Golden Girls

whitemule28

How can no one have remembered to include my favorite building from the backlot tour, from one of my favorite movies growing up?...The Bulldog Cafe from "The Rocketeer"...the one thing I will say though is that Disney didnt seem to do a great job with upkeep of alot of the items on the backlot tour, which gave them a very forgotten and dilapidated look...although this may have been done to emphasize the "bone-yard" aspect of the props and sets...anyone know what happened to The Bulldog Cafe building after the bone-yard was taken out? It wasnt a large object so it could have been moved or sold easily...more so than bigger buildings such as The Golden Girls house.

DizneyPryncess

Demolished?? Oh my :(

I didn't even realize they were destroyed to make way for the new show. I haven't been to MGM in a little while. That is very sad.

Jesùs_Carioca

Somebody, I am begging you to confirm this for me, because sadly I was too young during these events to back it up enough...

but i ridiculously vaguely remember the lights from the Osborne's Festival of Lights Christmas Spectacle used to stretch as far as those houses...

And that you were allowed to walk through that street and see all of the lights shine, along with character meet and greets.

You do now know how much that memory has haunted me for the past years; it has been so long that I am not even sure if what i remembered from it was true. Can anybody please confirm it?

Texas84

Somebody, I am begging you to confirm this for me, because sadly I was too young during these events to back it up enough...

but i ridiculously vaguely remember the lights from the Osborne's Festival of Lights Christmas Spectacle used to stretch as far as those houses...

And that you were allowed to walk through that street and see all of the lights shine, along with character meet and greets.

You do now know how much that memory has haunted me for the past years; it has been so long that I am not even sure if what i remembered from it was true. Can anybody please confirm it?
I don't remember characters, but the lights on the houses were AWESOME! I miss walking down that street. :(

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Jesus, YES, the houses were decked out in tons and tons of lights. I'm not sure about the characters as well, but each and every house that we remember and loved were covered in thousands of lights. You were only allowed to walk down the street when I was there, but it was so pretty.

JasonP

It is a shame. That tour is worthless now. So is the once great walking tour going through the soundstages. BOth of those tours were amazing back in the day. I'll never forget seeing Johnny Five from Short Circuit, or seeing them filming a show in a soundstage. Now both tours are a waste of time. It's a real shame what MGM is. With what Disney is and the catalog that they own, MGM can be a real tour through Hollywood and show some spectacular props/sets. Don't get me wrong, I still love MGM for ToT, RRC, Indiana Jones, Star Tours (even though old), Muppets (May they never touch that) and of course Fantasmic.

slappy magoo

The one thing I can say about the facades, in a strictly Devil's Advocate way, is that they were probably hard to maintain in Fla's weather, AND with each passing year, WDW is filled with new generations of kids that don't have the slightest clue what The Golden Girls is, not to mention Empty Nest and even Home Improvement isn't as prevalent on the pop culture landscape.

WAIT!!!

Before people start writing with comments like "my 6 year old LOVES Golden Girls" or "Home Improvement is on 5 times a day in my neck of the woods," I admit, it's a very BROAD generalization, and doesn't match everyone's catalog TV shows watched and enjoyed. I've argued that we're witnessing a sort of death of pop culture. There's still no lack of crap product to be consumed, but now there's SO much to consume - hundreds of channels of TV, so many movies or shows on DVD or on ripped off online, so much music, etc. - that there are frightfully few pieces of entertainment that cut through the clutter and become part of the national consciousness.

Not trying to sound all old-man-like, but when I grew up, there were three national networks, a handful of syndicated stations, a few PBS stations between VHF & UHF (cable would hit my neighborhood, I think, when I was 11 or 12). Back then, if a TV show only had 10 or 12 million viewers, it was considered a bomb, it wouldn't make it through the season. Now it's considered a hit, because there are so many other options for your eyes and ears. If my friends & I enjoyed a movie, we might see it again and again and again, but now, most movies aren't around long enough to achieve that degree of loyalty, people just wait for the DVD. None of this is a tragedy, but it means there are fewer movies/shows/entertainers everyone knows, and will be able to discuss.

In that sort of cultural climate, celebrating pop culture is kinda tricky. One of the reasons gossip shows are so popular, and probably always will be to some degree, is that it's a centralized place to know who everyone is talking about. You may never see a Lindsay Lohan movie, but you know who she is. You might not ever buy a Britney Spears CD, but you know who she is. Whatever Paris is selling, not all that many people are buying, but get her nekkid and throw nightvision on her, and she's fascinating. Gossip, American Idol, some youtube videos and maybe movie trailers, are pretty much the only things guaranteed to really get in the national consciousness.

When you consider that sort of climate, then it's no surprise that the backlot tour is a shell of what it was. At this point, it's Disney's habit of locking movies in "the vault" and rereleasing them 7 to 10 years later that helps insure they remain a big deal. I'm surprised people like Lucas & Spielberg don't make an effort to do the same thing, pulling their movies off the shelves only to rerelase them later (of course, with the level of AV quality we now possess, not to mention the ability to flawlessly, albiet illegally, reproduce) will rerelease events be a big deal anymore? How much of our pop culture past will survive and be appreciated by future generations, not as history, but as bona fide entertainment to be enjoyed and passed on? Are we, at least in some fashion, witnessing the slow inevitable death of pop culture? Or at least easily-referenced pop culture, where you can make a comment about Michael Jackson and children will understand his music used to be a big deal and he wasn't quite as creepy? Where you can talk about how great the original Saturday Night Live was without someone going "yeah man, those Roxbury guys were FUNNY!" When you can discuss music you loved growing up without kids only knowing it if it were used in a commercial? And where people give a damn if house facades from once-popular shows can still garner attention on a studio lot tour?

Can you tell I'm suffering from insomnia tonight? :D

journeyman

does anyone remember the line in the script the CM used as they passed, i only remember a bit and it was something to do with the letters and the front of the house being in Florida and The rest of the 'house' being in California?

DiPSU224

This probably sounds dumb, but was that the actual facade used during the filming or was that a duplicate of one on another lot to show what a backlot street looks like? :lookaroun
Whenever the front of the house is shown I get all happy because I think of being on the backlot tour. I remember I used to kill myself trying to get the same pic of the house every year from the tram.

SewIn2Disney

This probably sounds dumb, but was that the actual facade used during the filming or was that a duplicate of one on another lot to show what a backlot street looks like? :lookaroun
Whenever the front of the house is shown I get all happy because I think of being on the backlot tour. I remember I used to kill myself trying to get the same pic of the house every year from the tram.
heh---I used to kill myself to get a picture of the GG house every time I went on the ride as well. I believe---based on the placement of the palm trees in my pictures compared to the opening credits, that it was the facade used for the tapings. Keep in mind though, that you never see the GG's in front of their own house, so it's like the same 10-20 clips of the front of their house that they always use (like a morning shot, a bright day shot, cloudy day, rain, night, etc)

In fact---my GG's are on right now. I watch them every day on Lifetime!

(and I watch Home Improvement every afternoon on TBS!)

WDWRLD

I always wondered but I thought that the Golden Girls was on tv for a while before MGM even opened. If this is right there must have been another front facade somewhere in california. Anyhow I really liked the Herbie that would move about in the driveway. LMA to me is a one time hit. Once you see it you know the script and really can see through the story as to how staged it is. The backlot tour was something that was a must do on every trip. It really did give you the feeling of a actual working movie studio and when the tram attendand said "you never know who or what you might see on our backlot" you could really believe it.
The christmas lights were awesome too. They also gave the feeling that you were in small town america walking down a residential street and looking at what everyone had put up.
Alot of things have changed at MGM...DHS. I still look up at the lions mouth and down the subway stairs from the Lottery, The empty sound stages that housed the Mickey Mouse club and the giant bug that you could get on and be superimposed into a short movie and many other little things that used to make it a "working Studio".

bears163

i never got to see those houses on the tour. shame one disney for destroying those. the golden girls is the funniest show. i still watch the reruns all the time & laugh at every joke. shame shame shame. bad disney

WDWRLD

Just did a little research. The first episode of the Golden Girls aired on Sept 14 1985. Thats three and a half years before MGM opened on May 1 1989. Empty Nest, who were the neighbors of the Golden Girls first aired on October 8 1988 just under a year earlier.

CrashNet

Just did a little research. The first episode of the Golden Girls aired on Sept 14 1985. Thats three and a half years before MGM opened on May 1 1989. Empty Nest, who were the neighbors of the Golden Girls first aired on October 8 1988 just under a year earlier.
If you do a little more searching, you'll find that the house used in the shots is actually one located in Pacific Palisades, California. After the house was originally seen in the show, a model of the house was built at Disney and utilized for other exterior shots. Pay close attention to Year 1 shots and later seasons. The first season has different looking exterior shots than those used in later seasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom