Golden Age of the Magic Kingdom?

TikiBears

Original Poster
I was wondering what you all think was the most magical period for the Magic Kingdom in its history? I think 1994 was when the Magic Kingdoms was at its very best. When the park was full of those little nooks of magic that really add up and made the whole experience so wonderful. Before 1/4 of its attractions were "seasonal" or had special hours of operation. And when the park was open later at night and you didnt have to pay for an e-ticket to keep the magic going.
1. The new Tomorrowland had just opened.
2.The Skyway still glided across the sky.
3. Fantasyland had an open e-ticket- 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.
4. Mickeys Star Land was still a "temporary area".
5. The original Tiki Room was a place to relax and unwind.
6. The Keelboats set sail around the Rivers of America.
7. The Davy Crocket Canoes were in operation. <-sometimes
8. Diamond Horseshoe Revue played to full houses.
9. The long forgotten Adventureland Veranda restaurant was seating for meals.
10. Main Street U.S.A. opened 1/2 hr before the rest of the park for shopping and breakfast.
11. Center Street was still a quiet little nook, with its barber shop and flower cart, before the hustle and bustle of the Main Street stripmall came along.
12. 1994 was also the last year for the Penny Arcade and House of Magic.

My feelings for EPCOT Center around this period are the same.

General Grizz

I always thought DHR always played to full houses. It did when I was there. Now there's no SHOW. :(

I would say a golden age existed in 1971 and a Golden Age existed in 1994-5 -- for most of the reasons you just listed! New Tomorrowland was a definite peak in creativity and magic.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I'll go with '94 as well --- Splash Mountain was only two years old and looking fantastic, 20K Leagues Under the Sea, The Enchanted Tiki Room, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Dreamflight and the Skyway were still open, and the New Tomorrowland, complete with The Timekeeper and The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, had just opened. :)

General Grizz

NemoRocks said:
I'll go with '94 as well --- Splash Mountain was only two years old and looking fantastic, 20K Leagues Under the Sea, The Enchanted Tiki Room, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Dreamflight and the Skyway were still open, and the New Tomorrowland, complete with The Timekeeper and The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, had just opened. :)
Could you imagine? Disney adding original characters and songs to the park? Rehabbing the entire Carousel of Progress? Adding dozens of animatronics?

Gosh. . . that doesn't even seem possible anymore. Such were the golden years. :)

basas

I would say around 1995 *weird how everyone has around the same period, huh?*..

- The park was open late, there were lots of smaller attractions ALWAYS open (non-seasonal) (ie: canoes, keelboats, CoP, etc.) and there was no FP that made you rush through the park and themed queues as if on a workday schedule while others in the line didn't move...there was lots of entertainment everywhere, characters roaming the street, and shops that didn't just sell Princesss/Pooh plush.

longfamily

I loved the penny arcade at MK. :D

It's hard to say when the "golden" days of Disney were for me because although, I'm unhappy with the amount of merchandising in the parks, I am still thrilled with the parks in general. I love that every time we go there is a new attraction to see. There is still that odd feeling that nothing has changed.

TikiBears

Original Poster
I dont want to throw this post in another direction but, you bring up the fast pass... It seems as tho the fast pass was necessary because of the long lines. Why were the lines so long? If more attractions were in operation instead of " the entertainmant downsizing" that has been going on, it may not have been as necessary. But, then again if people are standing in line they're not spending money. thanks Pressler

surfsupdon

I'm happy you mentioned the Flower Market. It was really the most secluded, peaceful, and beautiful area of the MK. A picture on our first day was taken seated on those benches with flowers in the background for every single vacation.

Now that Main Street is a strip mall, as aforementioned, and a strip mall that sells the same item throughout to boot, there is a certain essence or a je ne sais quoi that is missing. Quiet nooks for peaceful relaxation and beautiful floral arrangements that are no where near they used to be.

Snoballego

Great Post. Really got me thinking. I vacationed in 1994. I was 14 and had an awesome time with my family. It was an amazing trip. If I remembered correctly Universal and MGM had just recently opened. So it looked like the theme park arms race was about to explode. It would be the last time I went on many of the attractions that you had mentioned. There was just a good buzz about the future and all the possibilities of new attractions with the success of the box office. It was also pre-9/11.

This is debatable. I think Epcot's golden age was around that time too. Although, the year 2000 was a very special year to be at Epcot with Millenium Celebration.

Random...May want to ignore this rambling

I also think that Golden Age of the WDWCP (College Program) ended in the Summer of 2000. As that was a special summer for anyone who worked. After that summer, they went to that fall advantage and spring adavantage business. Back in 2000...It was 3,000 kids taken out of 100,000 applicants to have a great time for ten weeks. After Summer 2000, they marketed trying to get kids to work for 7 months at a time and lowered there standards dramaticly. You had to be grandfathered in to do summer only. By Summer 2002, the CP was half filled with a lot of Junior College/Community College kids who weren't there to network or gain an experience. They were there to take a semester off of college.

Lynx04

I only visited once in the 90s and that was back in 92'. I have gone 4 times int he past 4 years, which haven't been bad. However, since I don't have anything to base my judgement on, I am going to be optimistic, be confident of what the future holds and say,...........2008.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Purely from a being there point of view (as opposed to what we know was built since then) I would have to say Summer of 1975 (no..I WASN`T there then.. I was only 3!!)

The whole world still less than 4 years old... Pirates of the Caribbean 2 years old.... this great glass and concrete tomorrow looking land... thats how the newest malls look don`t they?? Mission to Mars, WEDWay, Starjets, Space Mountain and CoP have all opened in the past year.. so many new rides in 24 months....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I’m going for December 4th and 5th 2004. Why you may ask….because it was the last time I was there. There is a real magic that exists at WDW. When I am there I forget about the stress of my job, paying bills and all that other stuff that make people jump off buildings. It doesn’t matter of COP is open or that AE was changed to SGE. The Magic is not in the rides it is Walt’s vision and the people that made it a reality. From the guy that sells me a hot dog all the way to the total stranger I have an hour conversation with wile standing in a line. It is the face of a child that gets to hug Mickey Mouse for the first time and seeing that’s child 6’2” truck driver father wearing mouse ears and shedding a little tear after seeing how happy his child is. Let’s face it there are plenty of parks with better rides and attractions than WDW but not a one of them can even compare with the feeling I get every single time I pass through the gates at WDW. So to answer you question “When was the golden age of Disney” it is right now.

TikiBears

Original Poster
So magic is not in the rides? but it is partially in the guy that you BUY stuff from? I think everything in the park is magic. And there were times in the park history when there was more detail, more attractions, more entertainment and less people with their hands out for money. To me its those little things that add up to to the grand feeling.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
TikiBears said:
So magic is not in the rides? but it is partially in the guy that you BUY stuff from? I think everything in the park is magic. And there were times in the park history when there was more detail, more attractions, more entertainment and less people with their hands out for money. To me its those little things that add up to to the grand feeling.
That’s what I was trying to imply…..not the guy with his hand out for money the guy that has one of the most menial jobs in all of WDW but still does it with enthusiasm and pride. That good attitude and pride is virtually non existent in the real world but it is everywhere at Disney. And we know that is not because Disney is paying them well because they aren’t, but every cast member I have spoken to seem to understand that they are a part of something bigger than themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom