Goofy Challenge Pre-Trip Report

I need something to do before I go crazy waiting for my upcoming trip Disney! This trip is super special because my husband and I are going to be doing the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge on Marathon Weekend! Thanks to this board and @HollyBelle, I embarked on my “running career” back in Oct of 2009 when I began training for the 2011 Disney Marathon. Here is my previous marathon trip report. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-procrastinators-super-late-2011-marathon-trip-report.813119/ After having so much fun during the marathon (I forgot all the pain), I again convinced my partner in crime and life to do the Goofy Challenge in 2013. After all, we got through the marathon, what’s adding a few more miles the day before, right?

Dan and I (Kristy) after the 2011 Marathon!

DisneyJan20111327.jpg

We will leave Philly in the early morning hours of 1/10/13 and return on 1/15/13. It is a kind of short trip for us but we will be back in August with my sis and her family. For the first time, we are renting DVC points and staying at the Beach Club Villas. We have never stayed at the Beach Club so we are really looking forward to that!

We are trying to save a little cash this trip, so I didn’t book a lot of ADRs this time. The meals I planned are as follows:

1/10 – dinner at Liberty Tree
1/11 – none
1/12 – breakfast at Kona Cafe after the half marathon
1/13 – celebratory late lunch at Le Cellier after the marathon
1/14 – breakfast at Cape May Cafe
1/15 – none

We have a late flight back to Philly so we have almost the entire day at the parks before we leave.

I don’t have any real plans in the parks besides running the races. We are just going to “wing it” and not set the alarms (on non-race days of course). We are going to be up at 3 am on the 10th for the 6 am departure and we are going to have 2 wake up calls of 2:30 am on race days so I figure the rest of time we are going relax!

I am optimistic that we will be able beat our marathon finish time this year!

Stay tuned for a play-by-play of 39.3 miles of fun and pain!

Ariel484

Woohoo!!! :D I got ridiculously excited when I saw your PTR.
I need something to do before I go crazy waiting for my upcoming trip the Disney!
YES. I am totall useless right now.

We need to meet up, yes??? :D

ETA: Just went back and actually READ your post (I got too excited and commented without reading)...we're going to be at Kona after the half too! Maybe we'll see you there. :)

JillC LI

Hey Kristi! I'm glad you posted the link to your original Marathon Report. I never saw it - I guess because you didn't post it on the Running forum. It was great to read. I especially liked the story about your Mile 25 photo. When I ran the NYC Marathon, my family met me at Mile 17, and they took a few photos of me as I ran over to greet them, but that was all the photos I had of the race until they photographed me again at the Finish Line. Anyway, can't wait to read your Goofy Challenge Report!

Kristia

Original Poster
Darn! I wanted to put this in the trip reports section but messed up! If a moderator sees this can it be moved? @wdwmagic Thanks!

Kristia

Original Poster
Woohoo!!! :D I got ridiculously excited when I saw your PTR.

YES. I am totall useless right now.

We need to meet up, yes??? :D

ETA: Just went back and actually READ your post (I got too excited and commented without reading)...we're going to be at Kona after the half too! Maybe we'll see you there. :)
Will message you my cell number so we can try to meet up! I think I made the Kona reservation for 9:45. Should be plenty of time to get there I hope! I am totally useless as well. As you can see I even posted this in the wrong section. Ugh! I am going CRAZY!!

Kristia

Original Poster
Sounds great! Best of luck, dont worry the 10th will be here before you know it!
Thanks! I am hoping the time goes quick! I think I will start packing tonight to keep myself busy.
Hey Kristi! I'm glad you posted the link to your original Marathon Report. I never saw it - I guess because you didn't post it on the Running forum. It was great to read. I especially liked the story about your Mile 25 photo. When I ran the NYC Marathon, my family met me at Mile 17, and they took a few photos of me as I ran over to greet them, but that was all the photos I had of the race until they photographed me again at the Finish Line. Anyway, can't wait to read your Goofy Challenge Report!
Thanks Jill! Glad you liked it! Way back when I posted that report, I didn't know about the running forum. I will be sure to post a link to my pretrip and post-trip report there when I write it. The spectators and volunteers at Disney were awesome! We ran into so many nice people. It was very refreshing! :)
Good luck and have fun!
Thank you!

Ariel484

Will message you my cell number so we can try to meet up! I think I made the Kona reservation for 9:45. Should be plenty of time to get there I hope! I am totally useless as well. As you can see I even posted this in the wrong section. Ugh! I am going CRAZY!!
LOL! Totally did not notice. :)

My ADR is at 10:40 so we'll probably miss you. :( Hopefully we'll be able to meet up at the expo or before one of the races in the wee hours of the "morning."

Kristia

Original Poster
LOL! Totally did not notice. :)

My ADR is at 10:40 so we'll probably miss you. :( Hopefully we'll be able to meet up at the expo or before one of the races in the wee hours of the "morning."
Maybe we will see you on the way out! I am just hoping that I didn't make it too early. I am going to bring a change of clothes so we can go right over if we have to.

Witchy Chick

sounds like a fun and exhausting trip.
hope u all have a great time

forgive me for asking but u mentioned 39 mile race?

The Goofy Challenge consists of running both the Half and the Full Marathons (back-to-back days). 13.1 miles for the Half, 26.2 miles for the Full gives you a total of 39.3. :)

LindsayLoves

Kristy - this made me more excited for next week to roll around! We are flying in on the evening of the 8th and the weather looks clear on both ends (knock on wood!). Thanks for linking back to your old TR from the 2011 marathon, I am kind of stoked that the Chritsmas stuff will still be up for the race. Also realizing how tough it will be to get a good picture when its dark I might try to do more with video for the start of the race with the fireworks and all.

Kristia

Original Poster
Kristy - this made me more excited for next week to roll around! We are flying in on the evening of the 8th and the weather looks clear on both ends (knock on wood!). Thanks for linking back to your old TR from the 2011 marathon, I am kind of stoked that the Chritsmas stuff will still be up for the race. Also realizing how tough it will be to get a good picture when its dark I might try to do more with video for the start of the race with the fireworks and all.
I am so excited too! I can't sit still and I am just so wanting the next 5 days at work to be over! The weekend is easy to get through, its the work days that stink! :) Not too much longer!

LindsayLoves

I am so excited too! I can't sit still and I am just so wanting the next 5 days at work to be over! The weekend is easy to get through, its the work days that stink! :) Not too much longer!

Unfortunately starting yesterday I am working straight through the weekend until the 8th :( . I do get to go for my first wedding dress fitting at Kleinfeld's on the morning we leave so I am really looking forward to the 8th!

In your TR photos its very interesting seeing people with hydration belts/packs on. That really doesn't happen so much in races around here since the local races always have way more water than needed.

Kristia

Original Poster
Unfortunately starting yesterday I am working straight through the weekend until the 8th :( . I do get to go for my first wedding dress fitting at Kleinfeld's on the morning we leave so I am really looking forward to the 8th!

In your TR photos its very interesting seeing people with hydration belts/packs on. That really doesn't happen so much in races around here since the local races always have way more water than needed.

That is so exciting!! Congratulations! What a way to start your vacation! Dan and I have been going back and forth about bring hydration belts. I didn't last time but he did (I forgot he did until I looked back at pics). I found there to be plenty of water and powerade. I guess if you are picky or sensitive to what you drink, it is worth it. I haven't had a problem and hopefully won't! Dan likes having it on him but at races, I try to carry as little as possible.

LindsayLoves

That is so exciting!! Congratulations! What a way to start your vacation! Dan and I have been going back and forth about bring hydration belts. I didn't last time but he did (I forgot he did until I looked back at pics). I found there to be plenty of water and powerade. I guess if you are picky or sensitive to what you drink, it is worth it. I haven't had a problem and hopefully won't! Dan likes having it on him but at races, I try to carry as little as possible.

Thanks! We are getting hitched about a month after the marathon so the past few weeks have been killer with all the planning and training.

I also hate carrying anything extra. I will likely have my Spibelt for my camera, Gu chomps, and tissues. I am not going to go for the different food options they have on the course, that's where I might get in trouble. Gatorade or powerade are both fine for me. I will have a bunch of stuff in my bag for post-race, that is pretty important to me, if I skip my post race Nuun and food I will be out of it for the rest of the day.

Kristia

Original Poster
Haha! Your packing list sounds like mine. Chomps, camera and tissues! The only food on the course that I will eat is probably a banana since we have been doing that during training. About halfway through our long runs we stop back at the house for a banana break!

Ariel484

I'm not sure the Christmas stuff will still be there. :( It was up for Marathon Weekend last year but the race was January 7. I hope I'm wrong though!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

And back to @Kristia 's PTR...:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom