Going To Try To Take Things Easy This Trip

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
We (my SIL, my 11 year old nephew, and I) will be in WDW in 36 days, for 10 days/9 nights, and this year I am determined to do things differently. No more park commando. I swear every year that I will slow down and smell the roses; but each year, I seem to be more and more determined to do it all.

We are going at a relatively slow time of year, so the lines should not be outrageous.

We are staying on property with a rental car, so less time will be spent getting from resort to park to park.

We already have a DTD afternoon planned, with time set aside to ride the boat to POR.

We have an evening of viewing Wishes from the Poly beach before our dinner at 'Ohana.

I am determined to visit every nook and cranny of World Showcase this trip.

We will be dining at a number of the resorts and will definitely walk around, visit the gift shops, and just soak up the atmosphere of various deluxe resorts - as we do every year.

I plan on foregoing PhotoPass this trip and taking more of my own photos, as this forces you to actually stop. Any other recommendations as to how to stop being so commando while in the parks?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, I mean dog. One of my fellow handlers was out of town and when the pups are at the kennels, other handlers will feed and exercise them. This one decided to get aggressive. Yes, I'm fine now, thanks. You don't need professional help, its a legit phobia. Also, in reference to your passes, dedicate a time or morning to do nothing then. I'll be in the World in two days. Enjoy your trip.

I hope the other officer's dog did not cause any permanent injury to you, and that you are feeling much better. Most dogs are wonderful; I'm sure your own K-9 is a great dog. My husband and I have a cute, Chow/Lab mix that we adopted about 4 years ago from a shelter. His name is Jack and he's our buddy.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

We love trying to take it easy as well. We normally go in now with the attitude of just doing a couple of attractions, the must dos. But it always ends up devolving into a mad rush. I think it is your right, no, your DUTY, to do as much as possible. LOL

Upvote 0

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Our trips never have any ADR's and our planning consists of MK first day then the rest of the disney parks in the order that the bus turns up at the resort.Makes for a nice relaxing holiday and no "we didn't get that done " dissapointment.We still manage to get plenty done tbh (think time of the year helps).
Plus going commando at the parks really starts to chafe as the day heats up :in pain:

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Our trips never have any ADR's and our planning consists of MK first day then the rest of the disney parks in the order that the bus turns up at the resort.Makes for a nice relaxing holiday and no "we didn't get that done " dissapointment.We still manage to get plenty done tbh (think time of the year helps).
Plus going commando at the parks really starts to chafe as the day heats up :in pain:
Yesh! So what if you did not do it all, the things you do are better enjoyed. We don't plan around ADRs, travel in slower times and if we can't get a walk up at our first choice, we always have many other choices! I love that you two are spontaneous. Nothing against people who plan their trip down to the minute, but I just believe we, like blondes, have more fun!

Upvote 0

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yesh! So what if you did not do it all, the things you do are better enjoyed. We don't plan around ADRs, travel in slower times and if we can't get a walk up at our first choice, we always have many other choices! I love that you two are spontaneous. Nothing against people who plan their trip down to the minute, but I just believe we, like blondes, have more fun!
Testify :bookworm: :D

Upvote 0

Britt

Here's an idea. You say you are going for 10 days? How about only buying tickets for 8 days. That's WILL force you to slow down and enjoy the resort(s). I also apologize for not being on here the last few weeks. I've been out of the country and when I got back, one of the K9s decided he wanted to use me as a chew toy. I've been recovering and now I'm sore but good to go.
Whoa :( that's scary! Glad you're ok!!

Where did you travel to??

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I don't want to relax, per se.
I just want to slow down and appreciate the little things.
I want to oooh and aaah over the details that I obsess over on the internet, but rush right past in real life.

There was a whole series on another site highlighting the architecture of the DHS buildings, comparing Disney's version to the real life inspiration. And me, I just charge through that park, head down on my way to grab TSMM Fastpasses.

This year, I'm going to look up. Look down. Look left and right. And soak in all the details.
(And ride. And eat. And watch shows. And get up early. And stay out late.). Hey, I'm still human.

Yes, I do understand. And I agree that would be nice to do. I just don't see myself doing it any time soon - at least not much. We did make a point of visiting certain resorts on our last trip because it was our first holiday season trip, and we wanted to see some of the decorations. I suppose that counts. We just did it at our usual breakneck pace! ;)

Upvote 0

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Original Poster
We love trying to take it easy as well. We normally go in now with the attitude of just doing a couple of attractions, the must dos. But it always ends up devolving into a mad rush. I think it is your right, no, your DUTY, to do as much as possible. LOL
I fear you are correct.

Upvote 0

Wisconsin

Many people are used to a fast paced lifestyle with a million places to go and lots to do every day. If you have a pressure filled job I think that feeds into the "Hurry up!" feeling you get in the parks. It seems I have to force myself to slow down at WDW. It takes a day or two to adjust to vacation!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I did several things to help slow my pace down. I started by looking more at the small things I used to pass by. The dedicated windows on Main Street, the various building signs, billboards, crates around the parks. I also bought years ago the Passporters Treasure hunt book which has things to search out throughout the separate parts of the parks and resorts. So theres a host of things to do to slow yourself down as long as you have the willpower to put the brakes on. As many times as I have been to WDW I am never bored and always finding new things, you just have to make a point to look.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Yes, I mean dog. One of my fellow handlers was out of town and when the pups are at the kennels, other handlers will feed and exercise them. This one decided to get aggressive. Yes, I'm fine now, thanks. You don't need professional help, its a legit phobia. Also, in reference to your passes, dedicate a time or morning to do nothing then. I'll be in the World in two days. Enjoy your trip.

Stitches needed? Hope you are one who heals quickly. Those punctures from teeth sure sting. :in pain: I've had my share of dog bites...even being watchful they can be just quick enough and catch you off guard. I had one last year just miss my eye and hit my cheek. Bent over to put his bowl down and I saw a flash.. :banghead: I'm healthy, see my doctor for physicals but looking through my file it's mostly from when I've been bitten. Best to you as you recover.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

I don't want to relax, per se.
I just want to slow down and appreciate the little things.
I want to oooh and aaah over the details that I obsess over on the internet, but rush right past in real life.

There was a whole series on another site highlighting the architecture of the DHS buildings, comparing Disney's version to the real life inspiration. And me, I just charge through that park, head down on my way to grab TSMM Fastpasses.

This year, I'm going to look up. Look down. Look left and right. And soak in all the details.
(And ride. And eat. And watch shows. And get up early. And stay out late.). Hey, I'm still human.

↑ This.

My DH and I are usually now the only two on our trip and we can do pretty much what we want. We don't take pictures anymore which is quite liberating. We also don't do DDP, because it really does interfere with your park enjoyment. We just stop and eat when we get hungry, and plan 1-2 TS meals for the week.

Upvote 0

EOD K9

Stitches needed? Hope you are one who heals quickly. Those punctures from teeth sure sting. :in pain: I've had my share of dog bites...even being watchful they can be just quick enough and catch you off guard. I had one last year just miss my eye and hit my cheek. Bent over to put his bowl down and I saw a flash.. :banghead: I'm healthy, see my doctor for physicals but looking through my file it's mostly from when I've been bitten. Best to you as you recover.
Deep punctures that were left open. I'm healing nicely thank you. The waters of Castaway Cay have healing properties. Have a good one!

Upvote 0

smk

This may sound weird, but if I were actively attempting to "stop and smell the roses" in Disney world, I would try to literally stop and smell the various "smells of Disney." It's like the movie The Parent Trap, when Haley Mills meets her grandpa for the first time literally smells him! She says she's doing it to make a memory. Every time you see a unique flower/plant or smell a unique smell at Disney, stop and take a second to breathe it in. Then, take a picture nearby that "smell" so you can remember that little detail of your trip.
You are the first person to ever mention that part of the movie! It is one of my favorites movies and I love that part!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom