the traditional telecom companies take advantage of the potential. Verizon is doing one thing right, in limited areas they're providing fiber right to your home. However, they want all services on that fiber to be provided by them. If they concentrate on providing the transport and leave the other services up to 3rd parties they would do a good honest business. Greed is going to get the best of them, I know it.

Ryan

P.S. For those who think this is out of bounds for this thread, you're probably right. But the thread was about tech being used for attractions, and so we talk tech, this time about audio quality and IMAX.

KevinPage

What are these puppet AA's? AA's that can be controlled by humans to interact? What people seem to be mentioning is live performers dressed in costumes. Or so it seems :shrug:

Give me an AA over live human on a ride every time. :D

theRIOT

No, no, no.

I don't want them to be a man in a suit.

I would prefer an AA. But I do love the idea of it being a Roz-type AA from the Monster's Inc. ride in DCA.

One where the AA can pick on you a little bit, bring you into the world of Star Wars a bit more and leave you with something you can remember.

I'm sorry, the idea just made me a little giddy.

Cheers!

KevinPage

No, no, no.

I don't want them to be a man in a suit.

I would prefer an AA. But I do love the idea of it being a Roz-type AA from the Monster's Inc. ride in DCA.

One where the AA can pick on you a little bit, bring you into the world of Star Wars a bit more and leave you with something you can remember.

I'm sorry, the idea just made me a little giddy.

Cheers!

For those of us out of the loop and never on the DCA Monsters Ride, what/how does Roz do it? Is it mained behind the scenes by a live person?

theRIOT

She is a free standing animatronic, that as your taxi rounds a corner towards the unload, picks out one person in the car to pick on.

For example: When my wife and I rode she said "Hey you, in the yellow. What do you think your doing?" or something to that effect.

She is controlled, I believe, behind the "curtain" by a CM.

It's quite nifty.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

KevinPage

She is a free standing animatronic, that as your taxi rounds a corner towards the unload, picks out one person in the car to pick on.

For example: When my wife and I rode she said "Hey you, in the yellow. What do you think your doing?" or something to that effect.

She is controlled, I believe, behind the "curtain" by a CM.

It's quite nifty.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Makes sense and that would be a nice touch.

TP2000

Here's a vid of the ride. You get a real up-close look at her at the end.

Monsters Inc. is one of the better dark rides at Disneyland in my opinion. And the Roz figure talking to you and picking out specific riders at the end is a clever little touch.

The Mr. Potato Head animatronic who will be the "barker" for the new Toy Story Midway Mania ride at California Adventure and MGM will reportedly do this same sort of thing, except he'll entertain you in the queue before you board your vehicle instead of being at the very end.

stalkingmickey

I can't wait to see the changes. I think the ride needs some work. Although I seem to ride it at least four times everytime I go to MGM.

Verizon is doing one thing right, in limited areas they're providing fiber right to your home. However, they want all services on that fiber to be provided by them. If they concentrate on providing the transport and leave the other services up to 3rd parties they would do a good honest business. Greed is going to get the best of them, I know it.

You should check your Veizon facts. :confused: First off they are not offering in a limited area. They are in more than six states and are working on other states. Unfortunately the laws differ from state to state. Where I am they have to get permision from every single town. This takes years. They have lobbied to have the law changed, but of course the cable company is fighting this because they fear for there business.

Also they would love for you to buy phone, tv, internet from them, but in reality there are plenty of people who chose either one service or two. You do not have to have all three.

As for leaving this up to third parties. Why? Verizon built there own copper lines and everyone said it would bankrupt the company. Who knew many years later our competetors would be leasing our copper lines. this is going to be the same thing with fios. They will not only have their own customer base, but soon thier competors will be looking to lease the fiber lines.

Voip is not taking off like expected. They have a lot of lost time and have major quality problems as well. It is not all its cracked up to be. As for quality. Fiber Optics will deliver the best quality. There really is not comparison. I have Direct TV HD Service. This is better than comcast HD. I have compared them both side by side in my house. Fiber Optics is 10x better than Directtv.

Maybe you love techie things, but I guess the business side of things gets lost in the shuffle. Fiber Opitcs has brought new life into a company that has learned over and over again how to adapt.

brkgnews

If they're being completely removed and replaced with totally new ride vehicles, then almost certainly yes.

If they are only being temporarily removed to be fitted with the new stuff and then put back on the ride, nope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom