Google to buy Disney

hokielutz

You know... this was a pretty funny after-lunch thread. Very entertaining to read about rumors of a company with very few physical assets wanting to purchase a company with vast physical product inventories and assets.
:brick: :brick: :brick:

CPAlumni1999

just fyi

Disney has almost been bought out through a majority share holdings (more then 50%) on 2 different occasions .. basically Disney ended up having to pay these 2 rich guys off to get the stock back ... I can't rememeber off the top of my head who they were but I know because I worked in the Disney college program and they had these business classes where the people teaching the classes taught us about those instances ... they said to fix the problem Disney made sure that the stock was split up so much and given to so many people that never again could someone manage to get more then 50% of the shares ...

Its been a while since I was told all this so I might be somewhat wrong in my story - if anyone knows more about it correct me please :)

lwalker8

Disney revenues last year: about 31.9 Billion
Google Revenues last year: about 6.1 Billion

- so no...Comcast couldn't even afford to buy them in the end, and that was when Disney was at the bottom of its post 9/11 slump. Google is miles behind. .Com companies right now aren't really in a position to buy media giants.

sconti

I think it's a long shot for Google to buy Disney. But, financially speaking, Google's market share (numbers of shares outstanding x current selling price) is about twice that of Disney's. $127B to $65B.

sanctumsolitude

Disney revenues last year: about 31.9 Billion
Google Revenues last year: about 6.1 Billion

- so no...Comcast couldn't even afford to buy them in the end, and that was when Disney was at the bottom of its post 9/11 slump. Google is miles behind. .Com companies right now aren't really in a position to buy media giants.

Google market cap: 127.25 Billion
Disney market cap: 65.94 Billion
[Comast market cap: 80.04 Billion]

Google would have to pay at least $70 Billion for Disney (with premium). Now, Google does have the stock to do it (via an all-stock purchase). However, it is very unlikely considering the relative sizes of each company.

Google has about 8,000 employees, Disney has about 133,000 employees. Disney has about $53 billion is assets, Google has closer to $10 billion. The size difference is simply so extreme, I cannot imagine that the acquisition will work. AOL tried it with their merger with Time Warner, and we all know how well that turned out. I doubt Google is going to make the same mistake AOL did.

Apple/Disney merger makes more sense and it is a rumor that pops up every now and then (and has been for the last 10 years or so). This is one merger I wouldn't mind at all.

lwalker8

Apple/Disney merger makes more sense and it is a rumor that pops up every now and then (and has been for the last 10 years or so). This is one merger I wouldn't mind at all.

I am with you on that one. Apple and Disney just seem to go together in my mind, espescially with all this Itunes business going on...how nice would it be to own the company that could become the largest retailer for your films 20 years form now?:sohappy:

DisneySaint

How about no?

In no way could Google begin to afford Disney, I don't care how much they have. On that same token, Disney won't be selling anytime soon.

slappy magoo

According the magazine, "Daily Variety" Google has made some references to buying Disney sometime in the future.

Heck, *I* can make a reference about buying Disney in the future. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. This could've been idle speculation. Wishful thinking. "Maybe, Google will be big enough to one day buy Disney" isn't the same thing as "We're buying Disney, baby!"

Much ado about less than nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom