Good packing tips for flying

Patcheslee

Original Poster
Well MIL and FIL decided to gift us round trip flight for our trip in June as a late wedding present. DD and I have never flown, and its been over 20 years for DH. What a good source for packing tips ect? Luckily our luggage set already meets carry-on standards, so one less worry. And tips would be appreciated. We fly down 2 days before our Disney stay for a quick trip to St. Augustine then head to Disney for 9 day.

Figments Friend

Taking a look at your airlines website is a good idea to see the specific restrictions that exsist now for what can and cannot be brought on board or packed in your carry on / checked bags.
A LOT has changed in 20 years when it comes to flying!
Every airlines' website has a section where you can get up to date info.

In general, when packing your bags, you cannot bring liquids or gels of any kind over 3 ounces in a carry on bag that comes on the plane with you.
You can however have your over 3 ounce containers in a checked bag ( non-carry on ).
So if you are doing carry on only, pack only small 'travel sized' items.

Now those under-3 ounce tolitries have to be placed into a certain sized plastic bag for pre-flight security screening.
Everything from toiletries to perfume to toothpaste now has to be bagged in a quart-sized Ziploc slide top plastic bag and presented for inspection during your security screening at the airport.
Be sure to finish any beverages or snacks before passing through the security screening area too...as they will be confiscated ( no liquids over 3 ounces, remember..? )
;)
Non-liquid /gel like snacks ( crackers, granola bars, etc. ) are okay, so be sure to pack some for the flight!

When i travel, i tend to bring a roller bag and a messenger bag both as carry on.
I never check bags, exspecially now with all the added fees.
Another reason why it is good to check your particular airlines website...if for some reason they require you to check your bags, you will be charged $25 or more depending on the airline.

Pack valuable stuff such as electronics, money, travel papers, jewelry, or fragile items in a tote bag, backpack, or any other soft sided item you can sling on your shoulder that can easily be stowed under the seat in front of you once on board.
Items you will want to use while seated in flight should also be placed in that bag at your feet so you can easily get to them.
So pack any books, music players, games, or dry snacks in a smaller bag.

Your roller bags / carry on suitcases will be stowed in a luggage compartment above the seats and you don't always get the spaces near your actual seat.
With many more people now doing carry on bags to avoid today's airline baggage fees your flight may run out of compartment space.
In that case, you will be asked to check your bags.
Another reason it is good to put your absolute essential travel items in that tote bag or backpack at your feet!

The only other thing I can offer advice on - PACK LIGHT!
Decide in advance what clothing and other items you REALLY need and leave the rest behind.
You will thank yourself later, as you will need that extra space for all the goodies you will be bringing home!

Hope this helps, and have a fabulous trip!
:)

-

Last edited:

The Mighty Tim

I'd just like to add that if you're carrying liquids in your hand luggage, have them near the top of your bag or in a quickly accessible place so that when you get to the security checkpoint, you can retrieve them easily without digging through the entire contents of your bag.

Also, at the security checkpoint, when you put your stuff in those little trays for X-ray scanning, put your liquids on the very top. On my last international flight, my tray was pushed aside for additional screening which added 15-20 minutes on to my security wait. Turns out the reason was because my liquids were underneath all the other items in the tray and the scanner couldn't tell what it was.

SAV

If you are getting a rental car, then leave toiletries/liquids at home and just buy them when you get to Orlando. Also stop and buy yourselves some cases of water and any other beverages/snacks you might want before getting on-property. I prefer to buy less expensive poncho's at the store instead of in the parks.

If you chew gum, then make sure to buy it before getting on-property. They don't sell it at WDW.

Patcheslee

Original Poster
I think we found a Walmart closer to St Augustine to cover toiletries. Our 311 has turned into how many cheese and cracker packs, ect can we fit lol. I was checking out the overhead bin and underseat specs for our specific flight, turns out even though our luggage fits the Delta carryon dimensions there a good chance they may have to be gate checked for free. Kinda sucks, but at least we wont have to pay. And I'll just make sure any expensive things go in my tote. I'm seriously thinking about making a small laminated card that says "shhh, she doesn't know about Disney" and attach it to the magic bands in case someone in TSA sees them lol.

21stamps

Be sure to bring your makeup in your carry on, not checked.
I always pack at least one outfit/bathing suit in my carry on in case luggage gets lost/delayed.
This is just a general packing tip, but I roll all of our clothes.
Disperse shoes thru more than one bag so you don't go over weight.
Hand sanitizer and face wipes in carry on.
Gum in case your ears pop.
I buy travel size empty containers so I can use my regular shampoo/conditioner/body lotion, then I throw them out before leave the hotel.
Put all hair products/toiletries in zip lock bags or a sturdy makeup bag in case of a leak.
I typically don't bring body wash, just use the one provided at the hotel.
Make sure your flat iron (if you use one) is tucked between clothes.
A couple of snacks in your handbag so you don't have to buy overpriced airport snacks.
Don't make the same mistake as I did last trip and mix up a carry on and checked luggage piece- watching while TSA throws out all of your milk ;)

ETA- make sure to have one luggage item that is at least 1/4 empty. If you're buying souvenirs in St Augustine and WDW just keep them all in the room until your second last day. Whatever doesn't fit can be shipped from the resort's general store.
I've found that this way is a lot less expensive than shipping every time I bought something.

Apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else, but are you flying out of CVG?

Last edited:

21stamps

We are flying out of IND. It was there or an hour drive south to Louisville for $150 more per ticket. Easy choice lol
I saved almost $900 on our Nov/Dec trip by buying a one way on Southwest out of IND-MCO and then a one way Delta MCO-CVG.
It was freezing when we arrived at IND, I struggled getting all of our luggage from the car (4checked bags, 2 carry on suitcases, my handbag, and a backpack)..the guy at the desk literally stood inside his heated glass hut and watched me.. he checked my bags and I gave him a tip. Still regret giving a tip...and will never forget it.lol
Anyway, it's an easy airport to fly in and out of. Their curbside check in just sucks.. or maybe just that one jerk guy does.lol

Weather_Lady

I used to travel extensively for work, and if there's one thing it has taught me, it's that overpacking=stress and checking bags=danger of lost/damaged stuff, so in addition to the advice above (about 3-1-1 bags, etc.), my generalized packing advice would be:

1 - DO NOT OVERPACK. The more you bring, the more hassle you'll have toting things around (or worrying about how they're being treated by others), organizing your room, and packing/unpacking. If possible (each member of my family of four does it), pack everything you need in a 21" rolling carryon (non-spinner style will give you more interior room) and personal item (I have a Baggallini "Kindred" tote that even has a zippable "flap" on the back that threads down over a rolling luggage bag handle, for breezing through the airport -- my husband prefers to use a backpack as his personal item as it can hold a ton and still be squished under the seat), so you don't even have to check a bag.

2 - MAKE A LIST AND STICK TO IT. Starting several weeks before you leave (if you have that kind of time), make a packing list that includes all the essentials and nothing more, and revise it as you go along. For your suitcase: an outfit per day (plus one extra), socks and underthings, swimsuit, sandals, PJs, toiletries, meds, makeup, nail kit, mini-First-Aid kit (e.g., ointment, Band-Aids, blister pads and Tylenol), snacks/breakfast foods for the hotel room, etc. (On the way home, the space you devoted to food can be used for souvenirs.) In your 3-1-1 bag (put it in an outside pocket of your suitcase so it's easy to grab when going through security): First aid ointment, liquid/gel makeup items, sunscreen, moisturizer, toothpaste, etc. For your personal item: IDs, insurance cards, cash/CC (all in a wallet or small crossbody purse, depending on what you plan to use as your park bag) travel documents, electronics and chargers, camera/phone, snacks and amusements for the trip, sunglasses, MagicBands, Handi-Wipes (I prefer them to hand sanitizer because I don't have to put them in a 3-1-1 bag, but YMMV), refillable water filter bottle if desired (wait until after security to fill it up), etc. To wear to travel: the bulkiest clothing you intend to bring (jeans, hoodie, sneakers). Plan outfits in the same color scheme so you can mix-and-match, and choose things with an eye toward those that can do double-duty (e.g., a sundress that also works as a swimsuit coverup, waterproof hiking sandals that are suitable for the parks, the beach or the pool).

3 - MAKE THE MOST OF PACKING SPACE. If you are so inclined, organize everything into packing cubes (eBags packing cubes have revolutionized my family's packing - everybody has their own color so we know whose-stuff-is-whose, and to unpack, all we have to do is unzip the top and stick it in a drawer -- there are several brands and models on the market). Whether or not you're using cubes, carefully roll your clothes (there are several tutorials online) to minimize wrinkles and maximize your use of available space in your luggage. Every inch counts -- even those awkward spaces between the handle channels on a rolling suitcase. If you can't fit your clothes into your suitcase even after careful editing of your list, remove half of it, bring a laundry bag and some powdered detergent (or liquid pods - 2 of which fit perfectly into an empty standard-sized prescription bottle for travel, FWIW - but follow the 3-1-1- rule) and do laundry halfway through the trip. (OP, you'd need to do this if you wanted to pack carryon-only, as a 21" suitcase will typically only hold 5 or 6 warm-weather outfits, in addition to the other items listed above - the good news is that Disney likes to put laundry facilities next to pools and you can monitor your washer/dryer remotely on the laundryview.com website as you sit in your lounge chair soaking up the sun!). As for toiletries and makeup, if you have any bulky compacts or dispensers, just decant them into something smaller, and don't bring anything that the hotel is already supplying (e.g., pillows, towels, hairdryer, soap...).

4 - THAT BEING SAID, DO FIND THE SPACE FOR YOUR "DEALBREAKER" ITEM. For some people, they can't go a week without their favorite brand of toilet paper, or that extra pair of shoes, or their electric facial exfoliator, without feeling miserable. For me, making my hotel room feel like home is as simple as bringing a container of my favorite flavored creamer (the powdered version, so I don't have to worry about 3-1-1 compliance or spoilage) to pour into my morning coffee.

5 - DON'T SWEAT WHAT YOU FORGET. As long as you have your I.D. and prescription meds, there's nothing else you can't find or replace while at WDW if you were to forget something (although The List is intended to keep that from happening, and keep your packing stress-free).

Last edited:

NeedMoreMickey

If you are going to have a rental car the attitude should be if we really need it we can buy it. That’s a little harder when you are stuck in the Disney bubble without a way to get to a store. One year my sister bought a toy monorail and a bunch of other items for the kids that didn’t fit in the suitcase she bought a duffel bag. She packed her clothes around the toys and checked the duffle bag. I’ve purchased a couple pieces of art and had them shipped home instead of trying to transport them myself. You will not be allowed to transport a snow globe in your carry-on.

I’m so impressed with the people who can travel for 11 days and only take a carry-on that will never happen with me. When I travel with my husband we usually check luggage so instead of having separate suitcases we spread out items over both suitcases. That way if one is lost we still have clothes for each of us.

Don’t know how old DD is but don’t count on her to carry/wheel her luggage around the airport if she is young. Sounds like a good idea but kids get bored with it quickly. Put some kind of strap or bungee cord in the outside pocket so you can link/join the suitcases together for easy transport.

Patcheslee

Original Poster
Don’t know how old DD is but don’t count on her to carry/wheel her luggage around the airport if she is young. Sounds like a good idea but kids get bored with it quickly. Put some kind of strap or bungee cord in the outside pocket so you can link/join the suitcases together for easy transport.
Ive narrowed it down to 6 days for each of us, this includes what we wear. Give us our off day for laundry. Equals out to 2 carry-ons, 2 small backpacks as personal items and small tote bag. DD8s backpack will just be entertainment, couple change of clothes, and her blanket she goes everywhere with.

Weather_Lady

Ive narrowed it down to 6 days for each of us, this includes what we wear. Give us our off day for laundry. Equals out to 2 carry-ons, 2 small backpacks as personal items and small tote bag. DD8s backpack will just be entertainment, couple change of clothes, and her blanket she goes everywhere with.

You're speaking my language. :)

Patcheslee

Original Poster
You're speaking my language. :)
From 11 days when we were planning to drive, its a big difference thats for sure. But also less to lose. DH is being a little more picky wanting to find travel size for his specific AXE stuff instead of waiting till we stop at the local Walmart. Never thought my husband would be more high maintenance than me....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
For people who wear either contact lenses or eyeglasses, always be sure to pack a spare in your carryon bag. (The last thing you want to have to deal with, is either a lost lens or broken eyeglasses on vacation.)

SyracuseDisneyFan

I'm definitely packing extra contact lenses when we go. On the day we leave for Disney from Syracuse, NY, I plan to just wear my glasses. Our flight arrives in Orlando at about 9:25AM on May 11. I have no idea when we can access our room at Animal Kingdom Lodge at Kidani Village. Also, in all honesty, sometimes it's easier to wear my glasses. I can wear those through security at the Airport, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom