Goodings Supermarket?

disney1077

Original Poster
I have been searching information about any supermarkets or places that sell groceries near Disney World besides the ones in the resort, and I have found a place called Goodings Supermarket near Downtown Disney. My question is has anyone been there and if so could you tell me does it sell all kinds of groceries and is it expansive? Also is it far from Downtown Disney, would you be able to walk there (it would not bother me if it is a 20 minute walk)? I know there are Targets and walmart outside of Orlando but I will not have a rental and a cab might be too expansive. Any info will help!
Thanks! :)

elabron

Goodings IS a bit pricey, but offers a great selection, particularly if you are looking for specialty items such as sushi, meditteranean foods, etc.

But, yes.......Goodings is the most expensive store in the area. There is a Winn Dixie just several more miles down the road and a Wal Mart SuperCenter in Kissimee.

pacochran

I think I have heard that they are kind of expensive, but have not been their personally. It's to bad you don't have a car, as we go to Publix, which is located just beyond the outlet mall (I think exit 65 off of I-4), which is a big store and not that expensive. We just rent a car for the day we arrive, get's us from the airport, and we always stop at the Outlets (Character Outlet is great for Disney souvenirs) and then hit Publix. The car is turned in the following morning right on property. I can't tell you how expensive a one day car rental is as my wife usually books, and this last trip we rented a car for the whole week as we did things outside of Disney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Compared to your local supermarket they are a little pricey but they have a very good selection of speciality items. If you have a Harris Teeter around you it would be comparable to Goodings. You are looking at a little over a mile walk from the closest bus stop at DTD so it would be just shy of an hour walk round trip or about 5 minute's in a cab.

Ella's Mommy

Gooding is absolutely ridiculous! We go there out of sheer laziness cause it is the closest supermarket. On one of our trips I forgot my shampoo and conditioner and i had to buy it there. I spent $10 on DOVE shampoo!! If you are going to do food shopping I would advise aganist it. It could be hella expensive!!! But yes you could walk from DTD and it would definately take 20 mins.

Home in 8 days:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

tevange365

goodings $$$$$$

Goodings is outrages the mark up is incredible while it may be convenient you can take a cab to wal mart and save oh so much more !!!!!
Depending on what you are looking for you will save a lot going to wal mart or any other supermarket in the area :wave:

DisneyDragon

As nice as Gooding's is, I cannot recommend it. Way too pricey for anything - a short drive can get you to a Publix where you can easily save 10-20%.

ZapperZ

It is pricey, but if you do not have a car and can only walk, it is the most convenient place to get "cheaper" stuff than WDW. I usually go there to buy bottled water to stock up in the refrigerator in our room. We then refill our water bottle before heading out to the park - a lot less expensive than buying water at WDW, even with Gooding's prices.

Besides, you can also find Disney merchandise that are also cheaper than similar merchandise (but not identical) to the ones you get at WDW. So if you have to buy lots of souvenirs to bring back, you might be able to find some there.

Of course, you can find cheaper places if you go further, but that is moot if you can't get to them.

zz.

LuvMyMagic

EXPENSIVE!!!!! I have gone to the Goodings on I Drive and they wanted more than $10 for a bottle of 50ct Advil. If you are looking for dry items might I suggest what others in the forums have and ship stuff down to your hotel. Many people do it, they ship shampoo, cereal ect to their hotels via UPS and such. Sounds cheaper especially since you'll probably use the stuff up and not have to ship it back. Just a thought :wave:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Even when Gooding's was a true chain of Supermarkets, I refused to go there. They were just too expensive.

There's a Winn-Dixie 1 mile north, a Wal-Mart Supercenter 3 miles south, and a Publix Supermarket 2 miles around the corner.

slappy magoo

If you're planning on walking, what are you planning on buying? Anything that needs to be constantly refrigerated or frozen? Or mostly toiletries and package goods. Anything that could wilt or melt in the Florida sun, you may be better off hiring a cab. At least for the ride back.

CleveRocks

Gooding's is expensive. Gooding's also delivers to hotels. The delivery fee and the price difference has got to be cheaper than cab fare to a less expensive place.

Plus, if your vacation time is valuable to you, is it worth it to you to spend the time getting to a market and shopping, or do you just want to get it automatically delivered to you.

Gooding's has it worked out with WDW resorts that they deliver directly to Bell Services (BS), not to your room. BS then calls your room to see if you're in. If you are, they'll be right there with your groceries. If you're not in, no problem! BS will store your groceries for you, even keeping the cold stuff cold (Gooding's separately bags and labels the cold stuff).

Their website (www.goodings.com) has only a limited selection, but they will sell and deliver anything they stock on their shelves. You just have to request it by phone or e-mail. They will NOT, however, deliver alcohol.

The convenience of a Gooding's delivery is amazing. The first time we used them (May 2005) our delivery came when we were out at a park on our arrival day (it was great not having to wait around for our luggage [DME] or our groceries). The last time we used Gooding's, we knew we weren't going to be arriving at the resort until about 11:00 p.m., but we had them deliver earlier in the day (before we even boarded our plane!) and POFQ's Bell Services kept it for us (we had MOSTLY perishables). When we checked in at POFQ, to CM told us we had a grocery delivery, she notified Bell Services, and those bags arrived at our room a few minutes after we did, so we were able to wake up with in-room breakfast foods and our 4 year old had her cold morning milk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom