Good Bye Disney Institute.....Hello DVC.

wdwmanager

I just had to start this one, because the Institute was the very first resort I ever stayed out back in 1982. In Fact it was called the Lake Buena Vista Inn (?). Even though the Institute itself will still remain, it is though apartment style hotel rooms that I will miss.
I was just thinking about this the other day when I drove past and the moving vans were there removing all the furniture, and appliances. It looks so wierd driving past and seeing an empty parking lot.
On the other hand, DVC is one money making cow, and I guess they are going to milk it for all it is worth. First the Institute, Then Eagle Pines. I dont understand why you can use your points and sleep in the castle (Just joking)!!!!!
The drawings that I have seen of both new resorts look great, but again, it is hard to let go of a classic.
Good Bye Institute!!!!!!

:(

WDWhigh

Just because it will be a DVC resort, doesn't mean you won't be able to stay there. I stay at Boardwalk Villas every vacation and I just love it and I'm not a DVC member.

Although the rooms will be decorated differently, they will still be "apartment" styled (home away from home) rooms.

May not hold the same memories for you, but it's not all bad!

Upvote 0

Thespis

Although the rooms will be decorated differently, they will still be "apartment" styled (home away from home) rooms.
In fact, the villas will probably be much nicer than the old Institute rooms. The way DVC is structured, only the portion of the resort that is actually owned by members is available for use on points. The "unsold inventory" is booked on a cash basis. When the resort sells out, time that has been exchanged for vacations outside of DVC resorts is available for cash reservations. You shouldn't have a problem getting a room when you want one. :)

Upvote 0

wdwmanager

Original Poster
Originally posted by WDWhigh
Just because it will be a DVC resort, doesn't mean you won't be able to stay there. I stay at Boardwalk Villas every vacation and I just love it and I'm not a DVC member.

May not hold the same memories for you, but it's not all bad!

How do you figure it will be the same. They are tearing down the old buildings, and building several buildings that look like the new DVC at Yatch Club. They rooms will not be the same as before with new decorations. They will be typical DVC rooms. Nothing like the old apartments; I can say this since I have seen the Model for the new rooms.
I do not disagree with the plans they have for the Institute. I was just saying that I will miss it, just like I miss Mr. Toads Wild Ride, and the Orginal JII.

:eek:

Upvote 0

CDavid

I was saddened to hear the old Vacation Villas (I'll always know them by that name) were to be demolished. I stayed there back in 1985, and always thought I'd do so again someday. Seems like a waste - they could have been (extensively) renovated into DVC villas while preserving the basic structure.

In July 2000 I took pictures of Horizons' demolition; it looks like I'll be taking similar such pictures of the villas this summer. :(

Upvote 0

TravisMT81

From my understanding the building will be more in the style of OKW and not like BCV. Also how did you see the models yet? Or are you talking about the BCV models at the boardwalk?

Upvote 0

Thespis

I believe that the spa will remain open while the courses changed last year to a "group only" system.
I have heard that the treehouses are in an area that has some endangered wildlife issues so they will remain.
Of course, I could be completely wrong...
:)

Upvote 0

Huggups

Part of me is sad:cry: because we used to stay at the old Vacation Villas in the 80's but now since we belong to the DVC maybe we try them out again even though they'll probably be totally different. It's a good area to stay close to the DTD and not too too far from Epcot (my favorite park):sohappy:

Upvote 0

mickeyfan

Personally I am saddened too!! We have stayed there every year since 1992. I know it was not "themed", but that is one reason why I liked it. I liked the roominess and the solitude of the resort. We have probably stayed there over 20 times. My children still feel a since of loss, they always referred to it as their "home away from home". As a matter of fact, shortly after each of our trips, my youngest daughter would always tell me "I am home away from home sick"!! We have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin and will be trying out Port Orleans Riverside this month, but my kids say they will always miss there "home away from home" resort (they are 10 and 13). I guess I will have to look into purchasing the DVC and choosing that as our "home resort". It's a sentimental thing!!

Farewell Disney Institute!! You will be missed by my family!!

:cry:

Upvote 0

wdwmanager

Original Poster
Sorry I havent posted in a while, I have been working my you know what off.
The Models that I was refering to are the models of the Buildings and the Modle of the rooms. The building are going to be three to four stories tall, and the lay out is like most DVC properties. The Atmosphere is going to be a cross between the OLD instistute and Old Key West. So...you werent to far off. The Models are still in florida (last I heard), But I had heard that they will not be available for public view until about a month or two before they start selling.

:animwink: :animwink: :animwink:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom