Goofy's Sky School

Mukta

I was there on Sunday 6/19 and they were letting CMs and friends test. I watched people ride for a while and the comments were positive as they came off of the ride.

mharrington

I don't get what the big deal is with this ride. I think it's shaping up to be a good one. My main gripe with this is the location. I think it should have been put in Mickey's Toontown (replacing Goofy's Playhouse), not in Paradise Pier, because it's already about Mickey and the gang, and it just feels out of place. But other than that, I think it's looking good.

Also, on Miceage.com, they complained that "it's a bit of a shame that a classic character such as Goofy has been reduced to such an attraction." What kind of an attraction would befit Goofy if not this?

Mukta

I rode this on June 30th. There are some hilarious signs in the queue. Next time I will stop and read all of them.
The ride itself didn't have many changes. The new theme was funny and there are signs along the way that made me giggle. Still a rough ride for me, so I won't be riding it often.
I'm not sure it fits into the theme pf the park/area though. Since it was a chicken farm, it doesn't really fit into the boardwalk theme.

mharrington

On Miceage.com, they complained that "it's a bit of a shame that a classic character such as Goofy has been reduced to such an attraction." What kind of an attraction would befit Goofy if not this?

dweezil78

I'm not sure it fits into the theme pf the park/area though. Since it was a chicken farm, it doesn't really fit into the boardwalk theme.

It's weird to me that they chose to theme the ride to a flying school when there is a area of the park specifically themed around aviation. Of all the themes Disney could pick to overlay the ride with, they chose one that already existed elsewhere in the same park? I just don't get it.

TP2000

Original Poster
It's weird to me that they chose to theme the ride to a flying school when there is a area of the park specifically themed around aviation. Of all the themes Disney could pick to overlay the ride with, they chose one that already existed elsewhere in the same park? I just don't get it.

And yet, the vast majority of the people waiting in line for Goofy's Sky School at his converted chicken farm won't care one whit, if they even think about it, that the park's (arguably) greatest E Ticket uses a literal and serious theme of California's aviation history. It would be like saying that Casey Jr. Circus Train is redundant at Disneyland because there's already the Disneyland Railroad using the train theme at a bigger and bolder attraction.

I honestly don't think that the theme of this attraction...
Soarin.jpg

Will impact the enjoyment of this attraction, or vice versa...
IMG7483-L.jpg

That said, I agree that these Mad Mouse coasters don't really belong in a Disney theme park either, but a previous executive team that has since been discredited and eradicated installed these things in WDW and Disneyland over a decade ago and we are stuck with them for now. At least Mulholland Madness got a dramatic aesthetic improvement to turn it into Goofy's Sky School. That whole area around the coaster looks and feels a million times better now! :sohappy:

And, at least the Goofy's area only got this light retheme and aesthetic boost to existing structures because it's an area that has been publicy identified by Disney suits as an "expansion area" for DCA a few years from now. We'll have to console ourselves with the knowledge that the area looks much, much better now, and that it's still an expansion pad slated for medium-term development.

Sadly, we can't say the same thing about Primeval Whirl, as no one at Disney besides a Churro Salesman has ever said anything about replacement or improvement. :lookaroun

dweezil78

And yet, the vast majority of the people waiting in line for Goofy's Sky School at his converted chicken farm won't care one whit, if they even think about it, that the park's (arguably) greatest E Ticket uses a literal and serious theme of California's aviation history. It would be like saying that Casey Jr. Circus Train is redundant at Disneyland because there's already the Disneyland Railroad using the train theme at a bigger and bolder attraction.

First of all, there's a reason (at least one would hope) why the parks are designed by professionals and not "the vast majority of people waiting in line." Second, a train is not a theme but rather a mode of transportation. If there were circus themed attractions popping up at opposite sides of the park, I'd have the very same argument there. But saying two train rides create a redundancy is like saying two boat rides or two coasters does too and I'd never claim that to be an issue.

I am talking about a specific theme here -- aviation. It makes absolutely no sense that they would theme this coaster around a flying school when there is an area of the park devoted to this. It is akin to putting a space themed ride in Adventureland. There is literally an area of DCA that revolves around flight complete with airplanes, airplane parts, aviation history, etc....

Were there honestly no good other ideas that would make sense for a re-theme that would not overlap with another area of the park? I find that hard to believe.

TP2000

Original Poster
First of all, there's a reason (at least one would hope) why the parks are designed by professionals and not "the vast majority of people waiting in line."

Quite a valid point there. I've seen some of the people waiting in line at theme parks, and I wouldn't want them designing my bathroom, let alone a major Disney attraction. :lol:

Were there honestly no good other ideas that would make sense for a re-theme that would not overlap with another area of the park? I find that hard to believe.

Perhaps there were other ideas, but Disney never released any besides the Goofy Flying Airplanes versions. They really seemed to want to incorporate classic Disney characters into Paradise Pier, and Goofy was likely a top choice. Maybe a Donald plotline instead? Funny how they created this elaborate backstory to the attraction about Goofy, but the restaurants next door use an elaborate non-Disney backstory about an Italian-American immigrant family that created a boardwalk dining empire.

If you were tasked with keeping Mulholland Madness in its basic format to preserve the ride capacity and attraction count for the park on a limited budget, what type of theme or Character plotline would you come up with for this small coaster?

dweezil78

If you were tasked with keeping Mulholland Madness in its basic format to preserve the ride capacity and attraction count for the park on a limited budget, what type of theme or Character plotline would you come up with for this small coaster?

Well, without spending more than 5 minutes on this (as I'm at work), why not something around Goofy's 'Aquamania' short? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INwbLxwguH8

Re-theme each vehicle as a little boat, utilize the tracks as water/waves, and give it more of a beachy look... you know the kind of thing you'd expect to see next to a PIER. :D

Create a storyline about Goofy being in a boat race, and bada bing bada boom, youv'e got yourself a nice little ride that doesn't belong in another area of the park and ties in well to the large body of water it's next to.

mharrington

Well, without spending more than 5 minutes on this (as I'm at work), why not something around Goofy's 'Aquamania' short? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INwbLxwguH8

Re-theme each vehicle as a little boat, utilize the tracks as water/waves, and give it more of a beachy look... you know the kind of thing you'd expect to see next to a PIER. :D

Create a storyline about Goofy being in a boat race, and bada bing bada boom, youv'e got yourself a nice little ride that doesn't belong in another area of the park and ties in well to the large body of water it's next to.

Well, since the climax of the short involves Goofy having a run-in with a roller coaster at a waterside park, why not just theme this ride around that?

dweezil78

Well, since the climax of the short involves Goofy having a run-in with a roller coaster at a waterside park, why not just theme this ride around that?

Too funny! Hadn't watched it in years and totally forgot about that part. That is even better for sure. They could have attached a Goofy figure on water skis to the front of every vehicle and had him make all kinds of funny noises with each dip and turn. So many angles to pull from with this one. I mean, the rollercoaster in the toon is literally part of a pier. The setup couldn't have been any better!

YvibE.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom